shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions on James Allen Emerald cut?

crashsle

Rough_Rock
Would anybody mind giving me some feedback on an Emerald cut that I purchased a couple of days ago and am waiting to receive? Starting to second guess myself now!

This is the stone: https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/3.44-carat-j-color-vs1-clarity-sku-8485215
And the IGI report: https://www.igi.org/reports/verify-your-report?r=LG11616019

I know it's not perfect in terms of color and has a couple of small inclusions, but I'm also trying to be realistic in terms of what will actually be seen. It's going to be gypsy set into a pretty chunky yellow gold band similar to the pictures I've attached below but more likely the first image. (I'm totally aware that it's not everybody's cup of tea and a bit out of the Pricescope norm of very elegant settings, but I can't help loving it! :kiss2:)

I'm just wanting to make sure that for my specific purposes this stone should work out pretty well and wasn't a bad deal for the $8k range. I only just got a copy of the IGI report and am not sure what to make about it not saying if it was CVD or HPHT created (does this make a big difference?), and the mention of blue nuance is making me a little uneasy. I'm hoping if nothing else it would add some contrast to the 18k gold.

Thanks so much in Advance!!

Screen Shot 2020-02-08 at 11.58.32 PM.jpeg Screen Shot 2020-02-08 at 11.59.39 PM.jpeg

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not an expert... but personally speaking, I like it. :)

Interesting facet patterning and I think it performs well at pretty much all angles - the only touch of leakage seems to be at the bottom triangles of the shorter sides, which seems pretty common in ECs, and it doesn't look anywhere near a J to my eyes. It almost looks a touch blue - which I know Ada Diamonds on here has said they don't like, but I think is pretty cool :) You'll have to assess it when it arrives to see what the colour looks like in a range of lighting environments!

I personally would have thought that inclusion was more a GIA VS2 than a VS1, but then it's a different grading lab and inclusions can be larger in larger stones for an equivalent clarity grade (if I understand things correctly).

You've got the Returns period to look at it thoroughly so make sure you do so! It's a good size 8-) and should look awesome!

crashsle

Rough_Rock
Not an expert... but personally speaking, I like it. :)

Interesting facet patterning and I think it performs well at pretty much all angles - the only touch of leakage seems to be at the bottom triangles of the shorter sides, which seems pretty common in ECs, and it doesn't look anywhere near a J to my eyes. It almost looks a touch blue - which I know Ada Diamonds on here has said they don't like, but I think is pretty cool :) You'll have to assess it when it arrives to see what the colour looks like in a range of lighting environments!

I personally would have thought that inclusion was more a GIA VS2 than a VS1, but then it's a different grading lab and inclusions can be larger in larger stones for an equivalent clarity grade (if I understand things correctly).

You've got the Returns period to look at it thoroughly so make sure you do so! It's a good size 8-) and should look awesome!

Thanks for taking the time to have a look! I agree, I liked the patterning and felt that it looked good at almost all angles without reading too yellow for a J.

I wasn't questioning it until I saw the report, and now I can't unsee the words blue nuance and am getting paranoid that the stone will be bright blue :oops2:

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for taking the time to have a look! I agree, I liked the patterning and felt that it looked good at almost all angles without reading too yellow for a J.

I wasn't questioning it until I saw the report, and now I can't unsee the words blue nuance and am getting paranoid that the stone will be bright blue :oops2:

You realise how expensive naturally blue diamonds are? ;-) :D

You've ordered it, it's on its way - don't panic! Use the Returns period to assess it and, if it's not for you, you can return it and look for another option :))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results