shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions on metal color for this spinel

laurakayp

Rough_Rock
Hi again!

I'm on a roll with setting my loose stones. I'm also trying to figure out if I should go with rose gold or white gold for this sparkly, blush spinel. I've always wanted rose gold but, i don't want it to take away from the spinel's color. I've already tried the penny & dime trick to see which one looks best but I'm stuck! please help!

blush_spinel1.jpg

blush_spinel2.jpg

blush_spinel3.jpg

blush_spinel4.jpg

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
1. Rose gold.
2. Yellow gold.

Wouldn't set in white metal as it would make the gem look too cold.

laurakayp

Rough_Rock
Thanks! I was just second guessing it.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Rose gold. I've found that with peachy pink stones white metal can make them look brown.

peachy.jpg

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Rose gold would look great against your skin color too. I vote yea on that. Nice stone!

--- Laurie

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Either yellow or rose gold only. White metal creates too much contrast, bringing out the brown.

laurakayp

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone! Rose gold was my first choice.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know I'm probably too late to the party, but I really like peachy pink stones in 18K yellow gold. I think it enhances the pink a great deal. I find, in my personal experience, that rose gold also tends to make some peachy stones look browner.

Lula

Ideal_Rock
I'd do a mix of 18 kt. yellow and rose gold. Or consider a contrast with green gold.

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
I vote rose gold. My second choice would be white gold. I had a light pink tourmaline in a white gold halo and it didn't look brown at all.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My vote is actually yellow gold. I love rose gold but that stone is pretty rosie - i feel like the yellow gold would bring that out with a contrast, where the rose gold would just meld together.

laurakayp

Rough_Rock
nielseel|1357091862|3345199 said:
My vote is actually yellow gold. I love rose gold but that stone is pretty rosie - i feel like the yellow gold would bring that out with a contrast, where the rose gold would just meld together.

I love yellow gold a lot but I JUST set my mahenge in yellow and want something a little different. I'm planning on "haloing" (new word) it. So I think the white of the diamonds would help it from just disappearing. I'm also considering pink sapphire melee as the halo. That may be a nice little twist. =)

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I have a zircon of very similar color that I actually set in silver, and it looks fine to me. Given the choice I'd prefer rose gold, but I didn't have the funds for it in today's market.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I too think a buttery gold would bring out the soft pink/peach hue and make it look delicately beautiful :))

beau-wy

Rough_Rock
Trade
Yellow gold head for the spinel, rose gold shank.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
beau-wy|1357123592|3345330 said:
Yellow gold head for the spinel, rose gold shank.

Nice compromise, Beau! :bigsmile:

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
18k rose gold. 14k gold is a little too brash, I think, and may over power the delicate colour.

Mama2Two

Rough_Rock
I've been looking for a blush spinel in that exact color! Do you mind letting me know which vendor you purchased your stone from? Also, could you give the stone specs? Thanks so much!

laurakayp

Rough_Rock
@mama2two I got it from gemcal and I think they have another from the same batch!

EmmaJoy

Rough_Rock
I think if you are haloing the stone it could also look really pretty with warm diamonds in 18k white gold, it would be a soft creamy look.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
EmmaJoy|1357867149|3352637 said:
I think if you are haloing the stone it could also look really pretty with warm diamonds in 18k white gold, it would be a soft creamy look.

Do you mean like slightly pinkish stones? If so, then I absolutely agree that it could look lovely. Not so sure with yellowish diamonds, though.

Mama2Two

Rough_Rock
I've actually had my eye on Gemcal for a bit. Right now they have one spinel that is labeled as "blush." Is that what yours was labeled as? Are their stock pics on the website accurate to the in person color? I love the flanders cut that they offer. Do you mind sharing the measurements of your stone, just for comparison's sake? Thanks so much! I want to make sure I make the right choice for my special ring project!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results