shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions on the value of this diamond?

bksquirrel

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone, first time poster! I am a bit anxious- my soon-to-be-fiance bought a stone after extensive research from a very reputable source in NYC (one that is constantly reccommended here, although I'm trying to maintain some anonymity!) While I am very confident in his research I am also very very careful when it comes to large purchases so to satisfy my own anxiety I just wanted to opinion of some knowledgeable folks on what one should spend for this diamond.

My request was an elongated shape that would look good on a thin and dainty solitaire setting. Everything else was up to him. While I left budget up to him, he and I discussed that we felt anything over $15k totaal for the ring would be too much for us to justify spending right now. I unfortunately don't have photos but here are the stats:

Cushion brilliant
1.67 carat
7.81 x 6.7 x 4.41
G
VVSI
depth 65.8
table 61
girdle: medium to very thick
polish and symmetry very good
strong blue flourescence

So I don't know much about diamonds, but my passing interest tells me this diamond probably looks a little bigger than its carat size, and that he probably got a price reduction for the flourescence (which I have no problem with because I know that he viewed the stone in daylight and UV light to confirm no cloudiness. and I think flourescence is kinda cool.) He showed me the GIA report but not the stone. There is one pinpoint "clarity characteristic" on the underside of the stone and no other inclusions noted.

He paid approximately $10,000 via bank wire. Did he get a good deal?

Thanks everyone!

Doc_1

Shiny_Rock
I would love to see the ASET, have you seen it?, usually it is a telling.

bksquirrel

Rough_Rock
I would love to see the ASET, have you seen it?, usually it is a telling.

I have not seen it! Sorry, very new to all this and just learning as I go. I have not seen any images of the stone. I understand that makes it much harder to say for sure what it is worth.

Doc_1

Shiny_Rock
I have not seen it! Sorry, very new to all this and just learning as I go. I have not seen any images of the stone. I understand that makes it much harder to say for sure what it is worth.

The ultimate test and the gold standard test is the human's eyes. I would like to say here that do not get nervous nor anxious about it, as long as it passed his eye's test chances it is stunning stone, keep in mind in his search he compared stones and when he picked the diamond you are referring to , likely it is pretty, enjoy it in health.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It sounds like a good price (without actually knowing if the stone is a good stone or not). The few I could find similar in color/clarity/size were in the
$12k+ range. Assuming your stone is GIA graded? I only checked James Allen and Bluenile. Not much to compare with. Maybe someone else
can check some other places.

bksquirrel

Rough_Rock
It sounds like a good price (without actually knowing if the stone is a good stone or not). The few I could find similar in color/clarity/size were in the
$12k+ range. Assuming your stone is GIA graded? I only checked James Allen and Bluenile. Not much to compare with. Maybe someone else
can check some other places.

Yes, that info is from the GIA report.

I also looked for comparable stones to get an idea about pricing but struggled a little because the only stones I could find with similar face up dimensions were much larger carat (1.85 and up), so I wasn't sure if that was a fair comparison or not.

But it sounds like at the very least he was ripped off, which is definitely a relief!

edits: typos

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Price is only good if you are happy with the diamond. We don't have enough information to determine cut quality; however, if I ignore cut quality I don't really see any stones for $10k or less using the same carat weight, color and clarity minimums you shared.

If it's the vendor I am thinking of, you should feel good knowing they have a strong reputation finding high quality stones for cheap prices.

FWIW, I absolutely love chunky style cushions and wish my fiancee had shared the love so I could have bought her one. FYI, the chunky style is on the right and the crushed ice look is on the left. People seem drawn to one or the other. No right or wrong answers -- just preference.

I hope you love your ring & stone once you get it! Please post pictures once it's official. :cool2:

crushed-ice.jpg

bksquirrel

Rough_Rock
Price is only good if you are happy with the diamond. We don't have enough information to determine cut quality; however, if I ignore cut quality I don't really see any stones for $10k or less using the same carat weight, color and clarity minimums you shared.

If it's the vendor I am thinking of, you should feel good knowing they have a strong reputation finding high quality stones for cheap prices.

FWIW, I absolutely love chunky style cushions and wish my fiancee had shared the love so I could have bought her one. FYI, the chunky style is on the right and the crushed ice look is on the left. People seem drawn to one or the other. No right or wrong answers -- just preference.

I hope you love your ring & stone once you get it! Please post pictures once it's official. :cool2:

crushed-ice.jpg

Thank you! That makes sense that you can't really tell without seeing it. He purchased in person which was important to him- internet purchases can be so nerve wracking! And yes I love the look on the right. Just seems classic to me, even though the crushed ice glitter is very beautiful as well. Will definitely share photos and his review of the people he worked with when its all said and done!

bksquirrel

Rough_Rock
Update: it’s gorgeous and I’m in love! (The guy is okay too ;)2) sorry for low quality photos- it’s so hard to capture it but it sparkles like crazy! He chose this one in the end for the extremely high clarity and no light leakage. Also the spread, which looks more like 2c than 1.67.

8D02FFD7-6ABC-439D-9ED2-EEDE8707E326.jpeg A8BC72D6-2D8B-4B28-ADDB-BBFA9C4D7DC9.jpeg E2C3FB15-DD28-45F6-98BB-D8D41A11D55B.jpeg 27FDABD7-193D-4E57-99EE-298101F36E7A.jpeg

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations! :))

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous :)

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Beautiful ring! He did well! So did you!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results