shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions on specific Padparadscha Sapphire and Vendor

jdholladay

Rough_Rock
I'm interested in purchasing this sapphire from Pristine Gemstone Jewelry.

http://shop.pristinegemstonejewelry...e-3-15-carats-for-engagement-ring-or-weddings

The three primary questions I have are...

1) Does anyone have experience purchasing from Pristine Gemstone Jewelry? Any feedback, positive or negative?

2) As best I can tell (and my knowledge/research is limited), this looks like a nice stone. Is there anything I should be particularly concerned about? Anything specifically I should be looking at/for? To what extent can I rely on the GRS report provided? I've read the report, but don't know if there's anything in particular I should be looking for on the report.

3) I'm primarily drawn to the color of this stone. Whether it is or isn't "padparadscha" isn't all that important to me. However, if a premium is being charged because it's labeled "padparadscha" and it's not in fact "padparadscha", that would concern me. Would anyone care to offer there thoughts on this particular stone? It seems to be a subjective term, so I guess I'm not necessarily looking for a definitive answer, but any opinions/comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

il_6.jpeg

Desertrose

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Hi Jdholladay,

I just posted a thread on my "padparadscha" color spinel....I can't give you much advice on the price, as I'm not experienced enough, but I did find this interesting article on the term "padparadscha" and what constitutes the actual color. It's written by an expert in the sapphire/ruby world of gems.
http://www.lotusgemology.com/index.php/library/articles/132-ownership-of-words-an-essay-on-padparadscha-sapphire

It sounds like the color term definition is up for debate. However, based on that article, I would think your stone is pretty light to be termed a pad. But again, I'm certainly no expert and others here may have better advice.

jdholladay

Rough_Rock
Hi Desertrose,

Thanks so much for sharing the link...that's a lot of great info!

I'm leaning toward your view, that this one appears to be lighter in color than what experts typically consider true padparadscha. I guess I need to do some more research to see if I can figure out whether it's appropriately priced, or if there's a premium built in because they've attached the padparadscha label to it.

Thanks again!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I believe there have been mixed reviews about that vendor here, but you might want to do a search for them. Try the search function here, and if that doesn't return anything then try a google search using "Pricescope" and "Pristine Gemstone Jewelry." That should work.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
1. Reviews posted here in PS have been mixed.

2. Define "nice". What are you looking for in the stone. What colour appeals to you the most? How fussed are you about cut? Will you be surprised/unhappy when it doesn't look as pictured most/all the time? The GRS report is now null because the stone has been recut and lost nearly 1 full ct, which will affect the colouration.

3. Given the recut, it could very well no longer be classified as a padparadscha since losing 1 ct is severe. I have issues with their photography and so am unwilling to speculate as to the actual colour of the sapphire.

jdholladay

Rough_Rock
Thanks, @minousbijoux, I'll definitely give that a try.

@Chrono,

Thanks for your response! Yes, "nice" probably wasn't the best adjective to use. Basically I'm looking for a cushion cut sapphire that has more of a peach/champagne/orange color than a pink color. I guess the best description of the color I'm looking for is in the picture itself...I realize that may not be how this actual sapphire looks, but the way it's depicted in the picture is what I would consider to be the ideal color. If that makes sense? I'm wanting to set it in rose gold halo engagement ring.

I'm glad you picked up on the GRS discrepancy...I hadn't noticed that. Other than the cost, is there a reason why they wouldn't get a new certification in a situation like this? Would it be unreasonable for me to request a new certification?

Thanks again!

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I would only pay pad prices for a stone with a report from a reputable lab labeling it as a pad. I also see a window

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If that color is accurate, I find it hard to believe that that stone would ever be found to be a padparadscha by a reputable lab. It is not a mix of pink and orange, but orange and brown. I don't think that color is terribly rare so I would look around. If you really are interested in that particular stone, then I would assume it would not be identified a pad, so the main reason to send it to a lab would be to verify that its a sapphire and that it has minimal treatment. In other words, an AGL brief would suffice. :))

AndreaVW

Rough_Rock
1. Reviews posted here in PS have been mixed.

2. Define "nice". What are you looking for in the stone. What colour appeals to you the most? How fussed are you about cut? Will you be surprised/unhappy when it doesn't look as pictured most/all the time? The GRS report is now null because the stone has been recut and lost nearly 1 full ct, which will affect the colouration.

3. Given the recut, it could very well no longer be classified as a padparadscha since losing 1 ct is severe. I have issues with their photography and so am unwilling to speculate as to the actual colour of the sapphire.

Hi Chrono. This is Andrea from Pristine Gemstones (www.etsy.com/shop/pristinegemstones) and Pristine Jewelry (www.etsy.com/shop/pristinejewelry) on Etsy. We also have our master website: www.pristinegemstonejewelry.com, and we have recently been invited to be a vendor for certain locations with TheKnot.com

I see reference to mixed reviews about us on here, but I cannot find the mixed reviews that are being referenced, and it certainly wouldn't be in line with the reviews that we receive on Etsy nor with the Better Business Bureau. Both of which are 3rd party platforms over which we have no control of their reviews.

