shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions on this auction offering: emerald cut eternity band

Sophie6

Rough_Rock
Hi All, I have a couple recent posts about my search for a special 40th anniversary purchase. I am looking for a band ring, eternity or partial eternity. I am trying to be patient and stay open to a variety of options. I found this emerald cut eternity band on a local auction site. Would appreciate opinions on the quality of the diamonds, the item in general and ideas of reasonable cost. Please note in the description the comment about a crack in the under gallery. There are no pictures clearly showing this. Is this something that could be repaired? Or is it a deal breaker? Thanks in advance. IMG_2708.png

Attachments

• IMG_2707.png
    IMG_2707.png
    657.3 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_2706.jpeg
    IMG_2706.jpeg
    183.9 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_2704.jpeg
    IMG_2704.jpeg
    186.8 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_2703.png
    IMG_2703.png
    872.7 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_2702.png
    IMG_2702.png
    846.3 KB · Views: 56

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations on your upcoming 40th!

Can’t really give advice - but can only say how I would approach this ring auction

Consider the mounting as free - but mentally prepare for springing for a new one to be done

Laser welded as possible temporary fix for occasional wear (looks like not much under gallery structure support like what’s typical? Idk tho) I’m sure the jeweler who did the repair could opinion on it

Pick a easy gut feeling % off retail price for compare like stones at James Allen

Fingers crossed for not many chips/nicks on stones

Fingers crossed for you!

Wildcard would be visual cut performance across the auction ring’s stones - and what IDJ/the like would charge to build for similar stats including that cut factor. If it’s a high parameter, that is.

Last edited:

Sophie6

Rough_Rock
Congratulations on your upcoming 40th!

Can’t really give advice - but can only say how I would approach this ring auction

Consider the mounting as free - but mentally prepare for springing for a new one to be done

Laser welded as possible temporary fix for occasional wear (looks like not much under gallery structure support like what’s typical? Idk tho) I’m sure the jeweler who did the repair could opinion on it

Pick a easy gut feeling % off retail price for compare like stones at James Allen

Fingers crossed for not many chips/nicks on stones

Fingers crossed for you!

Wildcard would be visual cut performance across the auction ring’s stones - and what IDJ/the like would charge to build for similar stats including that cut factor. If it’s a high parameter, that is.

Good thoughts, thanks. Generally speaking this auction site will note damage to the stones but I’m sure it could slip by without mention. What do you mean by visual cut performance?

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Have you tried on an emerald cut eternity ring before to make sure that it’s comfortable on your finger?

Also, I am not sure that a 1/4 size increase from your normal size is enough for long term comfort.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What do you mean by visual cut performance?

The info that isn’t given doesn’t tell you or me is if their faceting performs well, or decent, or meh, and similar to each other, or if snaggletooth oddballs are there.

don’t know if someone smarter than I could tell by table / depth percentages if one had access to all 16 reports.

Auctions are gambles. You can’t win if you don’t play tho :lol:

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Slightly less ctw comp:

IMG_8638.png

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Not sure if this is what you rare looking for but saw it this AM online and thought I'd post it.

Much success to you.

cheers--Sharon

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Just wondering if the ring is at auction because it is damaged. Deal breaker for me.

cheers--Sharon

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Slightly less ctw comp:

IMG_8638.png

This has a much better setting than the other....
The setting the op posted is very spindly and light, a break is not surprising and a total deal breaker.
The ring itself is scrap value outside of the stones.

Sophie6

Rough_Rock
Thanks to all. I see from the comments this ring is not worth the risk. Obtaining further info is not an option so ruling it out at this point.

Sophie6

Rough_Rock
HI:

Not sure if this is what you rare looking for but saw it this AM online and thought I'd post it.

Much success to you.

cheers--Sharon

This is gorgeous. Love it. But out of my budget.

Sophie6

Rough_Rock
The info that isn’t given doesn’t tell you or me is if their faceting performs well, or decent, or meh, and similar to each other, or if snaggletooth oddballs are there.

don’t know if someone smarter than I could tell by table / depth percentages if one had access to all 16 reports.

Auctions are gambles. You can’t win if you don’t play tho :lol:

I’m not a big gambler! ;-)

Sophie6

Rough_Rock
Have you tried on an emerald cut eternity ring before to make sure that it’s comfortable on your finger?

Also, I am not sure that a 1/4 size increase from your normal size is enough for long term comfort.

I have not tried on a similar ring. Would 1/2 size larger generally work?

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
I have not tried on a similar ring. Would 1/2 size larger generally work?

It really depends on your comfort level. I'm guessing that the ring height will be about 5 mm off the finger in every direction. You should make sure that a ring of that type is comfortable for you.

Maybe order this tester:

Sophie6

Rough_Rock
It really depends on your comfort level. I'm guessing that the ring height will be about 5 mm off the finger in every direction. You should make sure that a ring of that type is comfortable for you.

Maybe order this tester:

Great idea! And worth the $

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
For the slight price differential, seems like it would be better to try a vintage and returnable version.

luckygreen317

Brilliant_Rock
FYI. This ring sold for $9200 at auction. In case anyone was curious.

.40 carat emerald cuts x approximately $675 each
FYI. This ring sold for $9200 at auction. In case anyone was curious.

It seems to have sold for what the stones would cost. However, the legwork of finding 14 emerald cuts in similar size and color have been done. There are 14 stones approximately .40 each x $670 (average price) = $9,380. What is not included are the auction fees, “handling” fees, shipping costs and taxes added to the sold price. I found out the hard way on this auction site. Now I bid with that in mind.

I suspect this ring (as mounted) was bothersome to wear often due to it’s height and rubbing between fingers.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
16 stones - but your reasoning is solid!

Chubby finger club means a ring like this isn’t ever in the cards - regretfully and thankfully I guess? :lol:

multiple dossier were less than a year old - so it’s relatively new and someone’s regretful purchase, or maybe it was replacements?

luckygreen317

Brilliant_Rock
16 stones - but your reasoning is solid!

Chubby finger club means a ring like this isn’t ever in the cards - regretfully and thankfully I guess? :lol:

multiple dossier were less than a year old - so it’s relatively new and someone’s regretful purchase, or maybe it was replacements?

Thanks for the clarification. To figure the number of stones, I took .40 carat off one of the GIA grading cards and divided that by the total carat weight.

Sophie6

Rough_Rock
I ordered the cz ring from Amazon. It came today but I’m not at home :( Will post pics. Also in the vein of keeping my options open and looking for the ring that really just calls to me, I am posting a thread about an estate ring at a local jeweler. Please chime in on that one!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I ordered the cz ring from Amazon. It came today but I’m not at home :( Will post pics. Also in the vein of keeping my options open and looking for the ring that really just calls to me, I am posting a thread about an estate ring at a local jeweler. Please chime in on that one!

Any updates?

Sophie6

Rough_Rock
Thank you for asking. I received the Cz ring and wow! It was pretty awesome looking. I did not have an opportunity to make pics. Caring for a family member out of town and I didn’t want to miss the return window. But it was a great exercise as even though it was beautiful it helped confirm that I am most interested in RB stones. Also due to situation I did not get to see the estate ring at the jewelers. I was so disappointed in this as from the images it looked lovely. But I’m pushing the patience button over and over. The right one will come along or I may go the custom route.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results