shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions on this 1.92 OMC

thatsk

Rough_Rock
Hello!

I finally found a OMC that is eye clean and in my budget but I wanted to get more expert opinions to see if my search is finally over or I need to be more patient.

GIA report here (updated link). On paper I think it looks fine and I trust Adam's opinion on the inclusions since he knows I'm looking for a stone for an engagement ring.

He sent me 2 videos but I still can't figure out how to load videos on here so I tried to take some screenshots that may help determine if it's a good one or not. He quoted me $10,850. The table size looks large - From what I understand, that's a good thing? And I did notice that the girdle isn't faceted - I'm still unsure what the hallmark characteristics of an ideal OMC are.

view1.jpg view2.jpg view3.jpg

view4.jpg

Thank you!

Last edited:

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Adam has a reputation for having a good eye, and you've seen the videos, and of course there's a decent return policy ... that said, I see what appears to be some mushiness in the last photo ... maybe it's an artifact of that particular photo or maybe it's a little mushy in rare positions/lighting environments ... just my 2 cents

1627061015556.png

eta: FYI, the GIA link took me to an error code rather than the GIA report

thatsk

Rough_Rock
Adam has a reputation for having a good eye, and you've seen the videos, and of course there's a decent return policy ... that said, I see what appears to be some mushiness in the last photo ... maybe it's an artifact of that particular photo or maybe it's a little mushy in rare positions/lighting environments ... just my 2 cents

1627061015556.png

oops - I updated the link and made sure it worked!

What is "mushy"?

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A faceted girdle ( or polished) would mean it’s newly made or has been touched up/recut.
I don’t believe OWD carries newly made - so not being faceted is perfectly normal in antique period stone.

is this the only stone you’ve been shown from Adam that meets your parameters?
the ’mushy’ area that’s been pointed out - means the facet pattern in that section isn’t as clearly defined /crisp to the eye as the rest of the stone.
only reason I’m asking this instead of directly commenting on this one stone is I’m going to take a wild stab and point out if this exact stone didn’t have the mushy area - it would most likely not be in your budget anymore.

The pool of nicely cut sizeable eye clean antique period OMC stones isn’t huge to pull from.
if you want a tiny table and right off the bat see this one is large - this alone tells me this is not the stone for you.

happy hunting!

Last edited:

thatsk

Rough_Rock
Thank you for the explanation! I'll have to review the videos more clearly to see if that 'mushy' area is there. And yes, I agree that I would have to sacrifice some/a few areas for my budget.

Adam has shown me quite a few but this is the most eye clean one he's shown me in a long while. He had shown me one with just one clarity grade lower and right off the bat, I could tell it was not eye clean. I'm so surprised how different they look with the naked eye with one grade difference.

I thought I had read somewhere on this forum that the table on a OMC should be XX or less but I can't find the thread to refer back to it. Is there such a thing, or is it just all my personal taste on whether or not I like that look?

Sprinkles&Stones

Brilliant_Rock
I actually really like the diamond! It's a wonky old cut, and those by nature aren't meant to be perfect or have perfect numbers. does it make you happy? Would staring at it every day make your heart flutter? If so, go with your gut and get it!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did you check out Ivy and Rose? They have this... I would ask for a video if you're interested. (post link if you get one)

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

1627061015556.png

This. I would neither choose this stone nor would I recommend it to a friend.

One warning: You will see the term “crushed ice” used fairly often here on PS. Some people misuse it to mean “mush”, but “crushed ice” is intended to mean effective but tiny virtual facets. Looking at a nice “crushed ice” style stone is like looking into a tub of glitter; looking at a “mushy” stone is like making the road ahead of you out through a fog.
Neither mush nor crushed ice are industry standard terms of course ::)

thatsk

Rough_Rock
This. I would neither choose this stone nor would I recommend it to a friend.

One warning: You will see the term “crushed ice” used fairly often here on PS. Some people misuse it to mean “mush”, but “crushed ice” is intended to mean effective but tiny virtual facets. Looking at a nice “crushed ice” style stone is like looking into a tub of glitter; looking at a “mushy” stone is like making the road ahead of you out through a fog.
Neither mush nor crushed ice are industry standard terms of course ::)

Ohh. Do you mean looking down into the stone, it almost may look like a kaleidoscope? I never noticed that. That’s a great explanation!
Video 1
Video 2

here’s a video of the ivy and rose one

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock
Ohh. Do you mean looking down into the stone, it almost may look like a kaleidoscope? I never noticed that. That’s a great explanation!
Video 1
Video 2

What do you think of the videos from Adam's one? I'm seeing something happening with the table that's not very pleasing to the eye. It's kinda like a hole?

I think the Ivy and Rose one looks better, but probably needs a closer up video ;-)

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
Agree that the diamond is not perfect but how likely is it that OP will find a better one at that size and clarity within budget? I genuinely do not know.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not a fan of the OWD stone...would need some more up-close pictures of the Ivy and Rose diamond to form a better opinion.
(it looks promising but without more up-close pictures I just cant say...off hand I like it better than the OWD stone but not enough
to buy without the additional videos/pictures).

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Video 1
Video 2

Would you be comfortable in stating what parameters are most important to you vs what you will compromise on?

that will help ( I believe) in you receiving help/guidance that benefits your goal.
my personal preferences and tastes, if different than yours, make my opinions on specific stones you are picking out ultimately not helpful to you in making your choices.

(comparing videos between stones with drastically different environments between them is pretty difficult)

thatsk

Rough_Rock
Thanks guys! In the first video Adam sent me, the stone looked beautiful. Then in the second one he sent me later, it showed the table better and then I got confused. But I think I’m getting a better feel on how to look at OMCs from all your input and advice.

that’s exactly my concern, I’m not sure what is realistic within my budget so I’m just going to ask this: how much on average would someone have to pay to get a decent diamond clarity with a decent color (I’ve been looking at M and better to increase my range). If it’s way above my budget then I’ll look at OECs. Adam showed me one that looked nice that’s under the budget. But the OMCs are just ❤️.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In order to know what's realistic in your budget we need to know how big you want the stone to be.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also -
are you set on a true antique stone or are open to newly cut?

don’t know if this is still available, and lower color - but newly cut stones opens up your options, just to illustrate the idea
2961FAAF-42A0-4FDD-B69C-18A11943DD82.jpeg

Who is it that also has newly cut old mine style buried in their inventory. JA or BN? Or am I crazy?

Last edited:

thatsk

Rough_Rock
I was pretty set on an antique stone. But if it’s not feasible then I’ll compromise. I did take a look at some other vendors that did newly cut antique versions and I think it’s just the whole online shopping deal makes it so much harder to like other stones when it’s all in my mind.

I was hoping for something 7.5mm (or larger ) but not sure if that’s greedy of me within the budget. I have a 4.5-5 ring size so I was hoping the smaller fingers would work in my favor to finding a stone with that size and budget.

I will check out that new vendor! That’s a beautiful shape.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results