shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions on diamond stats/HCA score...

matt_k

Shiny_Rock
You REALLY seem to know your stuff about Diamonds, @sledge. I'm impressed! Do you think I could send you a private email with a couple of links to some diamonds I'm looking at? I'd love to pick your brain without adding extra scrutiny on these diamonds out in the open in case I decide to on nab one of 'em. I know James Allen has a generous return policy, so if I get good feedback I can pull the trigger on one of them to look it over with my ideal scope and asset scope. And that would buy me time to see if I get any decent bites on selling my old diamond via private sale... AND I would still have time to return the diamond for a refund If i don't get good offers, or I change my mind.

matt_k

Shiny_Rock
Re: using a Halo on current stone: that was very good idvice. But I am just not a fan of Halo settings, unfortunately. I prefer the sleek and modern look of a bezel set solitaire ring.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for the kind words.

The forum does not have a private messaging system, nor allow us to post up email addresses. I am also on Loupe Troop should you need an alternate way to contact me, and I will be glad to help where possible.

I have two final thoughts on the matter.

1. Not that you are seeking any advice, but you mentioned your engagement ended and there are no wedding bells anywhere in your future. I've had quite a few casual and long term relationships prior to meeting my wife. The ones that hurt the most were the ones I was invested in. I like to go 100mph all the time, but the harsh reality is I had to take time for myself a few times and get my head straight.

Maybe you would benefit from the same? Push this to the side and re-visit the upgrade later when your head is clear and funds are more flexible.

Besides, what you like now may not even be what the future Mrs likes. For instance, my wife would probably be sporting a 2+ carat OEC on a solitaire setting if I hadn't listened to her. Instead she has just under a 1 carat BGD Blue in a curvy e-ring I never knew existed, thought I would like and certainly didn't think I would design for her. But here we are, lol.

2. One of the benefits of this forum is not only the interactions with each other, but the data/advice that many lurkers gain from our conversations we have in an open community. That said, I also understand and respect not everyone feels comfortable posting on forums, etc.

Let me know if I can do more to help you. :cool2:

matt_k

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for the kind words.

The forum does not have a private messaging system, nor allow us to post up email addresses. I am also on Loupe Troop should you need an alternate way to contact me, and I will be glad to help where possible.

I have two final thoughts on the matter.

1. Not that you are seeking any advice, but you mentioned your engagement ended and there are no wedding bells anywhere in your future. I've had quite a few casual and long term relationships prior to meeting my wife. The ones that hurt the most were the ones I was invested in. I like to go 100mph all the time, but the harsh reality is I had to take time for myself a few times and get my head straight.

Maybe you would benefit from the same? Push this to the side and re-visit the upgrade later when your head is clear and funds are more flexible.

Besides, what you like now may not even be what the future Mrs likes. For instance, my wife would probably be sporting a 2+ carat OEC on a solitaire setting if I hadn't listened to her. Instead she has just under a 1 carat BGD Blue in a curvy e-ring I never knew existed, thought I would like and certainly didn't think I would design for her. But here we are, lol.

2. One of the benefits of this forum is not only the interactions with each other, but the data/advice that many lurkers gain from our conversations we have in an open community. That said, I also understand and respect not everyone feels comfortable posting on forums, etc.

Let me know if I can do more to help you. :cool2:

THIS thread is no longer necessary, gang. My head is still spinning right now. Holy crap. when I went to get my jewelry out earlier today to clean it in preparation for a possible sale and/or upgrade inspection--- it was gone!!!! I've kept it stored in my dresser for the last good while (I have retained sole possession of the jewelry ever since my engagement was tails-up almost 2 years ago), and I had not looked at it in probably at least 6 months. Maybe longer( the older I get, the more elastic time seems to be). Like I mentioned before, it is truly beautiful diamond, but also a painful reminder of a relationship that went horribly south. So it's actually pretty understandable that I didn't take it out to look at it very often( nor the accompanying 7 stone Platinum wedding band). I'm POSITIVE I stored it in my dresser, however. but even so, I still turned my condo upside down looking for it. It looks like a cyclone hit it--- I was frantic. Ugh! I'm kind of in shock. This is so surreal.

Even though I've definitely been wanting to upgrade the old stone to a bigger size for the future, AND to be done with the old diamond as far as the painful memories go.... THIS is a very traumatic ( and unexpected) curveball. My head is literally spinning. You mentioned going fast once upon a time before finding your companion, sledge. and I can certainly relate. Historically speaking, I move fast as well(and I probably get emotionally invested too soon, honestly). And I was in denial for a good long stretch after buy engagement ended. For most of the first year I still held on to the hope that we would get back together. And THEN instead of taking time for myself to properly grieve and reflect, I just tamped it down and moved forward--- and decided NOT to get serious about anyone, ever. Which led to a handful of ill-advised(and highly inebriated) one night stands, of course. Can't even remember names. But NOW I'm guessing one of them absconded with my jewelry on one of those nights( it must have been a pretty good while ago, however, because I've been pretty much straight-up celibate for MONTHS ).

no matter what, I still want to thank everybody on this thread for being so open and helpful. You are all very warm and generous, and I've been sincerely impressed with your diamond knowledge, AND your passion (and I LOVE all the informative threads... and the beautiful pictures of all the individual, personalized rings).