I would appreciate if you could contact me to direct me to the mixed reviews. I would like an opportunity to clarify any confusion. As I have noticed that can often be the case, such as confusing two vendors with similar business names.

Thank you for your attention to this matter.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Chrono. This is Andrea from Pristine Gemstones (www.etsy.com/shop/pristinegemstones) and Pristine Jewelry (www.etsy.com/shop/pristinejewelry) on Etsy. We also have our master website: www.pristinegemstonejewelry.com, and we have recently been invited to be a vendor for certain locations with TheKnot.com

I see reference to mixed reviews about us on here, but I cannot find the mixed reviews that are being referenced, and it certainly wouldn't be in line with the reviews that we receive on Etsy nor with the Better Business Bureau. Both of which are 3rd party platforms over which we have no control of their reviews.

I would appreciate if you could contact me to direct me to the mixed reviews. I would like an opportunity to clarify any confusion. As I have noticed that can often be the case, such as confusing two vendors with similar business names.

Thank you for your attention to this matter.

Hi Andrea: With all due respect, I would not expect Chrono or anyone else for that matter to reach out to you regarding the threads here where folks were not pleased with Pristinegemstones. I do recall too that there have been PSers who were less than happy with stones purchased from your site.

The link in the OP message seems wrong? I get no result.
If the gem shown below the OP's text is the one in question, I'd be surprised if GRS has called it a padparadscha. I imagine them different. Or the photo is so over-edited that all color is gone but why would anybody do that? It looks sand-colored or skin colored.

AndreaVW

Rough_Rock
Hi there,

This is Andrea with Pristine Gemstone Jewelry. That sapphire has been sold, and that is why the link doesn't work.

We don't edit our photos unless we can improve the accuracy, reduce overexposure, etc. We have occasionally used a program to size our photos consistently for website purposes, which has unintentionally caused problems with our photos (which we clean up when we get the opportunity). We are a small mom and pop shop. However, we also provide videos, etc for confirmation. We did indeed have a GRS certificate on this, as well as an appraisal by an independent 3rd party (as it is a conflict of interest to use in house appraisers). I cannot recall if the GRS called it Padparadscha or not to be honest. Regardless, we are surprised too at what is called Padparadscha in the industry. What we will do is call something "Padparadscha color" to be on the safe side. Often, unfortunately, for online vendors, Google search, as well as the general public's understanding vs what they are actually looking for, impacts how we have to title our listings. Google search is a whole other matter that has to be considered when selling online, and it is constantly evolving.

Thank you!
Andrea

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Simply put I would not call that sapphire "Padparadscha" in any way.... If the OP is looking for one, I think we can do better.

AndreaVW

Rough_Rock
Simply put I would not call that sapphire "Padparadscha" in any way.... If the OP is looking for one, I think we can do better.

I agree HotPozzum. I don't know that we did call it Padparadscha (we would have used tags for Padparadscha as often people search that term, but are in fact looking for a morganite-colored stone...the internet is making things tricky for naming things in this industry), and I can't recall whether or not the GRS called it Pad. That sapphire has been sold. That was older inventory from 1 1/2 years ago.

BlingObsession

Shiny_Rock
Premium

AndreaVW

Rough_Rock
I thought vendors were supposed to have TRADE on their postings? Just sayin'
Please show me how! I just joined yesterday, and I tried to provide trade credentials, but I don't know what they wanted, ie. website, business number. I tried to find instructions on how to use this site, but I can't. I would appreciate your or anyone's help please and thank you!

Why are all those old threads here suddenly? I answered thinking to help somebody with his choices but now I realize these people are long gone.

AndreaVW

Rough_Rock
My sincere apologies to you Norman and everyone else!! This was my fault, and I have already been "spanked" politely and informatively for this! :oops:

I just opened my account on Tuesday I believe, and I was searching old posts. I felt compelled to provide clarification on some of those posts, since those posts pertained to my husband's and my business. However, I wasn't following any forums at the time, so I didn't know responding pulled these old posts back to the front of the forums. I know now and am quite embarrassed, but I am a big girl and will recover.

Please accept my apologies for dragging you into my "PriceScope fail"!! :???:

AndreaVW

Rough_Rock
Why are all those old threads here suddenly? I answered thinking to help somebody with his choices but now I realize these people are long gone.
Shoot!....sorry, truly still learning here Norman. I had replied to your message without hitting "reply". Here is my reply a second time, but now I have hit reply so hopefully you get notified...

My sincere apologies to you Norman and everyone else!! This was my fault, and I have already been "spanked" politely and informatively for this! :oops:

I just opened my account on Tuesday I believe, and I was searching old posts. I felt compelled to provide clarification on some of those posts, since those posts pertained to my husband's and my business. However, I wasn't following any forums at the time, so I didn't know responding pulled these old posts back to the front of the forums. I know now and am quite embarrassed, but I am a big girl and will recover.

Please accept my apologies for dragging you into my "PriceScope fail"!! :???:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results