shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions on ovals

ovaldiamonds

Rough_Rock
Wondering what the PS community thinks about these two ovals. Left is a 2.6, I, SI1 and right is 3.0, J, SI1. Right now I'm leaning towards the left one as it is cheaper and looks roughly the same size. Curious to hear opinions on these stones e.g. whether they are reasonable quality or I should keep looking

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Would love to help, but this is what I get, when I try to view the video...

AE5B747E-493A-4013-BAD8-AE7A5A02FF5D.jpeg

ovaldiamonds

Rough_Rock
Wondering what the PS community thinks about these two ovals. Left is a 2.6, I, SI1 and right is 3.0, J, SI1. Right now I'm leaning towards the left one as it is cheaper and looks roughly the same size. Curious to hear opinions on these stones e.g. whether they are reasonable quality or I should keep looking

Sorry about that reposted the video below. Let me know what you all think!

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry about that reposted the video below. Let me know what you all think!

Not sure of the lighting. Both seem to have significant bow-tie effect across the belly of the stone.
Can definitely see the tint in the stone on the right.
How are you setting the stone? What color metal will you use?
If you’re looking for more ideal specs, and no bow-tie, I’d recommend Jonathan @Rhino at August Vintage, Inc.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you have the dimensions or pics of the certificates?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Honestly the J looks extremely tinted vs the I, though the J also looks bigger. I see a bigger bowtie in the J, but the I has one as well. Neither are my favorite to be honest. What is the price you are trying to stay within, and what dimension stone do you prefer?

ovaldiamonds

Rough_Rock
The 2.6 is 10.8 x 8 and the 3 is 11.2 x 8.4. The smaller one was I think around 5-6k cheaper than the larger - from my unexperienced eye, doesn't seem like the larger one is worth that much of a price difference.

I'm looking to stay under 25k, hopefully get something around 3ct (or visually around 3ct). Also, would like to set the stone in yellow gold pave.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Found some potential options. Note that I am not an oval expert by any means. I mostly look for stones without huge bowties, and with clear facets and no "mushy" middles.

2.64ct (not quite 3ct), but love the facets.

3.11ct, I don't like the faceting quite as much as the first one, but still like it.

Here are 2 more that are ok, but more mushy facets than I prefer:

ovaldiamonds

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much! Will look into these

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
August Vintage Oval in your budget range.
Not as heavy, but ideal cut.
This stone will out perform any oval out there. These are exclusively Jonathan’s, and are top notch.
Size means nothing if it’s dull & lifeless.
The cut of these stones make them stand out and appear larger than they are.
I highly recommend looking into these. Jonathan is a dream to work with.

Last edited:

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Between the two, I like the 2.6 I in regards to light return. But the J noticeably bigger. Tough call.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think I prefer the "I" but this is with limited info (video...would like to see up close video of both stones like JA has).

Also like the last stone lovedogs posted.

ovaldiamonds

Rough_Rock
fwiw here's the 2.6 ct on james allen. I find the bowtie extremely difficult to tell from the james allen videos because from the video it looks like there is no bowtie whatsoever but in person you can definitely see a faint one

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results