shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions on McTeigue & McClelland setting with prong askew?

Artemisia

Rough_Rock
(Starting a new thread from my last since that one was about the diamond.)

I bought a vintage McTeigue & McClelland ring and I love how the details flow into each other and are each so evocative of the fountain that the design is named after: the negative space on the shoulders with the glittering diamond droplet and platinum bead dewdrops, how the jets of water that make up each side of the gallery are charmingly different and asymmetrical, the flow of the prongs from the shoulders. The diamond throws out vibrant rainbow flashes; the stone is beautiful and performs in all lighting conditions, but I especially love the jewel-toned twinkles in low light and while driving at night.

I need to get the ring resized and at least one askew prong adjusted. I was hoping to borrow your more objective eyes and expertise before I do so in case there’s anything else to be done. Please be honest!
  • Besides the askew prong, is there anything else structurally wrong or aesthetically off that should be adjusted or that you'd note?
  • How much babying does this ring need? Can it hold up to daily wear, or is it a special occasion ring?
  • I don't know who Erika Winters uses in production, but her settings are so finely executed that I'd trust her bench implicitly. Is there anyone working at a similar level who would be willing to do work on an outside setting?
Sorry for the dust and grime on the diamond - I've been doing nothing but peer at the setting today!

Thank you so much!
A

IMG_6095.jpeg

IMG_5951.jpeg

IMG_6094.jpeg

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have seen CJD Sako and Gary Roe post about restoration work on their IGs. Both seem to have the level of skill required and I’d just follow their advice.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’d start by contacting Tim McClelland, he may have recommendations (or perhaps even be willing to direct the evaluation and repair himself):

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hard to know what to say or do since I really can't tell from those photos if the ring is torqued or I'm just looking at a little bit of an angle. Maybe a view straight down on the face? I'm sure it's been bashed a bunch of times like most rings. Does not look ridiculously fragile to my eye (like the Edwardian "spiderweb" platinum).

Artemisia

Rough_Rock
I’d start by contacting Tim McClelland, he may have recommendations (or perhaps even be willing to direct the evaluation and repair himself):

Sorry for the late response, but thank you everyone for the suggestions and happy new year! The holidays snuck up on me and I am only now catching up. I contacted Tim McClelland after the suggestion from @yssie, and I'll be dropping the ring off when I'm next in the Boston area for work as they do work on his MC2 designs. In the meantime, they think the stone is seated securely enough for everyday wear.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results