shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions on this colored diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

really_clueless

Rough_Rock
We''ve found this diamond at a local B&M store and really really like it. Please give me your thoughts/opinions on this stone. I have no idea if the proportions are right. What is the effect of the yellow-green flourescence? If someone can also give me an estimate of how much the fair price should be, that will be a big help too!

Thank you so much!!!

Specs per EGL report:

Weight: 1.44 ct
Measurement: 6.55 x 6.54 x 4.15 mm
Cut: Square Emerald Step

Proportions:
Depth: 63.5%
Table: 66%
Crown: 12.4%
Pavillion: 47.6%
Girdle: Medium Polished
Cutlet: None

Finish:
Polish: Good
Symmetry: Good

Clarity Grade: VS1
Flour: Yellow-Green Pattern
Absorption Spectra: None

Color grade: Fancy Vivid Yellow Orange
Distribution: Even

yellowsparkles

Shiny_Rock
Sorry, I don''t know anything about emerald cuts - but I would love to see a picture of this!!!

really_clueless

Rough_Rock
That''s our biggest regret! We didn''t take a picture of it when we were there. The picture on the cert which was only fax to me is not very clear.

yellowsparkles

Shiny_Rock
Fancy vivid yellow orange..... I would like to see in person. All I know is with colored diamonds, you have to just look around and compare prices. It is really crazy and there is not a uniform price list.

I am sure someone else will be able to help you with the EGL report. Can you say what the seller was asking for it?

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Hi Really Clueless and welcome to Pricescope!
35.gif

This is not an easy question! I hope some of the experts chime in. I''m not one of them, but I''ll give you my 2 cents.

This sounds like a REALLY interesting stone! Sounds like a fancy-colored asscher! Wow.

When a regular diamond has blue floro, under a UV fluorescent light, the stone will glow blue. Floro comes in degrees of intensity - faint, medium, strong, very strong. Because natural daylight has UV rays, you can often see the effects of floro - the stone may display some blue, or if the stone is slightly yellow, it can appear whiter in daylight.

For this stone, "vivid yellow orange" means the stone is predominantly orange with overtones of yellow. If the floro is "yellow-green pattern", it will glow yellowish green when exposed to UV rays. I''m not sure what "pattern" means - perhaps the floro isn''t even? Your specs don''t say anything about the intensity of the floro. From what I understand, floro colors other than blue are rare, so this is pretty interesting. I would ask to see the stone under a UV Floro bulb to verify.

How does the stone appear? Green on top of orange sounds brown to me - is this what you see?

I would be a little concerned about the "Good" rating for symmetry. I would think the lesser symmetry grade would be visible. You have to decide if that bothers you. The L/W is almost perfectly square at 1.001. I''d rather not make a judgment about the depth and table without seeing a picture. The stone is not overly deep, so it has good spread for its weight.

In terms of pricing, I have no idea. Usually, the more intense and pure the color, the more valuable the diamond. Floro above "faint" typically lowers the price of a diamond, but with this fancy, I have no idea.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 4/13/2007 10:38:19 AM
Author:really_clueless
We've found this diamond at a local B&M store and really really like it. Please give me your thoughts/opinions on this stone. I have no idea if the proportions are right. What is the effect of the yellow-green flourescence? If someone can also give me an estimate of how much the fair price should be, that will be a big help too!

Thank you so much!!!

Specs per EGL report:

Weight: 1.44 ct
Measurement: 6.55 x 6.54 x 4.15 mm
Cut: Square Emerald Step

Proportions:
Depth: 63.5%
Table: 66%
Crown: 12.4%
Pavillion: 47.6%
Girdle: Medium Polished
Cutlet: None

Finish:
Polish: Good
Symmetry: Good

Clarity Grade: VS1
Flour: Yellow-Green Pattern
Absorption Spectra: None

Color grade: Fancy Vivid Yellow Orange
Distribution: Even
Firstly, I never knew EGL grades fancy colored Diamonds!
Second, Fancy colored Diamonds must be judged with eyes (even with GIA or other reports.)
Thirdly, if the grade is accurate..., and it describes the actuall colorof the Diamond..., it would categorize this Diamond as a Rare and Expensive sought after Diamond!!!

A picture will help..., but by no-means is an accurate tool for purchasing methods... this type of Diamonds must be judged in real life!!!!

Good luck,

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Just a question, is this a naturally yellow diamond? Or is it possible that it could be color enhanced? I ask because at least around here any color diamonds at local B&M's usually were white diamonds that were "treated" to make it a different color. Since EGL will grade enhanced diamonds, I just wanted to clarify what kind of color it was.

