shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions on diamond upgrade - Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kath1969

Rough_Rock
I know very little about diamonds, but I really enjoy reading the feedback posts and the pictures make my heart beat a little faster! Wow, if money were no object...

I posted once before in August 2008 regarding possibly upgrading my diamond. I changed my setting last year from a yellow gold to 18K white gold. Setting is center diamond, then 2 smaller (.2 each) on each side next to the diamond and then bead set (hope that''s the correct term) diamonds running down the sides. The .2 diamonds appear very white. My current center stone is an EGL-LA certified 1.07 I SI1 (round). I have no idea on the cut quality (not specified on the little card I received 11 yrs ago).

Okay, cut to the chase. I have been working through the same jeweler who sold my husband and I the original e-ring 11 yrs ago. Here''s a diamond he sent me:

GIA certified round brilliant
1.15 G SI1
Cut Grade: Very Good
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Depth 60.7
Table 58
Crown 33
Pavilion 41
Girdle very thin to slightly thick

Another option which will cost $700 more:

1.13 G VS2
Cut: Excellent
Polish: Very Good
Depth 60.7
Table 58
Crown 34
Pavilion 41
Girdle medium

I used the Holloway Cut Advisor and it appeared the first stone performed just slightly better. I am looking for a better color and cut in a diamond. I love the sparkle and the icy-ness. My current stone only gives me that in retail jewelry stores and elevators.

Thank you very much!
35.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/10/2009 10:16:32 AM
Author:kath1969
I know very little about diamonds, but I really enjoy reading the feedback posts and the pictures make my heart beat a little faster! Wow, if money were no object...

I posted once before in August 2008 regarding possibly upgrading my diamond. I changed my setting last year from a yellow gold to 18K white gold. Setting is center diamond, then 2 smaller (.2 each) on each side next to the diamond and then bead set (hope that''s the correct term) diamonds running down the sides. The .2 diamonds appear very white. My current center stone is an EGL-LA certified 1.07 I SI1 (round). I have no idea on the cut quality (not specified on the little card I received 11 yrs ago).

Okay, cut to the chase. I have been working through the same jeweler who sold my husband and I the original e-ring 11 yrs ago. Here''s a diamond he sent me:

1.15 G SI1
Cut Grade: Very Good
Polish: Excellent
Depth 60.7
Table 58
Crown 33
Pavilion 41
Girdle very thin to slightly thick

Another option which will cost $700 more:

1.13 G VS2
Cut: Excellent
Polish: Very Good
Depth 60.7
Table 58
Crown 34
Pavilion 41
Girdle medium

I used the Holloway Cut Advisor and it appeared the first stone performed just slightly better. I am looking for a better color and cut in a diamond. I love the sparkle and the icy-ness. My current stone only gives me that in retail jewelry stores and elevators.

Thank you very much!
35.gif
Welcome!

Can you post the diameter measurements for each diamond please? The HCA isn''t used for selection but elimination, so a lower score isn''t better than a higher one. Out of the two diamonds listed, personally I prefer the second.

kath1969

Rough_Rock
Sorry! Here you go

G SI1 is 6.78 - 6.79 x 4.11

G VS2 is 6.78 - 6.77 x 4.10

kath1969

Rough_Rock
I''m getting a bit nervous. Are these not very good contenders?

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Both numbers are good on the HCA, HCA is only meant as a rejection tool.

Both have similar spread but the girdle variation of the first stone is of some concern, which is why it received a VG cut grade by GIA. I guess we would need an IS image to decide which one is better. Does your jeweler has the scope? If not, maybe you can buy one? Relatively cheap at around $25.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/10/2009 4:04:33 PM
Author: kath1969
I''m getting a bit nervous. Are these not very good contenders?
No they are fine, GIA will always give a VG cut grade to a diamond with a very thin girdle, if you have a trusted vendor to inspect this then it might not be a problem. However from the info we have I still prefer the second diamond.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results