shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions on K RB w/ STG Fluo

diamondsR4eVR

Brilliant_Rock
Hi All!
I’m new to PS and I hope I can get your opinion on this stone. I wanted more bank for the buck and we were very excited with our stone purchase. However, after reading online regarding stones with strong fluorescence
I am super nervous once it’s set on a simple thin platinum band. Will it show up hazy or cloudy? Or maybe even dark and dull in the sunlight. I took the stone to the window and it still looked beautiful. But will it show the same once direct sun hits it? Or different lighting situations? We were so in love with the stone yesterday now my doubts are kicking into high gear.

Attachments

• E668C5F7-FAA1-4F0E-B47B-AB5C8776517E.jpeg
    E668C5F7-FAA1-4F0E-B47B-AB5C8776517E.jpeg
    87.4 KB · Views: 104
  • 2DA8BCE8-36F3-4BEC-8068-8D18DECB3A24.jpeg
    2DA8BCE8-36F3-4BEC-8068-8D18DECB3A24.jpeg
    117.5 KB · Views: 43

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Last edited:

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looking at the angles/measurements:

I ran the results through the HCA tool (under the Tools tab) and it came back with a score of 1.9, which falls within the recommended score range of 0-2 (up to maybe mid-2s in some instances):
Light Return:Very Good
Fire:Very Good
Scintillation:Very Good
Spread:Excellent
HCA Score :1.9 - Excellent - within TIC range

"Looks Like" - Bigger (so will look like a higher carat weight)

"Should sparkle beautifully and looks bigger than usual for its carat weight. Low HCA scores and bigger sized diamonds can appear dark when viewed close up; but these stones can be great for earrings and pendants. Confirm with an Ideal-scope, ASET scope or send to an appraiser."

As the HCA result mentions, the shallow depth might potentially cause issues with excessive obstruction / contrast (dark patterns when viewed) - you should make sure to check it is not overly dark at arms length.

The larger table is outside the PS-recommended range (of 54-57%) and might reduce coloured 'fire' somewhat, instead producing a lot of white light return.

What is the Returns / Exchange policy of the store that you are buying?

Have you used the Search Bar at the top of the forum to shop for similar stones and check the pricing is comparable?

diamondsR4eVR

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you OoohShiny! I’ve purchased from this jeweler before and they are great to deal with. I’m sure they will help if I’m truly unhappy. As I said, the stone looked beautiful in person and even at the window. Also, thank you for using the HCA tool on my stone! Very helpful. I know it’s not a perfect or ideal stone, but after looking at a few stones with better color and no fluorescence this one literally spoke to me and we were both like, that’s the one!

SandyinAnaheim

Brilliant_Rock
Personally, I love stones with fluorescence and lower colors. The most important factor is that YOU love it and it speaks to you. That feeling of THIS IS THE ONE doesn't always appear, so congratulations and I hope you enjoy this beautiful and spready diamond for many years to come!

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
+1 to Sandy - you want a stone that speaks to you, even if it might not accord with any particular set of recommendations! Personal taste is personal taste, so you should buy what you like :))

You could ask if they can take it outside with you to look at under sunlight, to rule out any issues with fluor, but either way, please do post pics! :D

diamondsR4eVR

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you both! I never purchased a K before and a J diamond that I had once had fluor and I didn’t love it. (It was a gift). I also had an I and that was a gorgeous stone, but no fluor. As I stated earlier, I was just second guessing myself with all the reading I did last night.

diamondsR4eVR

Brilliant_Rock
+1 to Sandy - you want a stone that speaks to you, even if it might not accord with any particular set of recommendations! Personal taste is personal taste, so you should buy what you like :))

You could ask if they can take it outside with you to look at under sunlight, to rule out any issues with fluor, but either way, please do post pics! :D

Another quick question for you if you don’t mind: will the stone turn blue or a funky opaque color, say, at a bowling alley or someplace with UV back lighting.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Another quick question for you if you don’t mind: will the stone turn blue or a funky opaque color, say, at a bowling alley or someplace with UV back lighting.

It should certainly go blue in any strong UV environment including direct sunlight, but then well cut diamonds look terrible in direct sun, and poor cuts look better.
Also this stone has no watchouts that I can see from the cert.

diamondsR4eVR

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, it will glow under UV lighting. My K with SBF does and I love it! I have a 2.09 K with SBF.
I would have never considered a K until I saw this stone!

71833798_10156848619224001_4302918753638678528_n.jpg

Your ring is gorgeous! I’m with you: I would have never considered this stone on paper alone. I was adamant about not going below an I color and definitely NF. This stone was surprisingly beautiful in person. I guess my only concern is once I’m wearing it everyday. Will I still love it like I did the day it was purchased due to SBF. It’s so subjective, I know. Plus I had a J stone years ago with VSBF that was a gift and that stone I didn’t like at all. Turned me off with flouo.

diamondsR4eVR

Brilliant_Rock
It should certainly go blue in any strong UV environment including direct sunlight, but then well cut diamonds look terrible in direct sun, and poor cuts look better.
Also this stone has no watchouts that I can see from the cert.

Thank you for taking a look! So no real red flags, I like it. Thanks!

SandyinAnaheim

Brilliant_Rock
It should! It should glow beautifully in those environments. I have rings, bangles and earrings that have MF, SF and VSF stones interspersed with no fluor stones. I can't tell that any of them have fluor until they're exposed to UV.

