shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions on (or pictures of) sapphire side stones?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

theinquisitor

Rough_Rock
Greetings, and thanks, everyone, for your input on how to set my oval center stone. We have definitely decided to go with a thin bezel setting. However, now we''re stumped on the sidestones.

I am going with a simple WG band, and we''d like to put a sapphire on each side. The jeweler suggested placing round sapphires in adjoining bevels on each side of the diamond. I''m just afraid that they will compete too much with the center stone, making it look like a "diamond-and-sapphire ring" as opposed to a "diamond ring with sapphire side stones." I know it sounds silly, but I want it to be clear that this is an engagement ring.

I was thinking of asking him to put the sapphires of whatever shape (we haven''t decided yet -- open to suggestions!) in a flush setting on the band. The jeweler doesn''t have any samples of that arrangement, and I have been unable to find pictures of any rings like that on the internet, so I thought I would come to the experts and see if you know of any photos or have any opinions on how this might look!

Thanks again for all of your help; we''d like to get this right the first time!

pearcrazy

Brilliant_Rock
Not an oval center, but here's an example of a semi-bezel round with sapphires on each side, maybe you could get some idea of how things might look for your ring.

https://www.pricescope.com/forum/rockytalky/regina-s-mark-morrell-ring-coming-soon-t14775-30.html

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Check this thread. I'm also looking at pear sapphire as sides. I'm going with the Diana Couture setting near the bottom of the thread.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/platinum-and-sapphire-settings.18977/

bar01

Brilliant_Rock
----------------
On 9/13/2004 10:34:00 AM theinquisitor wrote:

I know it sounds silly, but I want it to be clear that this is an engagement ring.

----------------
theinquister -

Nice choice to use Sapphires as the sides.

Go with what looks good to you for an E-Ring. I have seen 3 stone rings with sides that vary from 25% to 50% of the center stone. That is if you had a one ct center stone each side could be .25-.5cts.

Howvever, it is up to debate as to what is clearly an engagement ring. E- rings can use any kind/sizes of center and side stones. Princess Diana was given a Sapphire ring for engagement ring. There are other examples of Royalty or Celebrities using Sapphires, Rubies, Emeralds or other stones with (or without) diamonds in any kind of arrangement or proportions.

Tiffanys shows a nice combination Diamond with side sapphires. Maybe not quite the configuration you had in mind. These sapphires are probably larger than you would like??? I think it looks very nice for an E-ring.

Tiffany 3 Stone - E Ring

Also- I think it is great you are using colored stones in your e-ring. Many people are using them these days. Some even as the main stone. Here are some nice examples.

Colored Engagement Rings

It comes down to what you and your future partner like.

pearcrazy

Brilliant_Rock
Bar01,

I'm with Inquisitor. I think the American tradition of an engagement ring is with a diamond. While colored gemstones are beautiful for engagement rings, I wouldn't be sure if I saw one without a wedding band on a ladies left ring finger whether the ring was an engagement ring or just a beautiful piece she's wearing on her left hand. My paternal Grandma wore a garnet as an engagement ring. My sister now wears it on her right hand. I'm working on a three stone ring with a diamond center and sapphires on the side that I intend to wear on my RIGHT hand. I'm looking to have all three stones about the same size since I DO NOT want my ring to look so much like an engagement ring. I have a diamond wedding set I wear on my left hand. I think that perhaps Inquisitor needs to experiment with the size ratio between the center diamond and the side sapphires to make sure that they don't overpower the ring.

It certainly does come down to what they like. I think he's clear in that he doesn't want too much sapphire.

bar01

Brilliant_Rock
Pearcrazy,

Selecting jewelry is a highly personal and emotional choice – especially an engagement ring. Like I said – it is up to her and her fiancé what they like.

There are some trends to increasingly use colored stones more dramatically in an E-ring. This includes larger sides - or even as the main center stone.

This kind topic (using colored or non-traditional) has been discussed before on PS. There is tremendous pressure in the US to follow “The Jones” and rely mainly (or entirely) on a big expensive diamond as the center piece - and not to dramatically use colored stones (side or center).

In my first marriage – I gave a fine Burma Ruby (no diamonds) as an engagement ring. The comments my ex wife received were wonderful – they knew what it was - something unique and special. My current plan for an engagement ring will most likely use a fine Sapphire as the center stone and diamonds (2-1 ratio) on the sides. It is my opinion that a fine ruby or sapphire is absolutely beautiful as an e-ring.

I do agree that “most people” expect and understand the use of a diamond as the center piece in an E-ring and don't believe in using colored stones which would compete with a diamond for attention.

