• Small sapphire cluster ring

Votes: 4 9.8%
  • Ruby Lane vintage ring

Votes: 3 7.3%

• Total voters

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm interested in getting a colored stone cluster ring - I"ve been looking around and have come up with some possibilities - I'd really appreciate it if you'd vote for the one that appeals most to you.

I'm not really looking for the highest quality or the most ideal colored stone - although I would like the stone to have a nice appearance. I've already ruled out some rings because the sapphires were just too dark. I realize some of these will have windows, but with these older rings sometimes you have to take what you get lol.

These first 2 I've already kind of ruled out, only because I think they might just be too large for my finger - but I love them both and wanted to get opinions on them! I've also decided not to worry too much about sizes - I'll figure it out!

This is an aquamarine and old mine cut cluster ring on 1st dibs $3995
https://www.1stdibs.com/jewelry/rings/cluster-rings/id-j_197804/

Sapphire ring on Etsy. The size of the diamonds on both these rings is awesome! $4875
https://www.etsy.com/listing/171379069/vintage-18k-and-platinum-sapphire-and?ref=favs_view_6

Here's another one from 1st dibs - I almost ordered this one on the spot - I love the Tiffany soleste and have been wanting a Tiffany ring for a while - but not sure of the authenticity, I thought the stamp looked a little wonky? Also wanted to try a different shape since my ering is round, and from what I understand tanzanite isn't very durable. But I love this ring, and if I could be assured it's genuine I would seriously consider this one. $3495 https://www.1stdibs.com/jewelry/rings/cocktail-rings/id-j_192724/

This is a new ring - from Diamonds by Lauren. The fact it's brand spanking new has some appeal to me, and it would sized for me. I think the cutter of the sapphire has a good reputation (from my lurking in CS!)
http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/index.php/jewelry/loose-sapphire-precision-cut-164ct-blue-sapphire-oval-shape-beautiful-bright-blue-r4190 $3495

To be continued!

org_aquaminecutdiamondring_l.jpg

etsysapphirepricey.jpg

solestetanzinite.jpg

diamondsbylaurensapphire.jpg

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is another one from Etsy - I like the look of this one, I keep going back to it! https://www.etsy.com/listing/126428486/fine-ceylon-blue-sapphire-in-14k-white?ref=favs_view_10 $3115

Here's one from Ruby Lane - Less expensive than the rest, not sure of quality but I think it's really pretty so I wanted to include it.http://www.rubylane.com/item/1037259-NC35X0622/Vintage-Diamond-Blue-Sapphire-Cocktail-Ring $985

I found others that I didn't post and I might add those later to get some thoughts. Please help me out and TIA!

etsysmallerdiamonds.jpg

nc35x0622.png

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
I actually like the aquamarine one, but I'm nervous judging the colour saturation of the aquamarine via a photograph
sorry I'm not more helpful!! :saint:

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Hi Junebug,
Let me preface this opinion as one without any technical colored stone experience.
I clearly preferred the DbL stone. I think the color isa little lighter and I liked the lively appearance of the center stone. Some of the halos were a little unbalanced in relation to the center stone and it caused visual competition.

DbL's ring pulled my eye to the center and then back around to view the pretty diamonds. I like the Ruby Lane ring as a 2nd pick.
The Etsy ring is nice but does not excite me...maybe I think the sapphire looks a bit dark? not sure.

I could love the DbL ring.

Your mileage may vary of course, but that is my 2 cents.

RandG

Brilliant_Rock
I saw this one on Portero and thought of you this weekend. It reminds me of the Lang ring, only the basket is a bit more intricate.

http://www.portero.com/vintage-14k-yellow-white-gold-sapphire-diamond-ring

Portero and Circa are one in the same now. Circa buys only the best estate jewelry. Some of the pieces on Portero are flowing through that synergy.

Just a note on the Tiffany Tanzanite ring and the seller-- they are golden. They had the matching earrings too. Both pieces came from one Tiffany collector.

