shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions on pear pics

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

rachnr

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone - I''m fairly new here and mostly a lurker, but I just got the Idealscope/ASET images and SARIN report on a pear stone I''ve been looking at and wanted some opinions. I know pears don''t do well in Idealscope pictures, but this seems like it''s leaking a lot of light? I haven''t seen many pear Idealscopes so I also don''t have much to compare it to and I''m not great at decoding the ASET image either. Can any pear experts let me know how this one looks?

The other specs are:
1.84 F VS2
10.95x7x4.1
Medium blue fluorescence
EX polish
VG symmetry

I''d appreciate any opinions!!

SARIN_GIA16226713.gif

rachnr

Rough_Rock
The ASET image

AST_GIA16226713.jpg

rachnr

Rough_Rock
The IS

IS_GIA16226713.jpg

rachnr

Rough_Rock
Last one!

DI40X_GIA16226713.jpg

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
I''m no expert for sure - but it does seem a bit leaky. There may be a different set if standards for pears than rounds though. I think pears are just more leaky by nature?? Not sure.

So useless advice huh?
2.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
First of all, you can't look at a pear and expect to see the perfect red and black IS or red/blue/green ASETs that you're going to get with rounds. Never gonna happen. Pears are going to leak, the question is to what extent. I still don't know what a 'really good' pear ASET looks like. I'd love to be shown. What I do know is that a lot of white is no good, whether it be on an IS or ASET.

What I can say is that the IS didn't look terribly bad to me. Yes, there is some leakage but it's along the lines of what I might expect for a pear. The ASET didn't look half bad either, though I'd love to be shown what 'great' and 'crappy' ones are for comparison's sake.

According to AGA cut chart:
Table rates 1A
Crown rates 1B (just misses 1A by 0.1%)
Depth rates 1A
L to W is within ideal (1.57)

ETA: and not to threadjack, but if Lady Amythyst comes back I'd love her to tell me about the ring in her avatar, even if she starts a new thread about it. (hint)

rachnr

Rough_Rock
Thanks, Firegoddess - I think that's my issue. I know they will be "leakier" and that the ASETs aren't going to be full of blue/red/green, but I also would love to know what a good/bad one looks like so I could compare the images on this to something. Even better, I'd love to see the IS or ASET images of a "great" stone, not a perfect one as I'm sure there ARE pears that have beautiful images but it's useless to compare this one to a near perfect one!

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
My avatar info is over at the Royal Jewels thread I started...

Good luck on the pear!!

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/15/2007 7:14:10 PM
Author: rachnr
Thanks, Firegoddess - I think that''s my issue. I know they will be ''leakier'' and that the ASETs aren''t going to be full of blue/red/green, but I also would love to know what a good/bad one looks like so I could compare the images on this to something. Even better, I''d love to see the IS or ASET images of a ''great'' stone, not a perfect one as I''m sure there ARE pears that have beautiful images but it''s useless to compare this one to a near perfect one!

Well I am no expert, but if you go by the AGA cut chart Firegoddess went by, your pear is pretty darn close to their standard of perfect! I think maybe you should ask Whiteflash about this pear''s IS and ASET and how they rate against other pears WF has come into contact with lately. For instance, check out the thread about Gothgirl''s new pear over in Show Me The Ring. This is the second pear she had them get for her and she thought the first pear''s IS image wasn''t as good as the pear she ended up with. So maybe you can compare those IS images to yours?

Hopefully an expert will pop in and give their opinion.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the info LadyAmythyst.

I'd say this pear looks pretty nice. I'd still like to see some pro examples of good and bad pear ASETs though.
5.gif

rachnr

Rough_Rock
Thanks thing2! That was actually really helpful. I had tried to do a search on pear idealscope or pear aset to see if I could find others to compare it to, but not much came up, and I didn''t see that one when I searched. It was interesting to see her two idealscopes. The first one seemed to have more white than mine does but she commented on how sparkly it is, so I can only imagine what her second one looks like. Her second one seems to be stronger than mine (I think?) as does her ASET, but maybe not by that much? Any more expert opinions would be greatly appreciated as I''m still just looking with novice eyes and am not too sure if I''m interpreting things correctly.

I contact WF to see about their thoughts and whatnot but haven''t heard back yet. Is there any way to tell from these images how strong the bowtie is? It doesn''t appear to be strong, but again I have a hard time knowing what to look for in these pictures!

rachnr

Rough_Rock
Me too Firegoddess! Hint hint, wink wink to any pro out there!!
1.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Maybe I''ll just bluntly start a thread about it and see if anyone bites.
2.gif

rachnr

Rough_Rock
Go for it!

