shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions on this 3 carat stone, please!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Googleman

Rough_Rock
Okay, here are the stats on this stone. Please let me know your thoughts:

GIA Certed
RBC
Weight: 3.04 carat
Depth: 59.0% (this is according to the Sarin--GIA report says 58.9%)
Crown Angle: 31.1
Crown Height: 12.5%
Pavil Angle: 41.2
Pavil Depth: 43.3%
Culet: 0.3%
Table Size: 59.1%
Girdle Thickness: 2.0% (slightly thick)
Color: G
Clarity: SI2
Polish: Good
Symmetry: Good

I have also been told that this stone is eye clean. When I look at the cert there are not very many inclusions mapped out, but under comments it does say, "Additional clouds are not shown." I don''t know if this is something I should be worried about. Obviously I would get the stone professionally checked out should I decide to move forward, and the seller has a good return policy. Comments!?!?!

jcdiamonds

Rough_Rock
Hi Googleman,

From the certificate (please see below), it seems to be extremely eye clean.
As for "additional clouds", that's quite normal and is nothing to worry about.
appl.gif

304GIA.jpg

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
The crown angle is quite shallow... Why don't you look at a smaller stone w/ a higher clarity grade and a better cut? Is the 3ct mark very important for you?

Giangi
1.gif

Googleman

Rough_Rock
Is it very bad to have a shallow crown angle?

With respect to something with finding something with better clarity, I am only concerned about what I can see. Personally, I would not like to put money into a VS1 or probably a VS2 stone when I believe I can get an SI1 (which would be my preference) or and SI2 that is eye clean.

The 3 carat mark is not that important. I would go smaller. This one just looked interesting to me.

I didn't think the cut on this stone was so terrible. Maybe I am misunderstanding. I realize that it would not fall into the AGS 0 cut grade (53-57 table, 60.5-63.5 depth--or whatever those parameters are). But the HCA is telling me that it could potentially be an attractive stone with a lot of life. !?!?!?!?!

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
The cut isn't orrible at all... The stone has a nice make, but not super ideal... I just suggested you to keep looking for a nicer (maybe ideal) make, but if you like this stone, go for it! Also, the seller told you that the stone is eye-clean... You're lucky, as I haven't seen many 3cts w/SI 2 that were eye clean! I can't tell the inclusions very well from the plot, as they are a bit faded... Probably it's just the scan. Let us know your decisions! Good luck!

Giangi

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
This stone does sound interesting. I would assume the HCA gave it a good score (too lazy to type in the #s myself). The 31.1 crown angle is shallow but not THAT shallow, you should not go under 30 degrees ideally...and your pav angle sounds inline with where it should be. The table and depth seem to almost be the same, that is interesting. This stone will probably have more brilliance and fire than scintillation...be more 'white' sparkly. Have you seen the stone yourself?

The plot on the GIA cert looks amazingly clean for an SI2. I would ask the dealer to clarify where the inclusions are and fax the cert to you so you can see where they are because the cert is a bit faded. But if it does check out, then a G SI2 which is super clean sounds like a great deal.

Hopefully some of the experts will weigh in on the shallower crown angle with their thoughts. Rich, Garry, Rhino everyone else?
1.gif

tyson

Rough_Rock
Hi Googleman,

There is one thing about the certificate you may want to further research. If you look at the key to symbols, it apears as though the scan was chopped off right below the second key ("cloud"). Thus, it is possible that there are more inclusions listed that were left off of the scan. If this is the case, I am sure it was not intentional, but rather an artifact of the scanning process (images tend to get cropped). I only call this to your attention because this happened to me once- received via e-mail a scanned copy of the stone and when I received the stone with the actual certificate there were a few additional comments under the inclusions key to symbols. Just something to consider. . . Good luck!

Googleman

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the advice.

With respect to the cleanliness of this stone, I have been told it is very clean. (It would be an online purchase, so I haven't seen the stone.) However, the seller has a generous return policy (30 days), so if it didn't measure up, I feel confident that I could return it.

By the way, the stone is from Icestore.com. I have enjoyed dealing with them thus far. And they were able to provide a Sarin report for this stone, which most other vendors were not able to provide me for the stones I was interested in. Price is $19,608. Anyone had experience with them!?!?!?!

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Sounds like it could be a very nice stone. Only your eyes (with the guidance of an appraiser) can be the final judge.

Go for the 3c - I think you have massaged the parameters to get a nice stone at a decent price.

Good luck, hope it is the stone of your dreams.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Hey Google, just out of curiosity, are you a man or a woman?

Your name is Googleman, but your picture is Googlewomanish...

Anyway, it looks like a pretty sharp stone to me. With GIA grading, it's liable to be a good SI2. They're usually pretty conservative.

I ran the specs through the DiamCalc program, and it came out with great results on the light return (brilliance):

Light Return (mono)…...: 1.00 Very Good
Light Return (stereo)…..: 1.00 Very Good
(Non) Leakage (mono)..: 1.09 Very Good to Excellent
(Non) Leakage (stereo).: 1.07 Very Good to Excellent
Contrast............................: 0.87 Good to Very Good
(Non) FishEye Effect…...: 1.00 Very Good

Those are high scores on the light return and (non) leakage, which confirm your HCA reading.

The cut scores an AGA Cut Class 2B ranking, which is considered a fine make, with good to very good proportions. A 2A would be considered very good, with a 1B being a premium make and a 1A being an ideal make. It's the crown angle which drops the stone from a 2A to a 2B ranking. Not the best, but certainly not the worst. A good looking, well performing stone.

I've also attached the simulated IdealScope image which comes up using the specs you listed.

In general, the darker pink areas indicate areas of greater light return, with the lighter pink areas indicating areas of lesser light return. The black areas indicate areas of greater contrast, with the gray areas indicating areas of lesser contrast. The white areas indicate areas of light leakage. A good explanation of the IdealScope image along with examples can be found at https://www.pricescope.com/idealscope_indx.asp

Disclaimer- The facet arrangement and symmetry of the image will probably vary from your actual diamond, which may affect the light performance indicated. The computer simulation is reproduced best when the actual diamond is being viewed and the image "tweaked" to the appearance of the diamond. However, this "blind" reproduction should be fairly close on the major points.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
That's a pretty sharp looking stone with light return for a 2B cut!
1.gif
looks great!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results