Its hard to choose one, but of those posted I would go with the Tiffany ring. It's very special to own Tiffany Tanzanite, over all other tanzanite out there. It will have good resale value, should you look to part with it. And the price point is very good considering the retail. I would see if you can get them to come down 10-15% by going through them directly and not via 1st dibs, if you go that route. Never hurts to ask.

Good luck with your selection. Very exciting!

RandG

Brilliant_Rock
RandG|1404144755|3703781 said:
I saw this one on Portero and thought of you this weekend. It reminds me of the Lang ring, only the basket is a bit more intricate.

http://www.portero.com/vintage-14k-yellow-white-gold-sapphire-diamond-ring

Portero and Circa are one in the same now. Circa buys only the best estate jewelry. Some of the pieces on Portero are flowing through that synergy.

Just a note on the Tiffany Tanzanite ring and the seller-- they are golden. They had the matching earrings too. Both pieces came from one Tiffany collector.

Its hard to choose one, but of those posted I would go with the Tiffany ring. It's very special to own Tiffany Tanzanite, over all other tanzanite out there. It will have good resale value, should you look to part with it. And the price point is very good considering the retail. I would see if you can get them to come down 10-15% by going through them directly and not via 1st dibs, if you go that route. Never hurts to ask.

Good luck with your selection. Very exciting!

Sorry- saw one more that you might like- another signed piece that will more than hold its value:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Estate-Oscar-Heyman-Bros-Sapphire-Oval-Diamond-Halo-Ring-18k-Plat-/321447887952?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ad7c98450

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yay, some comments and votes! Thank you, thank you! :wavey:

Lara, I absolutely love that ring, I keep going back and staring at it - I agree with you on the quality of the stone, so hard to tell from pics, probably not the best aqua - but those old mine cuts, and the design, yum - I think it looks pretty in the hand shot. Why oh why can't I win the lottery? Then I'd buy them all lol! thank you for taking the time to comment!

Moneymiester, I think the DBL ring is gorgeous - and just from my purusing these past few days, it seems like a good value - I like that the setting is 18k. I love the claw prongs, but they seem a bit long or prominent or something - but the image is magnified, I'm sure they look less prominent IRL. And I agree with you on the darkness of the sapphire on the etsy ring - it's very interesting but most of the sapphires in these older rings are fairly dark. I found a few beautiful rings where the sapphire looked almost black. It was mentioned in the CS section that darker sapphires were trendy in the past. Thanks for your input!

RandG, I was so hoping you would stop by!!! You really know your way around these vintage pieces! Thank you SO much for the feedback on the vendor of the Tiffany ring - Extremely helpful, I am just so unfamiliar with vendors and it makes me wary. I am so in love with the Tiffany soleste and here's my chance to own one. I love the ring you linked! Thank you, I'm touched that you kept me in mind! Hmm, the wheels are turning…enough money in the bling budget for the Tiffany and the ring you linked :devil:

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
As a colored stone junkie I'd either pick the DBL or the aqua. Be sure you read up on ownership of colored stones before you wear/clean your new gem so that you can extend the life of your new beauty.

RandG

Brilliant_Rock
junebug17|1404147127|3703798 said:
Yay, some comments and votes! Thank you, thank you! :wavey:

Lara, I absolutely love that ring, I keep going back and staring at it - I agree with you on the quality of the stone, so hard to tell from pics, probably not the best aqua - but those old mine cuts, and the design, yum - I think it looks pretty in the hand shot. Why oh why can't I win the lottery? Then I'd buy them all lol! thank you for taking the time to comment!

Moneymiester, I think the DBL ring is gorgeous - and just from my purusing these past few days, it seems like a good value - I like that the setting is 18k. I love the claw prongs, but they seem a bit long or prominent or something - but the image is magnified, I'm sure they look less prominent IRL. And I agree with you on the darkness of the sapphire on the etsy ring - it's very interesting but most of the sapphires in these older rings are fairly dark. I found a few beautiful rings where the sapphire looked almost black. It was mentioned in the CS section that darker sapphires were trendy in the past. Thanks for your input!

