shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions on Sapphire 3.5 ctw ring

NYCtoMidwest

Rough_Rock
Hello folks,

My wife and I have been looking for a new ring and while we have looked at diamonds, she is also open to the idea of a colored stone. We found this ring:

sapphire_13.jpg
sapphire2_13.jpg
sapphire3_2.jpg
sapphire5_1.jpg sapphire4_1.jpg

The specs:

1 Natural cushion cut sapphire that weighs 3.50ctw.
20 Old mine cut diamonds of H-VS2 quality that weigh 0.50ctw.
4 Naturals baguette cut diamonds of H-VS2 quality that weigh 0.30ctw.
Ring size: 6 3/4
Ring face: 13mm by 14mm
Rise above finger: 7mm
Total weight: 4.6grams –2.9dwt

It is currently priced at almost 5k. The stone looks somewhat dark from the photographs, but we are not sure if that is due to the lighting or any other photographic reflection/refraction. Do you all think that this is a well priced ring?

Is there anything that we should be looking for? Is there anything that makes it non-feasible? Any advice or comments would be greatly appreciated!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Opinions on eBay Sapphire 3.5 ctw ring

Looks dark. In my opinion I don't think it's the lighting. Typically enay sellers don't put their stones in their least flattering light, kwim?

What's she looking for, exactly?

NYCtoMidwest

Rough_Rock
Hi Niel,

Thank you for your response. I asked my wife what she was looking for and she noted, in her own words what she is looking for:

- We have a $10k budget, but would prefer substantially less so she can buy a decent watch or maybe other pieces
- Good value (meaning that she doesn't want to overpay for whatever we get)
- Platinum, 999 gold, 24k yellow gold or 22k yellow gold
- Art deco is her go-to style but she's open to others
- Prefers vintage but is open to new
- In this case she loves the mounting / setting and doesn't mind a Kate Middleton sort of navy stone but doesn't want it to look black all the time and doesn't want to overpay for what the ring is.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So she is only looking for a blue sapphire? Or other colors too?

NYCtoMidwest

Rough_Rock
She is open to other colors. Whites, blues, greens, and possibly yellows, but no pink, red, orange, or purple. Ideally, the stone should be durable for everyday wear. The center stone should be round, asscher, cushion, or emerald.

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Yeah, this sapphire will look black. Have you looked at Jewels By Grace? She might have something you and your wife would like.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think this is crazy is crazy beautiful but not everyone's taste. A lot of the cost is the cost of the setting.
***he does not offer returns from my understanding****

my phone is being dumb and won't let me link. But its at leonmege.com under the sale tabtab its 6500

r6241-3wx6.jpg

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here are some other nice options from Julia B, a well-known Etsy vendor.

il_570xN.698922531_m5ig.jpg il_570xN.888024320_8w9z.jpg il_570xN.690625876_m6gv.jpg il_570xN.887786579_o2r4.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some sapphires from Joe Escobar

_35872.jpg

resizer__1_0.jpg

resizer__2_.jpg

resizer__3_.jpg

NYCtoMidwest

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all of the links folks. She likes the 2.67ct Montana Sapphire Halo, but not the flower petals in the gallery. Leon Mege has some amazing pieces and my wife especially loves his prongs, but we feel that a halo is probably the way we would like to go.

In terms of blue, I think we are looking for something a bit deeper, and not a "superman blue" if that makes any sense?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
NYCtoMidwest|1451874387|3970196 said:
Thanks for all of the links folks. She likes the 2.67ct Montana Sapphire Halo, but not the flower petals in the gallery. Leon Mege has some amazing pieces and my wife especially loves his prongs, but we feel that a halo is probably the way we would like to go.

In terms of blue, I think we are looking for something a bit deeper, and not a "superman blue" if that makes any sense?

Can you provide a swatch of what you're talking about.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A colour example will be good. Note that blue sapphires look best in diffused sunlight and will get darker indoors. Also, photography tends to show the better blue. In short, shop for a lighter blue because it will be darker in person.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
sapphirecolor04_3.jpg

Maybe tell us your preferred color using this graphic? That way we know what you mean when you say darker than the superman blue :) to me it sounds like you mean you'd like a "medium" color, but I just want to be sure

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Superman blue = medium blue to me.

All we've done is covered tone, which we now know you prefer a darker shade, probably medium dark.
Then, we go into modifiers or secondary colour. Do you want pure blue, a bit of green, a bit of yellow, or a bit of violet?
How intense do you want it to be?

Based on the budget, I presume heated.

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have not bought from Rozental Antiques. I researched them awhile back and found a few reviews that the photos are reliable, but the descriptions are optimistic, ie H diamonds were really J. So I would think if the blue is too dark for her in their photos it would be too dark in person.

If you have time you could buy a stone and setting separately. There are some nice deco setting reproductions out there if it doesn't have to be an antique. Of course, this will be more challenging than getting an already completed piece, but gives you more flexibility with color.

Good luck with your search.

NYCtoMidwest

Rough_Rock
The blue that Violetphoenix linked to is similar to the blue that we are looking for. Utilizing the scale that lovedogs provided, the colors that speak the most to us are: Vivid Light, Strong Medium, Vivid Medium, Strong Dark, and Vivid Dark. In terms if secondary color, dear wife said she prefers green. Intensity - Not so sure. She said that heated treatments does not bother her.

This is a ring that she liked, as previously noted,http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/rings/2-67ct-montana-sapphire-halo-ring#.VoshshUrLWJ

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
NYCtoMidwest|1451958759|3970747 said:
The blue that Violetphoenix linked to is similar to the blue that we are looking for. Utilizing the scale that lovedogs provided, the colors that speak the most to us are: Vivid Light, Strong Medium, Vivid Medium, Strong Dark, and Vivid Dark. In terms if secondary color, dear wife said she prefers green. Intensity - Not so sure. She said that heated treatments does not bother her.

This is a ring that she liked, as previously noted,http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/rings/2-67ct-montana-sapphire-halo-ring#.VoshshUrLWJ

Ar ethe floral petals really the end of the world? You're looking for second hand, so when you do that you kind of need to play the cards you're delt. If that was really her only concern, maybe still a nice contender?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel|1451960398|3970765 said:
NYCtoMidwest|1451958759|3970747 said:

Ar ethe floral petals really the end of the world? You're looking for second hand, so when you do that you kind of need to play the cards you're delt. If that was really her only concern, maybe still a nice contender?

+1 to this!!! Of course I mean this respectfully and nicely, but I think in the long run the petals are a relatively minor thing. Also I'm not sure if anyone who knows jewelry better than me could comment--but is there anything anyone could do about them if she really dislikes them? Like make a different gallery? Or is that 100% impossible? Sorry, I just don't know enough about how to make jewelry to comment on that aspect. But that ring is SO BEAUTIFUL that I'd hate for you to miss out based on the gallery alone :)

NYCtoMidwest

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

Apologies for the much delayed response. I should have been clear regarding the aforementioned ring. My wife has an extreme sensitivity to white gold due to the alloys, so unless the setting is platinum or .999 gold, it is not something that she is able to wear. The ring with the flower petal gallery was white gold and was the main reason why it was not pursued. My wife reminded me that although the petals were not to her liking, it was an issue of the material.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results