shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions on this blue sapphire?

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My local jeweler is going out of business, and is offering this stone to me. I’m not a fan of the setting, so ignore that. I have seen it in person, and it looks good to me, but I’m a diamond girl, so I’d like some expert opinions. I’ll attach the GIA cert. he’s offering it for $9,000. Does that seem fair? He thinks is Kashmir, but I don’t see mention of that on the cert. 72719859758__E32D8381-99C6-49A2-BAD3-3E7258209334.jpeg

Avondale

Brilliant_Rock
Difficult to judge a sapphire by a report only. Please post pictures of the ring if you have any, otherwise any advice given will be limited.

Also, jeweller may think and suggest everything, but the GIA stated origin is Sri Lanka, not Kashmir.

At 10x7mm I’d assume the stone is somewhere around the 3ct mark. Unless the colour is outstanding, 9k for a 3ct heated sapphire ring would be a bit steep, especially at supposedly liquidation price levels.

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My local jeweler is going out of business, and is offering this stone to me. I’m not a fan of the setting, so ignore that. I have seen it in person, and it looks good to me, but I’m a diamond girl, so I’d like some expert opinions. I’ll attach the GIA cert. he’s offering it for $9,000. Does that seem fair? He thinks is Kashmir, but I don’t see mention of that on the cert. 72719859758__E32D8381-99C6-49A2-BAD3-3E7258209334.jpeg

3.72 carats

FL_runner

Brilliant_Rock
as above, the price is still higher than I would expect for a heated stone in this situation. Do you have pics and video? The photo on the certificate looks dark but it’s not really possible to judge for you just from that. Did you love it in person?

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is a bit high even if it includes the setting. Hard to really say without actual pictures of the ring. It is nice that it has a GIA report but that doesn't mean it should command a high price.

gingercurls

Shiny_Rock
The ring is very pretty. Based on the report, the sapphire is not from Kashmir. In the report photo, the stone appears to be a little bit dark. I personally would not pay that price for that ring.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If the jeweler meant it was “kashmir like” instead of trying to say the GIA report was wrong
and the color IRL performed all over to my dreams of what famed “kasmir-like” meant
I’d entertain the price, yeah.

but going off that picture or just thinking it’s a bargain stone due to their close out, I’d pass.

id love a super saturated darker blue sapphire someday!

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
as above, the price is still higher than I would expect for a heated stone in this situation. Do you have pics and video? The photo on the certificate looks dark but it’s not really possible to judge for you just from that. Did you love it in person?

It’s very nice in person. So he’s giving me a “package deal” for the sapphire and an 18k bangle, both for 11k.

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s very nice in person. So he’s giving me a “package deal” for the sapphire and an 18k bangle, both for 11k.

Does the sapphire sing to you in person?

Grymera

Shiny_Rock
Personally, I think if you're questioning it, it's not the right sapphire for you. You should be over the moon with your selection. I really considered returning my latest sapphire acquisition because it wasn't what I set out for on paper, but I couldn't bear to take the ring off or send it back, it just kept my attention. Don't settle with such an expensive purchase.

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good points, everyone. He hyped it up so much I felt like I should love it - but I guess I didn't / don't. I'll have the chance to see it again on Saturday. I'll have to give this some thought for sure.

Here's a joke - His price on the tag of this ring is $62k!!!

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
That list price is astronomical for that ring! He's trying to get someone else to think it's Kashmir.:lol:
It isn't.
Meh, offer 8k for both, if you really like it. It's inky in it's cert photo, though it may look better- can't tell without pictures. If you don't love it, save your money.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good points, everyone. He hyped it up so much I felt like I should love it - but I guess I didn't / don't. I'll have the chance to see it again on Saturday. I'll have to give this some thought for sure.

Hahahahahahaha 62k!?!?!? That's hilarious. My guess is he is trying to hard sell you because he knows it's not worth what he's asking.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
That list price is astronomical for that ring! He's trying to get someone else to think it's Kashmir.:lol:
It isn't.
Meh, offer 8k for both, if you really like it. It's inky in it's cert photo, though it may look better- can't tell without pictures. If you don't love it, save your money.

Can we see the bangle too? :mrgreen:

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Has the bangle got a lot of diamonds and gold? If it’s hefty, we could help you do a price breakdown and see if it’s a decent deal.

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The whole thing hinges on the quality of the sapphire and we can't say much from this image:

Screen Shot 2024-01-17 at 10.32.10 PM.png

Figure $2K for the mounting (and it does not look like there is a ton invested there -- no chunky side-stones, for example) and then it's < $2K/ct for an at-least-decent heat-only Ceylon sapphire that appeals to you. Seems potentially OK. But none of us can tell if it's a terrible or gorgeous sapphire. It looks "royal" tone but there is no royal designation on the report, which GIA does, so I suspect it's not exceptional. Could still be very appealing.

