clarity

Opinions on pink spinel

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would reach out to him and ask about the clarity and whether its super sleepy or whether its just a photo that makes it appear that way. I suggest this because he gives the clarity a 9/10, which would not be appropriate, really, for a silky stone. Do note that several of us have noted recently that his photos are taken in optimal studio lighting, and oftentimes appear darker and less intensely colored in hand. That said, of his regular cuts, his rounds are quite pretty. I have one of his Jua rounds in a tsavorite and I love it.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have seen many vendors list sleepy or silky stones as eye clean. Most only consider obvious bubbles or inclusions or feathers as clarity challenged. From knowing Gene's photography, it is fairly accurate, or rather, as accurate as one can get without spending hours trying to get one stone right. I do agree that it is best to email him to verify.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you read my comments, I was not referring to whether or not it is eye clean - as I'm sure it is - I was referring to the fact that he lists the clarity as 9/10 which is odd to do for a sleepy stone without specifying it as such. And we have a difference of opinion on just how accurate Gene's photos are, as I indicated in my response. :))

lilysweet

Shiny_Rock
Thanks so much for the replies! Even after reading all the tutorials I don't feel like I have a handle on what makesmamgoodmstone for the price. I am looking for something for my mom and seeing that color I think she would like it. Not fuchsia, not too neon, not too purple. Are there any other stones similiar to this color that anyone has seen recently? It doesn't have to be a spinel. The color is what I am after mostly. Thanks again!!!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm sorry there's just no short cuts to shopping for the right coloured stone. Even within the colour "pink", there are so many different modifiers, so you'll have to look at many stones to find THE stone. Pricing is set primarily by colour, so if the colour is in demand (typically a very intense or HOT colour), then the price is higher. Of course carat weight and treatment has some bearing too, as does cut, but colour is the prime price setter. Therefore, what makes it a good price for one person, might not be a good price for another person, if that's not the right colour for them.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If I were you, I'd check out some of the stones that Gemfix has, here: http://gemfix.com/gem-category/spinel/

I also know that many PSers have had good luck with Yvonne Raley and Julia B on etsy.

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gene would probably be willing to send you a short video if you ask him.

lilysweet

Shiny_Rock
I emailed Gene and asked about the silkiness possibility and if it were possible to get a video. I am still waiting for a reply. Thanks!

lilysweet

Shiny_Rock
Wow! Gem fix has some beautiful stones! :love: :love: :love: Since color is my main criteria, if I can find it in both sapphire and spinel which should I be more interested in?

lilysweet

Shiny_Rock
Niel, that cut looks beautiful but the color seems a bit purple to me. Is that what is likely to be in real life? Am I only going to know by buying, seeing and then returning until I find a match?! Thanks!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Prices for pink spinels in the shades you like are still cheaper than sapphires, so that is certainly something to consider.

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
There was a video of the stone, along with 3 others, when it first came up for sale. I also had trouble deciphering Gene's photos so more vides would be good.

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe this is a little too hot pink for you? I had asked for more photos but he didn't have any, however in my own rudimentary search it seems his photography is accurate. Great price, though it is tourmaline so not quite as durable as spinel or sapphire. Is this for a ring or another piece of jewelry (less of a concern if it's say, a pendant). Sorry if I missed that bit of info.

http://www.earthstreasury.com/product/1-24-carat-hot-pink-tourmaline/

nickynewark

Rough_Rock
I like the Mehenge material. 6.5mm custom cut.

112mahenge.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results