shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions on Emeralds?

t86

Shiny_Rock
Yes, 14 day return policy with no restocking fee!

t86

Shiny_Rock
I received the emerald!

My thoughts:
1. It’s actually more transparent than I thought it would be. The inclusions are not distracting to me.

2. I can’t tell the color. It constantly changes depending on lighting. It looks a little light in bright indirect sunlight, but more green and more vivid under warm LED indoor lights, and very glowy overall. It’s certainly not the ideal duck neck green, but it’s a pretty medium green with blue undertones. I think the lighter color accounts for the price.

3. It looks smaller than I expected, but at 12.3x8.2, I’m assuming it will look large when set.

4. I can see a tiny inclusion/chip on the right side, but this doesn’t bother me. I’m assuming it won’t affect durability or setting. Am I wrong?

5. It’s impossible to photograph! It looks blue in my photos under artificial light,but I swear it’s green!

6. It’s very pretty in real life and I’m leaning towards keeping it.

Here are a bunch of pix I took.

Last edited:

t86

Shiny_Rock
I also popped by Gems NY yesterday to see some more loose stones. Here’s my favorite one that I saw in person. In person, it looked eye clean and had a very pretty deep green color. It had that velvety sheen around the edges, but looked dark in the middle. It’s also much more expensive than the emerald from JR—9,000 as opposed to 5,500 that I paid for the JR stone. Which do you like better?

Here are pics of the Gems NY stone and a link:
08631E28-8EA6-451D-8F7D-A5F3E9DFBC01.jpeg 9253649B-42A3-4E79-8D2E-7C53FC0EDBC8.jpeg

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the one you picked was the best choice. And if it doesn't impress you IRL then you can return

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I replied right as you posted!!! I LOVE the one you chose. Your pics are great. I dont like the Gemsny one at all, it looks way too dark for me.

voce

Ideal_Rock
I like the one that you got. The GemsNY one might have slightly better color, but overall is not as nice. It does not look glowy, and the dark window doesn't help, so I think you made the right choice in not paying a hefty price premium on that stone. Congrats and enjoy!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The Gemsny is Zambian. It doesn’t have the velvety richness of Columbian material IMO. They’re flatter in appearance and this particular one looks murky too. I love the other one. It’s not duck neck, but still lovely. I also prefer the proportions on that stone. No discernible window either.

t86

Shiny_Rock
Thank you all so, so much for being so generous with your time and advice! I feel much better making jewelry purchases thanks to this community!

Last two questions:

1. Should I be concerned about the small chip/surface inclusion on the right? It’s visible here

2. I’m dropping it off at AGL tomorrow to find out treatment. Is a Prestige ID report sufficient ($160) or should I pay extra for the Prestige Origin Report ($390) to make sure it’s Colombian? It’s not an investment grade emerald, and I’m not planning on selling, but I guess you never know, and I’m fine with paying extra if it’s the smart thing to do.
92701333-8D3F-4368-8510-B6C59940406E.jpeg

Reactions: AV_

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you all so, so much for being so generous with your time and advice! I feel much better making jewelry purchases thanks to this community!

Last two questions:

1. Should I be concerned about the small chip/surface inclusion on the right? It’s visible here

2. I’m dropping it off at AGL tomorrow to find out treatment. Is a Prestige ID report sufficient ($160) or should I pay extra for the Prestige Origin Report ($390) to make sure it’s Colombian? It’s not an investment grade emerald, and I’m not planning on selling, but I guess you never know, and I’m fine with paying extra if it’s the smart thing to do.
92701333-8D3F-4368-8510-B6C59940406E.jpeg

I have a chip in my emerald in the same place. It might be a cause for concern if you’re setting it. I would definitely use a highly skilled jeweler and tell them about it. Do you see any surface fractures anywhere else?

As far as origin, I would probably get it noted in there as there are African stones that look Columbian. You can also have AGL contact you and let you know the treatment amount and filler type before you commit to upgrading to origin, as you may want to return the gem if it comes up with unacceptable results. They can call you beforehand.

t86

Shiny_Rock
The saga continues!

I hope that not everyone is sick of me yet. If yes, apologies!

Today, on my way to AGL, I decided to stop by ID Jewelry and ask Yekutial about setting the emerald and to confirm that the tiny chip wouldn't be an issue in setting the stone, noting that if it would be an issue, I was still within the return window. (ID Jewelry is 1 min. away from AGL).

Yekutial swore that his dad could procure a better stone for my budget. Three hours later, I received a call from Israel saying he had three stones for me to look at. I hopped over there, and I ended up buying another emerald! The color of this one was much deeper and more vivid than my prior stone. Although I loved the sheen/glow and dimensions of my prior stone, the color of this one was just mesmerizing. The new stone is the less elongated one.

What do you guys think? I think I might have to switch over to the ID Jewelry one!

IMG-0655.jpg IMG-0653.jpg
IMG-0677.jpg
IMG-0673.jpg

t86

Shiny_Rock
Specs on the ID jewelry stone--4.35 carats, Colombian, 11.16X8.83 mm, oiled but extent and type of treatment unknown. Exact same price! :lol:

lmyracle

Shiny_Rock
Premium
The first picture it looks great but then goes sorta flat in the other photo, where your original one glows more. I don't know enough to comment but I prefer the glowy emeralds....but that color in the first pic of the new one you found is mesmerizing as you say! All of these prices are far better than what my local jeweler was quoting me from his source. Far better!

