shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions on my first diamond pls :)

LBeezy34

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

First time poster but an avid PS reader. You have all helped me with the education off what to look out for when buying a well performing diamond.

I have bought the most balanced stone I could find for an upcoming engagement ring for my special gf.

https://www.jamesallen.com/mobile/l...-color-vvs2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-5490738

It scored a 2.3 HCA but i thought it would perform better with the specs.

It also has an indented natural but i can't see it so it's probably at the girdle.

Id like to know your thoughts on this particular stone in regards to specs, price ($4000 USD as I got it from another wholesaler not JA), optical performance etc. Did I get I good one?

I'm very happy with it but not 100% sure as it's still being shipped.

Thanks again in advance! =)

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm a little worried about having PSers tell you that this isn't the best choice when you've already purchased it.

LBeezy34

Rough_Rock
I'm a little worried about having PSers tell you that this isn't the best choice when you've already purchased it.

I won't be taking it back but more of an evaluation of how my education panned out. The opinions of the more experienced is important to me whether the feedback is good or bad I find it all constructive. It was also about timing I needed to get a stone and ring design process moving full steam ahead to get it in time for our 10th yr anniversary of being together.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wish you had asked this question before buying.

The crown angle is too steep @ 36.5. While you were correct in pairing with a shallower 40.6 pavilion, you would want that crown to max out at 35...maybe 35.5. I'm also concerned the 75 LGF's may not play as nicely as 80 LGF's would with your crown/pavilion combo.

But as such, GIA certs utilize odd rounding & averaging. As such, the current reported angles are reporting as "EX", or excellent but could vary to Ideal or VG (very good).

Capture.PNG

Did you happen to ask for an ASET or Idealscope image before purchasing? And if so, can you share? I expect we might see a little leakage.

If I look to super ideal vendors, I can quickly find about a dozen or so stones in your size range for less than $4,000 that are H+ color and eye clean SI1+ stones.

Where your stone shines is that VVS clarity. It's nice and when budget allows I'm all for boosting clarity. Unfortunately I think myself, and many others, would prefer a clean SI1 stone and put the money saved towards a better cut and size.

I would be interested to see pictures (and videos, if possible) of the stone once it arrives and you have a chance to inspect it. I will say that if you aren't 100% satisfied with what your eyes tell you, then send it back. Get a refund and let us work some magic for you.

LBeezy34

Rough_Rock
I wish you had asked this question before buying.

The crown angle is too steep @ 36.5. While you were correct in pairing with a shallower 40.6 pavilion, you would want that crown to max out at 35...maybe 35.5. I'm also concerned the 75 LGF's may not play as nicely as 80 LGF's would with your crown/pavilion combo.

But as such, GIA certs utilize odd rounding & averaging. As such, the current reported angles are reporting as "EX", or excellent but could vary to Ideal or VG (very good).

Capture.PNG

Did you happen to ask for an ASET or Idealscope image before purchasing? And if so, can you share? I expect we might see a little leakage.

If I look to super ideal vendors, I can quickly find about a dozen or so stones in your size range for less than $4,000 that are H+ color and eye clean SI1+ stones.

Where your stone shines is that VVS clarity. It's nice and when budget allows I'm all for boosting clarity. Unfortunately I think myself, and many others, would prefer a clean SI1 stone and put the money saved towards a better cut and size.

I would be interested to see pictures (and videos, if possible) of the stone once it arrives and you have a chance to inspect it. I will say that if you aren't 100% satisfied with what your eyes tell you, then send it back. Get a refund and let us work some magic for you.

Exactly the type of feedback i wanted to receive thanks so much!
Was no ASET or Idealscope available, however I really fancied the magnified appearance as it looked quite symmetrical and how "eye" and "mind-clean" it was from the 360 deg rotation from James Allen. It was so much cheaper compared to same spec stones on JA. As long as this thing has great fire and scintillation i'm happy.

