shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions on emerald

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
Hi all. I have been a bit quiet these days given how crazy work has been and have been saving not splurging on jewellery as usual (although I do have a few little treasures to show off soon!)

But I got caught unawares yesterday in a shop and am highly tempted by something.

I’ve got a fair few emeralds, a few Colombian and a Zambian. But this is something very different to what I have.

It’s Russian, minor oil and the most unusual colour and cut for an emerald.

It’s almost a forest green, very clean (as emeralds go) although there is a an eye visible inclusion at the bottom end low in the stone. But it’s not evident or detracting.

In daylight this is just so gemmy. It doesn’t that that typical emerald “glow” at all - it’s more crystalline. And the colour isn’t usual emerald green. But something about it has really caught my attention.

It’s a little under 4ct.

What do you guys think? Will try and send better pics - these are video stills. IMG_2502.jpeg IMG_2501.jpeg IMG_2500.jpeg

musicloveranthony

Brilliant_Rock
It’s Russian, minor oil and the most unusual colour and cut for an emerald.

It’s almost a forest green, very clean (as emeralds go) although there is a an eye visible inclusion at the bottom end low in the stone. But it’s not evident or detracting.

In daylight this is just so gemmy. It doesn’t that that typical emerald “glow” at all - it’s more crystalline. And the colour isn’t usual emerald green. But something about it has really caught my attention.

That's a really beautiful stone. Does it have a cert? I've never seen an emerald of that color/tone. It's SO blue leaning that I must admit it has me dubious

musicloveranthony

Brilliant_Rock
I did find this from GIA that shows a very blue leaning Russian emerald

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
Yes it’s certified. And honestly it’s not cheap. Hence the prevarication. I just really like the colour so much. It IS very bluish and that’s what tempts me. I also said “are you SURE this is an emerald?!”

Mrsz1ppy

Brilliant_Rock
It’s a pretty special specimen of Emerald. I’d be seriously tempted.

musicloveranthony

Brilliant_Rock
Yes it’s certified. And honestly it’s not cheap. Hence the prevarication. I just really like the colour so much. It IS very bluish and that’s what tempts me. I also said “are you SURE this is an emerald?!”

OH my gosh wow... I am absolutely not going to be a good influence here because I have nothing but purchase encouragement to offer :evil2:

RRfromR

Brilliant_Rock
Gorgeous

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
It is beautiful and crystalline, almost like a top demantoid and sapphire had a baby. Is there any way to see it in motion? I'd like very much to see it in motion.:love:

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
I would personally get tired of people asking what stone it was and then trying to convince me it wasn’t an emerald. Then there’s Putin and the war and politics. It’s also giving Taco Bell Teal from the 1990s.

I did my best. LOL

All good points. But I suspect the deciding factor will be what bonus I get off the back of my year end appraisal!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I thought it was a Tourmaline rather than an Emerald as it is so clean/clear!

DK :kiss2:

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great clarity, seemingly. It looks almost like it has some gray and is less saturated than most. I am getting more tourmaline than emerald vibes. It's a beautiful stone and a beautiful piece but it would not tempt me that strongly and at the price-point I am envisioning.

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
I will get some daylight shots and a video when I see it again on Thursday. It’s at its best outside in the sunshine - again not like my other emeralds which glow best at night.

I also thought it was tourmaline under artificial lighting. It’s c $20k.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

It is too grey and not sufficiently vivid for my liking.

I presume the setting is platinum.

How about the quality and size of the trillion sides please?

DK :))

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
I just think I could do a lot of projects with the money for one ring… but… I do like how unusual it is.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just think I could do a lot of projects with the money for one ring… but… I do like how unusual it is.

Concur with a lot of money being tied up with one ring, however, if it sings to you, then you would only kick yourself later if you let it slip through your fingers now.

"Unusual" in what way please?

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
I will get some daylight shots and a video when I see it again on Thursday. It’s at its best outside in the sunshine - again not like my other emeralds which glow best at night.

This changes things, and I will caution, if it looks tourmaline to your eye at any point- it is not something that such a premium should be paid for. Buy a fantastic tourmaline and save yourself 10-15k.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This changes things, and I will caution, if it looks tourmaline to your eye at any point- it is not something that such a premium should be paid for. Buy a fantastic tourmaline and save yourself 10-15k.

Perhaps it is a mind-clean issue, in that a Tourmaline, no matter how gorgeous the colour, can never replace an Emerald? :confused:

I know it may not be a fair comparison as it is not strictly like for like, however, the whopper of a blue-green Tourmaline rough currently waiting to be cut by Jeff W into an emerald cut in 20 to 30ct region only cost me 11.5k USD!

Having purchased that rough, and knowing it will be a big and gorgeous emerald cut Tourmaline, I still had this itch/desire for a sizable earth-mined/natural Emerald, and jumped to the chance to put a deposit down to secure one of the bigger roughs when Jeff W offered them in his latest Gem Scoop!

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Perhaps it is a mind-clean issue, in that a Tourmaline, no matter how gorgeous the colour, can never replace an Emerald? :confused:

I know it may not be a fair comparison as it is not strictly like for like, however, the whopper of a blue-green Tourmaline rough currently waiting to be cut by Jeff W into an emerald cut in 20 to 30ct region only cost me 11.5k USD!

Having purchased that rough, and knowing it will be a big and gorgeous emerald cut Tourmaline, I still had this itch/desire for a sizable earth-mined/natural Emerald, and jumped to the chance to put a deposit down to secure one of the bigger roughs when Jeff W offered them in his latest Gem Scoop!

I totally understand that and it reinforces what I also believe, which is to never pay a premium for a stone that lacks the aspects that would denote the legitimacy of said premium unless fully cognizant of this mitigating circumstance.

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
I will have to photograph it and post. When you see it it’s definitely NOT tourmaline (I’ve got a lot of it), but it’s hard to believe it’s really emerald because of the clarity, cut and colour.

I’m probably leaning towards passing just because I could complete so many projects with that money.

But I will definitely take some more shots and a video for you all because it’s interesting.

CMN

Brilliant_Rock
I love it. Hand shots if you can get any would be interesting as well.

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
So…. I DIDN’T buy this emerald in the end, after visiting with it a few more times. But not because it wasn’t awesome. Because I fell in love with something else emerald-y.

It also had the benefit of being 15% of the price of this baby.

And here is the final purchase to scratch my emerald itch (and match with my dragonfly brooch).

IMG_2711.jpeg IMG_2712.jpeg IMG_2713.jpeg IMG_2714.jpeg IMG_2720.jpeg

And here is the dragonfly which it just matches perfectly.

IMG_1168.jpeg

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
I now need a white gold baguette cut eternity band…..

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results