RandG, I was so hoping you would stop by!!! You really know your way around these vintage pieces! Thank you SO much for the feedback on the vendor of the Tiffany ring - Extremely helpful, I am just so unfamiliar with vendors and it makes me wary. I am so in love with the Tiffany soleste and here's my chance to own one. I love the ring you linked! Thank you, I'm touched that you kept me in mind! Hmm, the wheels are turning…enough money in the bling budget for the Tiffany and the ring you linked :devil:

I am so flattered! This is my sweet spot, for sure. If It were me, I would contact the seller about the Heyman ring and see what their bottom line is, particularly if you can do the transaction without Paypal which is close to 3% of the selling price. Oscar Heyman pieces are a fantastic investment and that ring is really, really well made. I like that particular sapphire best. The Tiffany ring is a steal. I would contact the dealer, by phone, and get them to hold it because it would be terrible if you lost it :(.

Keep posting- love to see your progress and hoping you find something incredible!

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the color and proportions of the DBL one. But the aqua is pretty too.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like the DBL ring best.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Junebug, They are all very pretty. I had a ring made with the center stone and diamonds close in size to the aquamarine ring. When I received the ring I felt it looked much larger than I thought it would. Have you tried rings of similar sized stones on to make sure you are happy with the size on your hand. I only ask because I now have a ring I paid $4,000 sitting in a box that i don't ever wear. I like the DBL ring. It looks like it would be delicate in person and the size of stone looks good to me. I hope this helps you.

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
DBL for me too.... :love:

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
DBL is great -- and you can't do better than a stone cut by Roger. No worries there.

If you love the Tiffany one (I think the color is a little too good to be true in the photos), you can trust N. Green & sons. That is an old-time top-notch jeweler -- unless they've been bought & I didn't know. The Tiff stamp looks ok to me. Be warned that Tiffany finds a lot of treatments to a stone acceptable that some of us might not.

I'd go for the DBL one, myself. Why don't you buy me one too, while you're at it? :rodent:

--- Laurie

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the DBL ring the most.

Not keen on the Esty ring's chubby prongs on the sapphire.

DK :))

Saoirse2

Shiny_Rock
DBL is beautiful! :wavey:

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, thank you all for commenting and voting, I really appreciate it!

Athena, I'm so glad you commented - I know you are knowledgable about CS and I value your input. I'm going to guess that the DBL sapphire is probably the best in terms of quality.

Rand, the Heyman ring is so gorgeous - I love those oval diamonds, what a fabulous look :love: But that Tiffany…this is a tough one!

Thanks redwood66, packrat, and mayk, dk168, and Saoirse2 - the DBL is really gorgeous and very true to the original style of ring I had in mind when I started this search - I'm serious when I say I wish I could buy several of these rings lol.

Laurie, so glad you commented - I really respect how knowledgable you are with regard to CS and am grateful for your opinion. I'm so proud of myself for knowing who Roger is lol! Thank you for the assurances on N Green and for the input on the Tiff ring - I do remember reading about the issue of treatments regarding Tiffany colored stones on PS, so that's definitely food for thought.

Calliecake, your post definitely helps me, I've been holding a ruler to my finger all day ha! As much as I love the look of really big honkers, I agree with you, I think this ring is just going to be too large for my finger - my halo ering measures about 12 mm, and I think this ring would be about 16 -17 mm and I just don't think I have enough room for that. But now you've got me curious about your ring haha!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
canuk-gal|1404177894|3704149 said:

Ah, gorgeous eye candy Sharon! :love: Love the first and fourth ones, so pretty - and that tiffany isn't too far from my budget ha!

Thanks for your opinion - the DBL is getting a lot of love!