I do not fully trust the 3.72 ct description from someone with this report who told you he thought it was Kashmir (!?) -- unless perhaps there is an inscription inside the ring.

Avondale

Brilliant_Rock

He's trying to price it as if it was Kashmir and unheated, even though it's neither. :lol:

You know what this reminds me of? The businesses that all year long sell something for, say, 200$ on the price tag, but once Black Friday comes, that price tag magically now says "199$ / 750$".

Although dark blue sapphires aren't universally desirable, they can be stunningly beautiful - if the colour knocks your socks off. You want a gorgeous, saturated blue that you can stare at for minutes at a time. You want, when you put it next to other sapphires, the other sapphires to just, disappear, for you to not notice them, to have eyes only for this magical blue.

If that ring doesn't do this for you, you can walk away with no regrets.

If it does, well, then maybe the price is worth it.

I do not fully trust the 3.72 ct description

Well, for what it's worth, a basic gemstone weight calculator estimates it at 3,38ct based on the measurements on the GIA report. If the bottom is fat enough, 3,72 isn't entirely out of the question. But I agree that an inscription inside the ring would be a good indicator.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
but there is no royal designation on the report, which GIA does

Would they do this for this type of mounted gem report?

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here’s a pic of the bangle - and looking at the tag, it's 14k not 18k! 72677347873__412D2702-F2AE-493F-AD7E-5C1B84CD061E.jpeg

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unless you love it, don’t get it. It’s not a deal.

If they are pieces you can use, bargain them down! I have pieces that I don’t necessarily love but they are useful so get a lot of wear.

Grymera

Shiny_Rock
Yikes!! No wonder this jeweler is going out of business if he's misrepresenting items and upselling. Maybe it's best to walk away at this point?

Am I misreading that the list price on that bangle is TWELVE THOUSAND DOLLARS? That's insane! There are so many braided bangles like that you could easily find for under $2k, maybe even around $1k if you're lucky

I did 5 mins of searching on TRR (none of these are affiliate links or anything)
1705582651652.png
14k, $2k - most similar in style

1705582709395.png
21k 1.7ctw $3k

1705582765383.png
18k, $1.7k

This one is cheap as chips. It might even be worth it to buy it and replace the diamonds with some triple excellents at this price:

1705582804528.png
14k $545 bracelet

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you all so much for your input. I just needed a reality check I guess. I'm heavily leaning toward walking away from both at this point.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yikes!! No wonder this jeweler is going out of business if he's misrepresenting items and upselling. Maybe it's best to walk away at this point?

Am I misreading that the list price on that bangle is TWELVE THOUSAND DOLLARS? That's insane! There are so many braided bangles like that you could easily find for under $2k, maybe even around $1k if you're lucky

I did 5 mins of searching on TRR (none of these are affiliate links or anything)
1705582651652.png
14k, $2k - most similar in style

1705582709395.png
21k 1.7ctw $3k

1705582765383.png
18k, $1.7k

This one is cheap as chips. It might even be worth it to buy it and replace the diamonds with some triple excellents at this price:

1705582804528.png
14k $545 bracelet

Lol I did rhw same double take.

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium

So I was not going to disclose this but I think it will help you make your decision! The ring in my avatar is by JB Star. The Sapphire is over 3cts set in platinum and came with a GIA report as well. I was over the moon when I saw it! When the Vendor told me how much, I was so surprised that the wheels were turning how to make the purchase. It was less than $9k including tax!! Find something that makes your heart sing! Don't settle as I have 1 too many times!! They are out there!

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Walk away. You're more powerful in the Force, because you have us.
These are not the droids you're looking for.:lol:

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Would they do this for this type of mounted gem report?

They (GIA) did for the tiny cab I have in a ring. I didn't "need" that designation but it was helpful to have that piece of information to supplement the vendor's description.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Agree with the others, $9,000 is retail price. The sapphire is quite dark without any vividness so not a fantastic stone. The setting is nice enough. The bangle at around $1,500 would be reasonable.
this diamond setting I bought off eBay for around $2,500. IMG_2647.jpeg

FL_runner

Brilliant_Rock
For context I have a smaller (2.5 ct) dark sapphire that’s glowy in sunlight in a Tacori setting that in ought preloved for around $2500 a few years ago. I have a smaller, lighter sapphire where I paid a similar price. The bangle id consider up to $1500 if you really like it. D397EB14-6F8F-4DAC-99A5-EFF2B39DC8FD.jpeg

Attachments

• FA8A2193-BB17-4C53-9969-0BD0A0B17FE4.jpeg
    FA8A2193-BB17-4C53-9969-0BD0A0B17FE4.jpeg
    150.4 KB · Views: 12
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results