LBeezy34

Rough_Rock
Based on this chart my dimensions seem to sitting in EX. This looks promising correct?
To the layman, is there a good chance this will be brilliant and sparkly? I went down in colour to get the other 3 C's better as I hear the H colour is pretty colourless in reality (not against paper white backgrounds).

Capture.PNG

Last edited:

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My biggest concern with your stone is it will have leakage from having too steep of a crown. Leakage will reduce fire.

Technically the cut lands in EX; however, you have to understand GIA uses older 2D technology and then rounds and averages their numbers in a funky way. As such, your crown might go higher to 37, or lower to 36 depending how the stone was actually cut.

While EX stands for excellent, most people don't consider it truly excellent at all. That blue box shows where I anticipate the real cut COULD fall. You could drop to VG unfortunately.

This is not a stone I would have recommended for you, nor advised you to buy without first seeing images. If I were you I would buy an ASET scope and verify what it looks like once the stone is received. I suspect it may have issues and if so I would return for a refund and let us help you locate a new and better stone.

LBeezy34

Rough_Rock
My biggest concern with your stone is it will have leakage from having too steep of a crown. Leakage will reduce fire.

Technically the cut lands in EX; however, you have to understand GIA uses older 2D technology and then rounds and averages their numbers in a funky way. As such, your crown might go higher to 37, or lower to 36 depending how the stone was actually cut.

While EX stands for excellent, most people don't consider it truly excellent at all. That blue box shows where I anticipate the real cut COULD fall. You could drop to VG unfortunately.

This is not a stone I would have recommended for you, nor advised you to buy without first seeing images. If I were you I would buy an ASET scope and verify what it looks like once the stone is received. I suspect it may have issues and if so I would return for a refund and let us help you locate a new and better stone.

Awesome thanks a lot. Will get onto those images and see what we get. Many thanks again!

LBeezy34

Rough_Rock
The rock has arrived and I it looked gorgeous. There was no ASET or Idealscope available. I was able to look through the physical scope and took pics. I personally admire it. IMG_20180822_163905.jpg IMG_20180822_162300.jpg

LBeezy34

Rough_Rock

Here it is! It's amazing in my eyes with plenty of fire and brilliance to my layman eyes. Better than I expected! :D
NOTE: ignore my ugly finger. Haven't proposed yet but needed to see how big it was. IMG_20180905_172358.jpg
IMG_20180905_172453.jpg IMG_20180905_175025.jpg IMG_20180905_175235.jpg IMG_20180905_231328.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20180905_175235.jpg
    IMG_20180905_175235.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 20

krusty900

Rough_Rock
Congrats. Looks good to me. Can I ask what ring/setting that is?

LBeezy34

Rough_Rock
Congrats. Looks good to me. Can I ask what ring/setting that is?

Thanks so much! It's custom designed. Tapered with knife edge. Here are pics of it side on. IMG_20180906_212349.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20180905_170847.jpg
    IMG_20180905_170847.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_20180905_004357.jpg
    IMG_20180905_004357.jpg
    182.4 KB · Views: 20

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats! Glad the stone is pleasing to the eye. It looks great and I'm happy for you.

When are you proposing? We need pics of it on her finger. Good luck!

LBeezy34

Rough_Rock
Congrats! Glad the stone is pleasing to the eye. It looks great and I'm happy for you.

When are you proposing? We need pics of it on her finger. Good luck!

Thanks for your veteran insight earlier on. I guess the 40.6 pavilion angle + 62% depth saved my ass with it having a 36.5 crown angle!

Will post in 2 weeks time (she will definitely say yes) with her pretty little finger. Will definitely look bigger on her little size 4.75!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your stone and setting look beautiful. Your fiancee to be will be super happy with you and with her stunning ring

LBeezy34

Rough_Rock
Your stone and setting look beautiful. Your fiancee to be will be super happy with you and with her stunning ring

Cheers many thanks! Thank goodness I managed to buy a stone that luckily performs and is higher than her 4c expectations at my budget. :mrgreen2:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results