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The new one looks like it has a massive window which looks like a dark splotch in the first and second photos. In the third photo, it looks flat & dead.

I would stick with the elongated one, but are you really sold on it? It doesn't seem like you are given that you're still looking at other emeralds.

DauphineMucha

Shiny_Rock
Have you louped both emeralds to check if there are any surface reached inclusions?

IMHO, buy what you like best and make sure the certificate clearly states what’s in the treatments. I’ve heard green dye could be used for color improvement.

Last edited:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Photos are really difficult with emeralds, but there is no doubt the new stone has a huge window. The newer stone must have such great color to your eyes irl that you can overlook it.

t86

Shiny_Rock
Hmm, I thought a window meant transparent? This is more extinction, no? A dark area instead of being clear?

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In this photo it looks like you can see through the center of the emerald to the ring holder underneath:
D8B9A975-1831-4EC9-96E9-2EC027E0C314.jpeg

and in this photo, that window becomes dark because there’s no gap between the emerald and your finger:
3F2A652B-2D84-4ED6-A9B4-09428400C1E9.png

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have been following this thread and receiving a bit of an education on emeralds. (I bought some very small ones in Colombia when I was there in 1992, but all I looked for was inclusions.)

I have to say that the stone from Israel, although perhaps not as good a stone, appeals to me. Its shape and color just please me. But, as I said, I know nothing about emeralds.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
I’ll go with what you prefer irl since gems are so hard to photograph but will suggest to put an aluminum foil or metal plate/item underneath to simulate a cup/plate (?) and see if the window can be minimized. Window may not bother you now but it may down the road so if a metal plate works then all the better.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would probably stay with the 4.04 even though it is a tad lighter than my usual preference. Although the new one has better colour, the middle just looks either cloudy or dead.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would probably stay with the 4.04 even though it is a tad lighter than my usual preference. Although the new one has better colour, the middle just looks either cloudy or dead.

chrono-

You and I both know a bit about and own red stones. I know I would not want to buy a "flawed" red stone, so I understand your reservations about an emerald that has a problem area. But do you recommend a stone with color that is less desirable (as stated by both you and me) over the "flawed" one? Perhaps the buyer should simply hold out until she can get both color and a stone with fewer imperfections? There are many, many emeralds out in the big world. But sometimes one has to search a long time for the perfect stone.

Deb :wavey:

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The newer stone DOES have nice color and clarity. But I think the window would bug me plus I just like the proportions of the other stone better. That said you do get the 2nd stone there may be settings like a modified buttercup that will minimize the window.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A large window is too flawed for me, unfortunately.

t86

Shiny_Rock
Hi everyone,

Thanks so much for all of your input. Sorry for the delay--I've been "in a hell of my own making," as my husband so kindly put it, trying to decide between the two.

I finally decided to keep the 4.04 carat elongated stone from JR. I dropped it off at AGL this morning, and returned the other stone to ID Jewelry.

There were a few reasons:

1. While the color of the ID Jewelry stone was amazing, it was, as you noted, dark in the middle. I don't know if it was because of a window. I tried to read text through the stone and couldn't, which makes me think there wasn't a window (although I'm not an expert in such things). I think the darkness could be because there's a cloud or haze of inclusions in the stone that prevent light from going through and make it less transparent. When I hold the emerald up to a window or a light, I can't even really make out the facets on the pavilion because of the inclusions. I've included a pic in indirect light that better shows the haze. It's definitely less transparent than the other stone.

2. The fact that I couldn't see the facets on the pavilion was a bummer. The whole reason I wanted an emerald cut was to see the lovely steps.

3. While it shines in sunlight (and under jewelry lights), in regular artificial or dim light, it doesn't glow. I'll probably be wearing it the majority of the time in dim and artificial light.

4. I like the dimensions of the other one better.

Anyways, I hope I made the right decision! Ii'll include some more pics of the ID Jewelry emerald in different light conditions so you can see how it reacted. No matter what, though, I couldn't get the middle to light up.

t86

Shiny_Rock
IMG-0693.jpg IMG-0691.jpg IMG-0688.jpg IMG-0699.jpg IMG-0696.jpg

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yikes, in that last pic the inclusions look more like a jungle than a garden!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The stone you returned definitely had a large window, and this photograph, which I blew up, proves it. You shouldn’t see the obvious ring holder through it. In the end, it’s your decision, so I’m glad you made one. C14C3829-9336-4329-B54B-994EF6ECED25.jpeg

t86

Shiny_Rock
Just heard from AGL with a verbal--it's minor, modern treatment. So it's resin but apparently more stable than traditional oil treatments. The stability is good to excellent, and Maria from AGL told me that the emerald should look good for years to come without needing reoiling. She said there wouldn't be any durability or issues with setting it that she could forsee. Although I know AGL doesn't do pricing, she said that the price seemed very fair to her for a four-carat stone with minor treatment.

Good news!

Last edited:

t86

Shiny_Rock
Also, FYI--a verbal through AGL where they tell you treatment type and amount is only $120. I decided to go with the full-blown origin report ($390).

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results