shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions on these diamonds for engagement ring

WhisperThang

Rough_Rock
Hi,

I'm new to this site and diamonds overall. I am looking at possible diamonds for an engagement ring. Ive had a crash course on diamonds from the internet over the last week. Ive narrowed it down to ones I think are good, im interested in what everyone's opinion on here is of the diamonds I've been looking at.

1. https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-de...MONDS&track=viewDiamondDetails&action=sameTab
1 Carat VVS2 F Color HCA .9

2. https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-de...MONDS&track=viewDiamondDetails&action=sameTab
1.01 Carat VS1 E Color HCA .7

3. https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-de...MONDS&track=viewDiamondDetails&action=sameTab
1 Carat VVS2 F Color HCA 1.4

4. https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-de...MONDS&track=viewDiamondDetails&action=sameTab
1.01 Carat VVS2 E Color HCA 1.8

Any and all opinions are welcome as this is a big purchase and I want to make sure I've looked at all my options. Thanks!

Reactions: AV_

WhisperThang

Rough_Rock
My original budget was $5k for the diamond, quickly moved to $6k. One of the diamonds I linked is $7.5k lol. So now I guess my budget is in the $7k range, preferably under though. F+ color, excellent cut and polish. Very good symmetry and up.

Again I've never bought diamonds before and these seemed to be good specs in terms of what Ive been able to research.

Im somewhat flexible on the specs and am open to other diamonds.

After reading some more posts, I thought I should add the range of diamonds i'm looking at.

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is there a cultural or personal reason you are looking at such a high clarity? Color, too? Lowering the “floor” of one or both could open up more budget friendly (or larger) options.

WhisperThang

Rough_Rock
I want her to feel like her ring is one of the best, she deserves it. I've seen many say some SI diamonds can look just as good but I know if I was buying for myself I would want to splurge and get at least VS because whether people could tell or not, I would know what I had. I tend to be like that with most things I buy. If I would want VS for myself then I feel like that should at least be the starting point for her. Plus this is a one time purchase so might as well get the best I can.

As far as color I want it to be white and "icey" (lol as lame as that sounds.) Can that look still be achieved with lower colors?

Last edited:

headlight

Ideal_Rock
I want her to feel like her ring is one of the best, she deserves it. I've seen many say some SI diamonds can look just as good but I know if I was buying for myself I would want to splurge and get at least VS because whether people could tell or not, I would know what I had. I tend to be like that with most things I buy. If I would want VS for myself then I feel like that should at least be the starting point for her. Plus this is a one time purchase so might as well get the best I can.

As far as color I want it to be white and "icey" (lol as lame as that sounds.) Can that look still be achieved with lower colors?
I like the way you think!
As for color, if you want white and icey you will need to stay with what you are looking at... Es & Fs. You will have to see if the F does it for you or if you need to stick with E. You will not get white and icey with the lower color grades.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMHO in a 1ct stone there is no reason to pay for clarity above VS1 (or maybe VS1). There just is no benefit of paying more for VVS compared to VS clarity. I think it's important to keep in mind that your own preferences might not be hers. Have you asked her whether she wants a high color/clarity stone? I think many guys want "the best" for their soon-to-be fiance, which is great, but your and her definition of "best" might differ. For example, if she wants something larger but only cares that the stone is eye clean, then going with an SI1 or VS2 is your best bet.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
I totally agree with @lovedogs on the clarity, that VS1 is not only a great clarity in and of itself, but also it is definitely a clarity where no one made "compromises on"... but you CAN see a color difference, which is why I said what I said in my previous post. But, as @lovedogs said, if the woman's main goal is to get the largest stone she can (if that's the case) within your budget, then she may be fine going to SI2, J color, as example. Because, for the same budget, the size difference between those specs and a VVS with F color is going to be discernible. Or, maybe there's a sweet spot in between those 2 sets of parameters that works for you/her. But keep in mind that she may be happy with 1 ct... many, many, many people are. And many people WOULD rather have the 1 ct, VVS, colorless stone over something larger in other grades. Not everyone is seeking a large(r) diamond. Often on PS a guy comes on that wants to buy his girl the best stone he can for his budget and he is often given reasons why he shouldn't and I just don't agree with that. I don't think it is our place to tell someone not to get their beloved the best they can buy for them. If that was my guy and he took the advice/input/opinions of people he doesn't know off the internet and went from buying me the "best he could" to something otherwise and I found out about it I would be beyond pissed. I'm sorry to anyone that I may be offending by expressing this as it is not my intention, and I'm not trying to be difficult nor combative, but I just have very strong convictions that people should not be advised to go with something different from their post that says they want the very best they can get for their budget.

WhisperThang

Rough_Rock
@headlight thank you for your opinion and the info about color. I definitely will be taking all of what everyone said into account.

so whether I go down some in clarity and go up some in size or however I decide to do it. am I looking at good diamonds at least? in terms of good cuts, proportions, light performance? like am I going down the right path?

Last edited:

WhisperThang

Rough_Rock
also is faint fluorescence noticeable?

Siamese Kitty

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks @headlight

1.06 Carat E Color VS2 HCA 1.1 $6,358

1.05 Carat D Color VS2 HCA 1.9 $6,587

1.01 Carat E Color VS1 HCA .7 $6,717

any opinions on these diamonds?

Have you asked HER about her preference of specs? I love colorless stones and choose a perfectly cut I VS2 to get size. But that's just me. If she is a stickler for perfect color at the expense of size, she may have actually wanted higher clarity like your initial post. Or maybe only clarity is her thing and she would prefer a J VVS1. Or maybe only size is her thing and she'd like an L S12. Bottom line, if you haven't asked, you don't know. I don't agree that there are "safe" specs because of general market perception of what is "best." If you don't have some reasonable assertion the Cs are aligned how she would have chosen, you could conceivably end up with a gorgeous colorless stone that she loves but wishes it were a larger H SI-1. Please ask her.

@lovedogs said this well above-just adding on here;-)

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Like if your spouse gets you a red convertible when you really prefer a blue suv.

Which is “better”? Only the recipient knows that answer.

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you asked HER about her preference of specs? I love colorless stones and choose a perfectly cut I VS2 to get size. But that's just me. If she is a stickler for perfect color at the expense of size, she may have actually wanted higher clarity like your initial post. Or maybe only clarity is her thing and she would prefer a J VVS1. Or maybe only size is her thing and she'd like an L S12. Bottom line, if you haven't asked, you don't know. I don't agree that there are "safe" specs because of general market perception of what is "best." If you don't have some reasonable assertion the Cs are aligned how she would have chosen, you could conceivably end up with a gorgeous colorless stone that she loves but wishes it were a larger H SI-1. Please ask her.

@lovedogs said this well above-just adding on here;-)

Ditto. You really need to find out her preferences. She may want size over color and clarity. I would bet that the majority of American women would prefer a larger, eye clean, near colorless stone over a smaller colorless stone with high clarity.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results