Again I am not criticizing her choice to use “Smaller” side sapphires - far from it. I think it will be very nice choice. It will highlight her diamond nicely - without overwhelming it. In fact I think it is great that she decided to use sapphires in the E-ring.

pearcrazy

Brilliant_Rock
I wasn't saying that you were wrong. Read his post again. He obviously feels like HIS idea of an engagement ring doesn't have large sapphire side stones. He's looking to stay more traditional. Read my post again too, my granny had a garnet ring for her engagement stone. I looked at the pictures you posted and I'm sorry but I wouldn't look at the emerald one and immediately think "That girl's engaged". No doubt it's a gorgeous ring. The second ring with the diamond center, yes would I assume if I saw it on the left hand that it was an engagement ring. Just my opinion, but that was what he was asking for!! You seemed to take offense at HIS idea of an engagement ring. I'm sure he's aware of other possibilities for such, he wasn't asking for suggestions for alternatives after all.

Sheesh, peace yourself and calm down fella!! I agreed with you on to each his own!!

bar01

Brilliant_Rock
Pearcrazy,

I re-read this whole thread again. I edited my posts - to tone it down a bit. Like I said - engagement ring chocies can be an emotional decision - I am not immune. I suppose I did react emotionally to her statement - that she would not consider it engagement ring if the side sapphires were "too large". My applogies - I did not intend to be unhelpful or crticial of her feelings. I guess she was not really asking for a debate on the use colored stones in E-rings - but some pictures of E-rings with side sapphires that were smaller.

I tired to show the Tiffany ring so she could see an example of a fine E-ring with what she might consider as "larger" side Sapphires. I was just trying to show him a possible alternative.

The web link I gave on colored E-rings was just for disucssion. Maybe I should have skipped that. It not only had the emerald E-ring example - but if you go through the other pages (using the little arrow in the corner) you can see many other examples of the use of colored stones (as centers)in engagement rings. To me - they still say that "the person is engaged". But I know I am not in the majority on that perception.

Yes - lets just say we both agree - to each his own.

theinquisitor

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your replies. First of all, I just wanted to apologize for any offense my initial post may have caused. In no way was I trying to malign non-diamond engagement rings or imply that they are in any way inferior or not real engagement rings. In fact, when my BF and I first started talking about e-rings, I said that I wanted a sapphire center stone. But after some discussion about the issue, for a variety of reasons, we decided to go with what is generally understood to be the more traditional design (in U.S. engagement rings at least), with a diamond center stone.

I don't view either traditional or non-traditional as "better," and certainly traditions vary from place to place -- that's just what we decided on for ourselves. A beautiful ring is a beautiful ring, whatever the stones, and an engagement ring is an engagement ring, as long as it is in consideration of marriage! I didn't make myself very clear in my first post, and I'm sorry for that.

Thank you for posting the links, those rings are GORGEOUS!!! The diamond we're working with is 1ct, and I was thinking of 15 point sapphires; small enough that they won't compete, but big enough that they're visible and the color will come through. Having seen the rings that were posted, I'm thinking that I will put the sapphires into a flush setting in the band on either side of the bezel. I agree, the pears are also a great shape -- I'll have to consult with the jeweler about that one!

I appreciate the feedback, and any additional opinions or ring pics are welcome!

bar01

Brilliant_Rock
Best wishes to you. I think your choice will be wonderful.

Post a picture when you get it !

goldengirl

Brilliant_Rock
If you really want the diamond to take precedence, my suggestion would be to have the sapphires channel-set in the band. Maybe even alternating with more diamonds, if you like...

Like, so:
lickout.gif
(This is essentially my IDEAL ring!
2.gif
)

sapphchannelset15.jpg

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It really matters how blue those sapphires are! Look below
4.gif

Blueband.JPG

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Valeria, that ring is goooorgeous! Is that custom, or did you find it from a vendor site? Would you share the link?

katrina_33

Shiny_Rock
Imagine what's on this page, but with a diamond center and sapphire sidestones instead of the other way around. I think this looks like an engagement ring!

http://www.jewelryexpert.com/catalog/Sapphire-Cool-Ice-Custom-Ring-sr.htm

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
another gorgeous contender!

goldengirl

Brilliant_Rock
Oooo, Val, that's TASTY!! I love how the stones/band tapers down...
love.gif

theinquisitor

Rough_Rock
Wowza!!! Those are some gorgeous rings. I love both of those looks!! And yes, it is a big difference when the sapphires are a brighter blue. My jeweler showed me some of his sapphires and they were beautiful, so I hope I can get some of the same quality.

Well, we're going to see him later this week, I haven't decided -- you all have given me a lot to think about. What a terrible position to be in, choosing between GORGEOUS settings!!
1.gif
I will definitely post a picture when I get the ring, but it will be awhile -- I won't get the ring for two months!! PURGATORY!!
1.gif

Thanks again to everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results