shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions on GIA EX/EX. 1.02 H/VS1

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

skomarla

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone.

I have been lurking on this board for the past few months learning from the experts. For that I thank you. Pricescope is a great website and i will be sure to recommend it to all my friends who tell me they are looking for a diamond.
2.gif

Now to the good stuff. I was out and about looking at stones in "discount" type stores today, and I came across this particular one. I am looking for a very best diamond that I can comfortably afford for my fiancee to be.. (at least I hope she will say yes). I don''t care to spend the extras for a brand name stone (ie Tiffany''s)

So here are the details!
GIA Round Brilliant
6.50-6.54x3.98
1.02 ct
H/VS1
Depth - 61.0%
Table - 57%
Girdle-thin to meduim, faceted
Culet - None
Polish - Excellent
Symmetry - Excellent
Flr-None

I asked for angles for crown and pavilion, which the kind gentleman did not have. he assured me that since this was a GIA-EX/EX, that it most likely will be ideal proportions. Now, having educated myself on this website, and reading the posts here, I dismissed his comments thinking he was being pushy.

However, he pulled out the H&A viewer, and I took a look.. there they were, the hearts, and then he flipped it over, and I saw the arrows.

now i just HAD to ask about the price.. He quoted me 5400. I just couldn''t pass it up.

I figured i''d share this, and see if anyone thinks i made a bad move. I was very happy with the look of the diamond. I really wish I could get the angles, since I''m curious as to what the HCA would say.

So my questions..

What does it cost to get a sarin report? I will have the combination of the diamond and ring appraised once I pick it up, so I''ll have an expert''s opinion then.

If a GIA-EX/EX exhibits hearts and arrows to an untrained eye, would it be safe to say that it is an "ideal" cut, and that it will grade well on the HCA?

I suppose it is too little too late, since I have put a deposit down and it is being set as we speak, but i''m very curios as to the opinion of the many here.

Thanks very much.

skomarla

Rough_Rock
by the way, the place I bought this came recommened by my brother-in-law's brother since he purschased a diamond also. It is an established place, but diamonds are not their big ticket item, though they are the biggest in their general area.

just to note to establish the trust-worthy ness of the place

DiamondExpert

Brilliant_Rock
The stone may well be cut to within the AGS-defined IDEAL proportions...you won't know until you get a Sarin analysis done, but a Hearts & Arrows pattern (assuming it is a true H&A pattern as seen not by an intrained eye, but by an experienced eye) does not guarantee you an IDEAL cut...same for the performance on the HCA. (Conversely, an IDEAL cut does not guarantee you an H&A stone)

You might be OK, but you can't check it out now if it's set...Sarins are done on loose stones.

If you love the stone, don't worry about it too much...the price seems in line.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results