PS - LOVE your pear, which I know a number of people have expressed in this forum in the past, but thought I''d add myself to that list!

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Done. And thanks! Strange, but I never get tired of hearing it.
9.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Aren''t all fancies somewhat "leaky"? I thought Gary or some other expert said that once, but then again, I could be making it up.
25.gif

rachnr

Rough_Rock
Ellen, I believe they are, I just have no frame of reference of what makes one (based on IS and ASET images) leakier or not. I just can''t tell if this is leaky for a pear/fancy or if it''s pretty good for a pear/fancy.

Here''s hoping someone gives a (at least somewhat) definitive answer to Firegoddess''s new post!

rachnr

Rough_Rock
Firegoddess or anyone else who might know - in the SARIN it says that the culet and table are off center. On the culet off center, it notes that (from what I can read) it's lengthwise and not width. Is that the same for the table? In either case, is .11 mm a lot for being off-center, or are these numbers I shouldn't really worry about?

ETA: Oh, and if any other experts have opinions on the ASET and stone in general, I'd still love to hear them!

elmo

Brilliant_Rock
Looks like a very nice pear to me, just the way I like the outline and length/width. It's a great weight (1.84 - a two carat look at much lower price) plus it's spready, i.e. I think you'll find pears over 2 carats the same dimensions that don't look as good.

You'll have to ask an expert but I'm thinking that a very few pears with more depth may have slightly better light return. But the nice outline spread weight and F color are significant positives on this one.

p.s. Ask John or Brian for a technical explanation but I wouldn't worry so much about the Sarin comment about the culet off center. It's perfect along the width; just a little closer to the midpoint along the length than Sarin thinks it should be, but I didn't think there's a single "correct" culet location along the length for a pear.

rachnr

Rough_Rock
Thanks elmo! So you''re saying that deeper pears typically return light better?

rachnr

Rough_Rock
To everyone who chimed in, I appreciate it! I saw the stone today and it was very very pretty. A little stronger bowtie than another I was comparing it to, but it had what I thought was a lovely amount of sparkle and life to it and a perfect shape, lines, and shoulders.

Thanks again, and FG, I''m off to bump your thread again which practically needs a big flashing "Garry read this now" sign attached :)

elmo

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/16/2007 5:32:23 PM
Thanks elmo! So you''re saying that deeper pears typically return light better?
No, that''s not what I said
1.gif
. There are enough other variables that I wouldn''t generalize about depth like that. To put it another way, shopping for myself, this is in the range I''d look for, I wouldn''t look at stones much shallower, but I''d consider somewhat deeper stones.

If you like the stone enough to buy it, you might ask a good appraiser to double check the color with diamond masters in UV-free lighting. I like the medium blue but there''s a bit of a chance it could have skewed the GIA grading.

Gothgrrl

Brilliant_Rock
From what I can tell, your pear looks like it''ll be quite lovely. I believe Sparkles has search for a pear and her IS looks pretty similar to yours. I was told in fancy cuts, you won''t get the pretty reds like you will in a round. I can''t wait to se what your going to do with it. And the size, love it!
36.gif

rachnr

Rough_Rock
Thanks gothgrrl! We purchased the stone and we''re currently waiting for its custom setting to be made, so I''ll definitely post the finished product when it''s all done in a couple weeks!

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/23/2007 11:36:42 PM
Thanks gothgrrl! We purchased the stone and we''re currently waiting for its custom setting to be made, so I''ll definitely post the finished product when it''s all done in a couple weeks!

That''s exciting! What type of setting are you going for? Are you having WF make it?

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Congrats! How will this baby be set??

rachnr

Rough_Rock
Sorry, ladies - I spaced out on this thread.

WF is setting it, in fact and I''m going with a custom split shank/crown with micropave 1/2 way around. I thought briefly about a halo, because I love them on other people but I don''t like the way it looks on my finger. But I still wanted a vintage-y look. So, I saw the CAD and it looked great. My soon-to-be fiance won''t let me see the final pictures though, so...I''m getting quite antsy!! I probably won''t get to see it for another couple of weeks...I''ll post pictures when I get it though!

Thanks for all the advice and help everyone!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tell your FI we are antsy too so hopefully we''ll get to see it on your finger soon.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results