shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions on these two lab grown diamonds

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I prefer the proportions and cut quality of the second stone.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Both would be beautiful, but I will just say "go with Kim".
Lucky girl!

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
I also think both are beautiful, but when it comes to comparing the minute details, I would go with Kim as well.

Peoplekind

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the opinions everyone.

This is what my jeweler said after I showed him:

"I can have our supplier compare them and recommend the best one. We don't have ASET tests on these diamonds. They are not necessary and are just marketing gimmicks.

I would advise not to get a diamond graded by GCAL. Stick with IGI or GIA as they test for post-growth treatment. I would also advise getting a diamond without post-growth treatment as that means the diamond is not altered in any way to improve colour or clarity. You are basically getting a natural diamond. "

I'm confused because I thought the x8 GCAL certificate is considered super ideal and thus better than an excellent cut GIA.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium

"I can have our supplier compare them and recommend the best one. We don't have ASET tests on these diamonds. They are not necessary and are just marketing gimmicks.

I would advise not to get a diamond graded by GCAL. Stick with IGI or GIA as they test for post-growth treatment. I would also advise getting a diamond without post-growth treatment as that means the diamond is not altered in any way to improve colour or clarity. You are basically getting a natural diamond. "

I'm confused because I thought the x8 GCAL certificate is considered super ideal and thus better than an excellent cut GIA.

There are so many things wrong with the jeweler's statements. An ASET image is not a gimmick--it's a tried and true method of verifying light performance. GCAL 8x diamonds already have GCAL-proprietary scope images, though, so if an ASET scope isn't on hand we can still get a good idea of the performance.

GCAL is a very respected lab, and certainly many people on the forum, including super ideal cut vendors JannPaul and Continental Diamond, consider them to be reputable. GIA Excellent is overly broad and encompasses many mediocre diamonds. With GCAL 8x, you're all but guaranteed a near super ideal or super ideal cut stone.

Some GCAL reports mention post-growth treatment, though it's true that most don't. But some GIA reports don't even mention the growth method, so GIA is not always better. Given that the stones you're considering are HPHT rather than CVD, I wouldn't expect them to have post-growth treatment. It is also wrong to generalize that a lab diamond without post-growth treatment is like "basically getting a natural diamond"--there are other factors that affect the appearance of lab diamond.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock

Is your jeweler's name Dan and is he in LA?

ASET scope is a tool that was invented for and used by AGS (whom uses all three dimensions of a diamond to assess optical performance, unlike GIA and IGI), plus their Triple Zero cut criteria is far more strict than that of the best cut grades of GIA and IGI. If a diamond passes the ASET with a top result, then it's amongst the top 1-2% performing diamonds that exist on the planet.
Diamond optics and light physics is a science: and that science is proven and peer reviewed by numerous entities in many countries all over the world.

Here are some great videos by JannPaul showing various ASET scope results and how those results translate to the appearance of the diamonds in various lighting conditions (instead of just intense jewelry store dazzle lighting).

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
I've learned from PS there are certain things you want to have on hand in order to decide between diamonds: Videos/photos in different lights, ASET scope, Ideal scope, HCA score (for rounds) certifications and opinions from qualified people who have no skin in the game. I don’t buy a lot of diamonds. But as I am currently looking to make a major diamond purchase I actually bought myself an ASET scope. It really works and I don’t know if I would trust a jeweler who told me I didn’t need one. It tells you a lot about the light reflected in, out and through the stone. It is not the only tool you should use but it’s an important one.

You have to remember, he is trying to sell you something. The people on this forum love jewelry, are experienced and often in the trade, and just enjoy helping people get the diamond or gemstone they will love.

It might be scary to buy online but as long as you know the return policy and they are a PS recommended supplier, you really can’t go wrong. I bought a $42,000 earth mined diamond from an online vendor that did not have an asset scope. But I had one! It ended up being a beautiful diamond but I decided to send it back and look for a larger lab grown stone. I had no problem returning it for a full refund.

Sorry. I don’t mean to sound preachy. But if you lurk around here long enough you will realize the caliber of the people who are on the site. They’re awesome. Good luck with your hunt!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Soooo much nonsense in what the jeweler said. And not surprising since he benefits from you listening to him and buying what he is selling (which is likely a worse stone).

Peoplekind

Rough_Rock
I don't know what price you were offered for the stones you posted, but have you seen this one, currently on sale for Valentine's Day?

The stones I posted were in the $4000 range. Should I be concerned that this diamond has been sitting on the market for long? Manufactured date of 2021 as opposed to 2022. Otherwise, it looks good.

Soooo much nonsense in what the jeweler said. And not surprising since he benefits from you listening to him and buying what he is selling (which is likely a worse stone).
I don't think he claims to be a diamond expert. I found those stones on his website.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The stones I posted were in the $4000 range. Should I be concerned that this diamond has been sitting on the market for long? Manufactured date of 2021 as opposed to 2022. Otherwise, it looks good.

I don't think he claims to be a diamond expert. I found those stones on his website.

I think the report date is within an acceptable time period.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results