If it's a natural color I would imagine this would be a really really expensive stone.

If it is not naturally yellow but was made that way, the value would drop drastically.

It's an important question to ask before you buy it if you haven't already.

ETA: I also believe you can request a report called an "Origin of Color" report which will identify whether the stone is enhanced or naturally yellow.

really_clueless

Rough_Rock
Thank you for your quick responses and very informative comments!

I think it might have been enhanced and as we are new to this, we did not ask that question to the seller when we went there.
7.gif
Wouldn''t that show in the cert? Or would there be another report that would say that?

I don''t think we saw any shade of brown when we looked at the stone. It was very orangy yellow to me. But we didn''t look at it yet at different lighting conditions.

Would you know any good places online to look for colored diamonds?

widget

Ideal_Rock
(Edited to add: I wrote the following assuming that the diamond in question was a natural fancy colored stone)

Holy smokes...it certainly does sound interesting. I know I'd I'd be interested if I stumbled into such a rock.
1.gif

I'm not an expert, but I do have some thoughts. In general, emerald cut fancy colored diamonds are quite rare. Intense or vivid ones rarer still.

While cut quality is of first importance when considering and pricing white diamonds, I think it is a little less so in fancies. In fancies, it's all about color.

I couldn't even guess about price, except to suppose it must be pretty darned expensive.

The only thing that sort of bothers me about this is that I don't understand why this stone wasn't originally graded by GIA.

You say you really like this diamond. I think if you pass on it, it will be a long time before you find another similar one.

Again....I'm not an expert, and am VERY EAGER to hear what they might say...

Oh...BTW....welcome to PS!
35.gif

widget

widget

Ideal_Rock
I just wanted to add that everything I babbled about in my post above assumed it was a natural colored diamond.

If it is enhanced, it''s a whole different ballgame. You say you have a copy of the cert....surely it mentions whether or not the color is natural??

widget

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/13/2007 11:53:05 AM
Author: really_clueless
Thank you for your quick responses and very informative comments!

I think it might have been enhanced and as we are new to this, we did not ask that question to the seller when we went there.
7.gif
Wouldn''t that show in the cert? Or would there be another report that would say that?

I don''t think we saw any shade of brown when we looked at the stone. It was very orangy yellow to me. But we didn''t look at it yet at different lighting conditions.

Would you know any good places online to look for colored diamonds?

Here''s the hard part about "certifications". GIA or AGS are known as the two best places to get a report from. They WILL NOT grade diamonds that are in mounts, clarity enhanced, or heat enhanced. So if it is graded by one of those labs you know it''s not. But EGL has lower standards and WILL grade diamonds with all kinds of enhancements and even will grade ones in a mounting. So it is imperitive to get a "origin of color" report. While it is a personal preference about whether you will want a man-enhanced colored stone or not, it will GREATLY affect the price, so you really need to know this before you shell out some serious cash.

Diamonds by Lauren is known for having some very nice yellows, so try there. Otherwise I would see if any of the traditional PS vendors (Mark at ERD or Whiteflash) could source something for you.

But bear in mind that a 1.44 carat yellow diamond (that is NOT enhanced) will be a LOT more expensive than the same size white diamond, especially if it is a really vivid color.

really_clueless

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much! Am so so so glad to have stumbled on this forum at the point where we really need some expert advice.

We really like the stone because of the cut and the vividness of the color. It was our first time to see that color and that cut in person so am sure you guys can imagine how our hearts stopped at that moment. We knew it was the type of stone we''ve been searching for.

Thanks for sharing that website - I will check it out!

Scott Terence

Shiny_Rock
Would you happen to know if it was EGL-USA who did the grading? It has been my experience that they are pretty specific about origin of color if the stone is color graded fancy... typically they perform an absorbance spectra as well to help confirm natural vs treated vs lab-created. Sounds like the stone has the potential to be very beautiful. Any plans on how you''d set it if you got it? :)

really_clueless

Rough_Rock
It was EGL USA. I will check with the vendor this weekend to learn more about the stone.

Am leaning towards Simon G but haven''t fixed my mind yet. Would you have any suggestions?

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Regarding colored diamonds, is the fluorecent graded differently? It doesn''t list the saturation of the fluor. I may be talking out of line - but the fluor should help the fancy color of the stone.

Again, I have no issues with EGL stones - but I wonder if they grade colored diamonds. And, if the fluor may boost the color rating to vivid?

I''ve always heard that GIA is the way to go with colored diamonds. But, that''s just something I heard.

This is some kind of interesting stone. What is the ballpark?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results