shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions on more facets than the standard

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lady*jane

Rough_Rock
Hi All! I''m in the market for an engagement ring and I need help with selecting the center stone. I haven''t seen any information regarding rounds having more than the standard number of facets. Are they worth it?
Thanks,
-Jane

canadiangrrl

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Jane,

I'm not an expert, but I know that extra facets don't equal extra light return...although vendors of diamonds with extra facets may try to tell you otherwise. So, in my personal opinion, no, they're not worth it. I've seen a few branded diamonds cut with extra facets, and they didn't blow me away. My feeling is that "extra facets" might just equal "marketing ploy."
2.gif

mike04456

Brilliant_Rock

----------------
On 8/21/2003 1:25:43 PM canadiangrrl wrote:

My feeling is that "extra facets" might just equal "marketing ploy."

2.gif

----------------
Sometimes yes, sometimes no. There are a ton of new cuts on the market (I made a list once and gave up when I went over 100), many of which were--to me, at least--clearly little more than attempts to cash in on the trend. Others, however, are genuine efforts to enhance the traditional round brilliant design. Whether any of them have succeeded is an open question, though. Cut science on the RB is still just past its infancy; on these new cuts, no one really knows anything yet.

It really comes down to whether you find one of these new designs attractive or not.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results