I went to play laser tag a while back for a nephew's bday party and everyone wanted to know how my earrings were glowing bright blue, LOL. I just LOVE it! It's almost like they're alive as they're reacting to that specific light. It's really unfortunate that my favorite diamond maker, CBI, doesn't sell stones with fluor, as I'd have picked only stones with fluor if I had the option.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your ring is gorgeous! I’m with you: I would have never considered this stone on paper alone. I was adamant about not going below an I color and definitely NF. This stone was surprisingly beautiful in person. I guess my only concern is once I’m wearing it everyday. Will I still love it like I did the day it was purchased due to SBF. It’s so subjective, I know. Plus I had a J stone years ago with VSBF that was a gift and that stone I didn’t like at all. Turned me off with flouo.
It's possible that you had a stone that was negatively affected by fluor - they are out there!

I think it's a cool property, and how a stone changes in different lighting environments is part of the character of diamonds that you get to know with time :))

If I ever get to buy a diamond for myself (a 'guymond', as someone on here coined :D ) I think I will seek out fluor - because it's cool and because the stones are also cheaper right now, so one can get more bang for the buck!

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
It's possible that you had a stone that was negatively affected by fluor - they are out there!

I think it's a cool property, and how a stone changes in different lighting environments is part of the character of diamonds that you get to know with time :))

If I ever get to buy a diamond for myself (a 'guymond', as someone on here coined :D ) I think I will seek out fluor - because it's cool and because the stones are also cheaper right now, so one can get more bang for the buck!

Given that Rapaport has now started pointing out that there is nothing wrong and the discounts wen too far - who knows - we may see GIA finally alert people to the problematic fluoro diamonds and since they have fixed their color grading issues that existed pre 2000, price may go back to premiums?

diamondsR4eVR

Brilliant_Rock
It should! It should glow beautifully in those environments. I have rings, bangles and earrings that have MF, SF and VSF stones interspersed with no fluor stones. I can't tell that any of them have fluor until they're exposed to UV.

I went to play laser tag a while back for a nephew's bday party and everyone wanted to know how my earrings were glowing bright blue, LOL. I just LOVE it! It's almost like they're alive as they're reacting to that specific light. It's really unfortunate that my favorite diamond maker, CBI, doesn't sell stones with fluor, as I'd have picked only stones with fluor if I had the option.

Your stones sound beautiful! Are they giving off a bright vibrant blue hue? How are your stones under direct sun?

SandyinAnaheim

Brilliant_Rock
Your stones sound beautiful! Are they giving off a bright vibrant blue hue? How are your stones under direct sun?
I think they are beautiful! In UV light, my earrings glow a soft brilliant blue. To me, they don't look any different under direct sun than my stones with no fluor.

You might be interested in this video by @Rhino.

Near the beginning of the video, he shows the different grades of fluor. My earrings are closest to Medium Blue Fluor. Although I have a bangle that has one small stone with white fluor. SOOOO COOL, it doesn't look any different in direct sun than the others either.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Given that Rapaport has now started pointing out that there is nothing wrong and the discounts wen too far - who knows - we may see GIA finally alert people to the problematic fluoro diamonds and since they have fixed their color grading issues that existed pre 2000, price may go back to premiums?

I've 'Liked' your post for the quality of information, Garry - not the fact that they might go up in price, seeing as I don't want them to, so that I can get a bargain when I finally scrape some money together... LOL :lol:

EDIT: By sheer coincidence I stumbled upon this listing while searching for a stone for a new member:

Click through to the 'Picture' link:
and if has a cell titled 'Milky' in the table!

It would seem that some wholesalers are doing inspections for negative fluor impacts themselves??

Last edited:

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
It would seem that some wholesalers are doing inspections for negative fluor impacts themselves??
Here is an example of a diamond downgraded by a manufacturer from Excellent to Good.
The cause is a type of inclusion not noted or used in grading by GIA.
1575854480218.png

AV_

Ideal_Rock

diamondsR4eVR

Brilliant_Rock
Hi All!
I’m new to PS and I hope I can get your opinion on this stone. I wanted more bank for the buck and we were very excited with our stone purchase. However, after reading online regarding stones with strong fluorescence
I am super nervous once it’s set on a simple thin platinum band. Will it show up hazy or cloudy? Or maybe even dark and dull in the sunlight. I took the stone to the window and it still looked beautiful. But will it show the same once direct sun hits it? Or different lighting situations? We were so in love with the stone yesterday now my doubts are kicking into high gear.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this stone before “she” comes home.

diamondsR4eVR

Brilliant_Rock

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had a strong blue diamond once and just ordered a cheap UV pen light from Amazon and it was fine. Honestly, I never would have known it had strong blue fl had I not seen the report. It was only when I used the UV light that I could see it.

diamondsR4eVR

Brilliant_Rock
I had a strong blue diamond once and just ordered a cheap UV pen light from Amazon and it was fine. Honestly, I never would have known it had strong blue fl had I not seen the report. It was only when I used the UV light that I could see it.
Did you get rid of the stone? If so, did you get anything for it, if sold?

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
If a Fluorescent diamond suffers from dullness- it will be incredibly easy to spot. SO, if you've looked and didn't notice an obvious milkiness, then there's nothing to worry about.
On the other end- that is, will it turn cool colors, or whiten in daylight....not all fl stones do.

diamondsR4eVR

Brilliant_Rock
If a Fluorescent diamond suffers from dullness- it will be incredibly easy to spot. SO, if you've looked and didn't notice an obvious milkiness, then there's nothing to worry about.
On the other end- that is, will it turn cool colors, or whiten in daylight....not all fl stones do.
Thank you for responding! I was hoping you would look at the stone and weigh in.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
My pleasure!!
But please keep in mind, I can't make any assessments from a pic- but you're in a perfect position to do so in real life!!

diamondsR4eVR

Brilliant_Rock
The stone will be set in a plain platinum setting like the one pictured below. The stone below was the one I was going to pick until I saw the K with SF. I asked for dainty 4 claws to blend into the diamond. I can also bring the ring home and check it out in real life situations. If I’m not happy I can return it and we will start from square one.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results