Speaking of 66mint, I found this pink sapphire ring that I think is just beautiful - I told you I was all over the place lol! Once you start browsing around, lots of possibilities pop up.

http://www.66mint.com/product/1-25ct-pink-sapphire-diamond-platinum-ring/

66_mint_pink.jpg

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Junebug, The size isn't that big of an issue if it can be returned. I was so looking forward to the ring i had made and boy was I disappointed with the finished project. I love large diamonds but the ring I purchased did nothing for me. I had also found one that I'm pretty sure the sapphire and diamond sizes were that of the DBL ring. How I wish that was the ring I had purchased. I believe your fingers are smaller than mine. I wear a size 4 3/4. I just want you to be happy with your purchase.

I so love your halo'd Simon G engagement ring.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Calliecake|1404185419|3704209 said:
Junebug, The size isn't that big of an issue if it can be returned. I was so looking forward to the ring i had made and boy was I disappointed with the finished project. I love large diamonds but the ring I purchased did nothing for me. I had also found one that I'm pretty sure the sapphire and diamond sizes were that of the DBL ring. How I wish that was the ring I had purchased. I believe your fingers are smaller than mine. I wear a size 4 3/4. I just want you to be happy with your purchase.

We're about the same size, I wear a 4.25. I think the aqua ring is 5/8ths of an inch in length, and that just seems really big when I measure it out on my hand! It just wouldn't be a practical ring for my lifestyle, I don't think. As much as I loved it when I first saw it, the measurements gave me pause right away. I'm starting to lean away from the Tiffany for the opposite reason - I'm not sure it's going to be enough finger coverage for me.

Callie, that is such a shame about your ring! I'm so sorry you ended up unhappy with it, how disappointing! Could you possibly wear it for special occasions, like going out to dinner or something like that? Or is it just too large and you don't feel comfortable?

Thanks for the nice words about my ring, and for all your help!

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
junebug17|1404191209|3704250 said:
Calliecake|1404185419|3704209 said:

We're about the same size, I wear a 4.25. I think the aqua ring is 5/8ths of an inch in length, and that just seems really big when I measure it out on my hand! It just wouldn't be a practical ring for my lifestyle, I don't think. As much as I loved it when I first saw it, the measurements gave me pause right away. I'm starting to lean away from the Tiffany for the opposite reason - I'm not sure it's going to be enough finger coverage for me.

Callie, that is such a shame about your ring! I'm so sorry you ended up unhappy with it, how disappointing! Could you possibly wear it for special occasions, like going out to dinner or something like that? Or is it just too large and you don't feel comfortable?

Thanks for the nice words about my ring, and for all your help!

It was so funny that you posted your question yesterday because I had the ring out yesterday morning. My ring takes up my whole width and almost all length of my finger. It looked fine when I was working and wearing sheath dresses and heels everyday but I just wasn't comfortable wearing it. Even though I have many outfits I could wear it with its not one of my favorites so I don't even think of putting it on. If that makes sense. I wish we could private message people here. I'd send you the ring to wear for a few weeks to see if you'd be happy with the size. I'm not normal. I need to wear something for a week before I know if I'll really be happy. Often I think oh I love this then wear and decide differently.

It sounds like you are really thinking this thru. Another option would to be to have a jeweler make something for you once you decide exactly what you want". This way you could pick the sapphire and diamonds you want. Just am option to think about.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
junebug17|1404184868|3704205 said:
canuk-gal|1404177894|3704149 said:

Ah, gorgeous eye candy Sharon! :love: Love the first and fourth ones, so pretty - and that tiffany isn't too far from my budget ha!

Thanks for your opinion - the DBL is getting a lot of love!

Speaking of 66mint, I found this pink sapphire ring that I think is just beautiful - I told you I was all over the place lol! Once you start browsing around, lots of possibilities pop up.

http://www.66mint.com/product/1-25ct-pink-sapphire-diamond-platinum-ring/

66 Mint has a decent selection, no? I have purchased from them and are on my radar (on a regular basis!). I oogled the huge Bulgari blue sapphire they just sold.... (some lucky gal!!!) I love them and would buy from them again in a heartbeat.

Incidentally, I just went through Dupuis June Auction results and two gorgeous sapphire rings (one branded) sold for a unbelievably low prices, so when I look at some of the prices posted on First Dibs, I kinda shake my head. Prices for Estate are near retail!

I'll keep my eyes peeled for you!

cheers--Sharon

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Calliecake|1404227671|3704485 said:
It was so funny that you posted your question yesterday because I had the ring out yesterday morning. My ring takes up my whole width and almost all length of my finger. It looked fine when I was working and wearing sheath dresses and heels everyday but I just wasn't comfortable wearing it. Even though I have many outfits I could wear it with its not one of my favorites so I don't even think of putting it on. If that makes sense. I wish we could private message people here. I'd send you the ring to wear for a few weeks to see if you'd be happy with the size. I'm not normal. I need to wear something for a week before I know if I'll really be happy. Often I think oh I love this then wear and decide differently.

It sounds like you are really thinking this thru. Another option would to be to have a jeweler make something for you once you decide exactly what you want". This way you could pick the sapphire and diamonds you want. Just am option to think about.

Callie, to the bolded, you don't know the half of it :D ! I'm measuring and cutting out pieces of paper, resizing pics on my computer to make the ring to scale and measuring some more…I really want to get some idea of the sizes of these rings and how they'll look on my finger.

Callie, you are so nice to want to help me out on this! I really appreciate you helping me think this through. I totally get what you're saying about your ring. Feeling comfortable and at ease wearing a piece is so important - it's not fun to wear something that makes us feel self-conscious - it has to feel "right" for us to enjoy wearing it.

You know, I've been thinking of exploring the idea of putting together my own ring. I'm leaning strongly towards the DBL ring, but something is making me hesitate. I think I would prefer a slightly darker sapphire - look at me, I'm getting picky haha! I think I'm getting nervous about spending what I have in the bling budget - I just want to make sure I spend my money wisely and get something I'll really love. With my luck, these rings will sell before I decide and then I'll be kicking myself! :cheeky:

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
canuk-gal|1404228201|3704490 said:
66 Mint has a decent selection, no? I have purchased from them and are on my radar (on a regular basis!). I oogled the huge Bulgari blue sapphire they just sold.... (some lucky gal!!!) I love them and would buy from them again in a heartbeat.

Incidentally, I just went through Dupuis June Auction results and two gorgeous sapphire rings (one branded) sold for a unbelievably low prices, so when I look at some of the prices posted on First Dibs, I kinda shake my head. Prices for Estate are near retail!

I'll keep my eyes peeled for you!

cheers--Sharon

I love 66 mint, really gorgeous pieces! I agree about the prices on first dibs, the prices are high and it's discouraging :(sad . I would so appreciate if you would keep on eye out for me as you browse around, thank you!!!

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Junebug, I see what you me about the DBL sapphire being light. Have you contacted DBL? I'm sure they can switch out the sapphire to one more to your liking. Don't feel bad about cutting paper replica of the ring to determine the size you want. I'm the same way. I need to visualize. My poor DH came home one night to the find the whole greatroom mapped out in paper towel so I couple see how the furniture I wanted to order would fit in the room. He thought I had lost my mind. At least rings are smaller. Give yourself some time. If the DBL ring should sell I'm sure he can make you another one. I agonize over making decisions like this.

Your post made me smile. We are very much alike. I totally understand how you are feeling. I have been this way my whole life.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aqua
Looks very nice. It probably needs some prong work since a few are barely touching or not even touching the stone. I would also have it checked out to make sure the aquamarine isn't synthetic, if you are fussed about such things.

Etsy sapphire ring
Horrible cut with terrible zoning. If it isn't zoned, then the cut is so bad that it looks like the sapphire is colour zoned.

Tiffany Tanzanite
Very pretty light blue colour; not top tanzanite colour but still pretty and well cut.

DBL ring
Deep with an okay cut (quite the tilt window) but looks better after it is set. The nicest of all the options presented. DBL's photography method shines a LOT of light through the stone; I suspect that it is darker in person, which might be right up your alley after all. See the one picture where he has the sapphire between the fingers - it looks much darker there because he cannot shine light through his fingers. :lol:

Etsy sapphire
A lot of extinction; my concern is that the sapphire will black out unless you view it under strong lighting all the time. The link shows that it is no longer available.

Ruby Lane
Also plagued by the same extinction but the cut is all right. Earth mined means that it is probably natural, as in mined from the earth, but definitely heated. It's up to you to decide whether you accept the risk of diffusion. Based on the price, I'm guessing the bulk of the cost is the setting and diamonds itself, not the sapphire.

Oscar Ring
Looks like a black stone in the hand shot.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono, thank you so much for such a detailed analysis, you've brought things to my attention that I didn't notice :oops: . I glad you stopped by, you know your way around a colored stone lol!

Chrono|1404312145|3705203 said:
Aqua
Looks very nice. It probably needs some prong work since a few are barely touching or not even touching the stone. I would also have it checked out to make sure the aquamarine isn't synthetic, if you are fussed about such things.

Good observation about the prongs - honestly, there's something to be said for purchasing a ring that's ready to wear and doesn't need work. And yes, at that price point I would definitely want to make sure the stone isn't synthetic.

Etsy sapphire ring
Horrible cut with terrible zoning. If it isn't zoned, then the cut is so bad that it looks like the sapphire is colour zoned.

I have to admit to being a bit surprised that this ring received only 1 vote so far - I was really drawn to the setting and the large diamonds :D And the color of the sapphire appealed to me. But I certainly see what you mean by the poor cut. I kind of knew it wasn't a great quality stone from my lurking in CS, but I guess I tend to be a bit forgiving of these older pieces and I was swayed by the bling! But I guess it's a high price for a poor quality sapphire.

Tiffany Tanzanite
Very pretty light blue colour; not top tanzanite colour but still pretty and well cut.

I'm back to slightly considering this one lol! The only thing that's giving me pause is that it is the same shape as my ering, and I really wanted a different shape for some variety. If the tanzanite was cushion shaped, I would go for this ring.

DBL ring
Deep with an okay cut (quite the tilt window) but looks better after it is set. The nicest of all the options presented. DBL's photography method shines a LOT of light through the stone; I suspect that it is darker in person, which might be right up your alley after all. See the one picture where he has the sapphire between the fingers - it looks much darker there because he cannot shine light through his fingers. :lol:

Excellent point about the lighting - I am embarrassed to admit that I didn't even notice the difference in color when on the hand…the good news is I like that shade haha! I am strongly leaning towards this one - I'm assured of a good quality product, it's the style I originally wanted, and I think this ring is going to be gorgeous IRL.

Etsy sapphire
A lot of extinction; my concern is that the sapphire will black out unless you view it under strong lighting all the time. The link shows that it is no longer available.

Right - no longer available - I had pretty much ruled this one out, for the reason you stated - I like the color in the pic, but realize it will appear much darker IRL.

Ruby Lane
Also plagued by the same extinction but the cut is all right. Earth mined means that it is probably natural, as in mined from the earth, but definitely heated. It's up to you to decide whether you accept the risk of diffusion. Based on the price, I'm guessing the bulk of the cost is the setting and diamonds itself, not the sapphire.

I really like this ring, it just think it has a lot of charm - and yes, I agree that you're basically paying for the setting on this one.

Oscar Ring
Looks like a black stone in the hand shot.

Yes, I was a little surprised by how dark the sapphire appears - Oscar Heyman needs to hire you and the other CS experts as consultants lol!
I think the setting on this one is really beautiful, the oval shaped diamonds give it a unique look. I have to admit, it would be cool to have one high-end piece in my very limited jewelry collection.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Junebug :wavey: Just checking in to see if you have made a decision.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results