SouthernElle

Shiny_Rock
A few things, from a woman’s perspective and also generally speaking.

1. I am very sorry about your ring. That is a terrible discovery. I hope it was insured.

2. I’m also so sorry about your painful breakup, the grief process can be overwhelming.

3. You said that wedding bells weren’t in your future. I’m assuming then that you are not with the person you plan on proposing to? If not, it is slightly strange to buy a ring for a woman you haven’t met...especially when you are searching for such a specific type of diamond. I honestly was surprised that a guy had such specific taste in a ring he won’t be wearing. What if your girlfriend doesn’t like strong fluorescence in diamonds? What if she prefers a 1 carat stone or a halo or a pear shaped diamond? What if she doesn’t even like diamonds? Whenever the day comes that you love a woman enough to propose, please please ask her what her idea of the perfect ring is and buy THAT ring (within reason and budget) for her. Even if you don’t like it. Or think it’s not the right combination of factors to get the most bang for your buck. Do not force your expectations on her, because she will think of you every time she looks at that ring, and if what she feels is disappointment, that’s not good for anyone.

I’m not trying to be unkind, you seem very caring but just wanted to give you a woman‘s and wife’s (12 years) perspective. Good luck and keep moving forward. <3

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Check your insurance small print - hopefully you will be covered for 'mysterious loss'.

Polabowla

Brilliant_Rock

1. I am very sorry about your ring. That is a terrible discovery. I hope it was insured.

2. I’m also so sorry about your painful breakup, the grief process can be overwhelming.

3. You said that wedding bells weren’t in your future. I’m assuming then that you are not with the person you plan on proposing to? If not, it is slightly strange to buy a ring for a woman you haven’t met...especially when you are searching for such a specific type of diamond. I honestly was surprised that a guy had such specific taste in a ring he won’t be wearing. What if your girlfriend doesn’t like strong fluorescence in diamonds? What if she prefers a 1 carat stone or a halo or a pear shaped diamond? What if she doesn’t even like diamonds? Whenever the day comes that you love a woman enough to propose, please please ask her what her idea of the perfect ring is and buy THAT ring (within reason and budget) for her. Even if you don’t like it. Or think it’s not the right combination of factors to get the most bang for your buck. Do not force your expectations on her, because she will think of you every time she looks at that ring, and if what she feels is disappointment, that’s not good for anyone.

I’m not trying to be unkind, you seem very caring but just wanted to give you a woman‘s and wife’s (12 years) perspective. Good luck and keep moving forward. <3

I need to agree tbh. The specs you like seem quite specific, and you mentioned bezel set. But whose to say what you're future self will like, let alone a future bride?
Maybe fashions will change significantly too.
Personally, I would not appreciate anything below vs2 ; though I know many many ppl here feel s1 is fine.
Tbh, i did not get to choose my original engagement ring & i hated the one i got & rarely wear it. I keep it only for sentimental reasons.
I finally upgraded after 17 years to one i love.
But who wants to wear a ring they hate, and that costs so much for that long?

matt_k

Shiny_Rock

Thanks for your message. I guess I sounded too precise about my own taste as far as ring settings go. Haha. I DO love the sleek and modern look of a solitaire ring in a bezel setting(preferably accompanied by a diamond wedding band in a different color to help offset the two rings). But I wasn't planning to buy the setting, just the diamond. You are right, input from the person the ring will eventually be for(hopefully eventually... even though the idea of a relationship THAT serious at this point seems like a million miles away, combined with my natural gun-shy nature after striking out at bat the last time ).

matt_k

Shiny_Rock
Check your insurance small print - hopefully you will be covered for 'mysterious loss'.

It turns out my insurance company is supposed to cover mysterious disappearance, so I filed a claim. Still waiting to hear back. VERY stressed out. Whew. The past few days have been a roller coaster.

matt_k

Shiny_Rock
Does anybody here have any personal first-hand information about this sort of thing? AND about what I should expect in terms of the claim?

mission1

Shiny_Rock
I don’t really understand why you were considering a replacement diamond at all when you’ve got no use for it. Hopefully you can get an insurance payout (or sell it if it magically turns up!)... good luck!

SouthernElle

Shiny_Rock
You might want to file a police report. Are you sure that you’ve looked everywhere? I ask because when searching for something so important, my anxiety sometimes has caused me to overlook some “hiding” spots and once I calmed down I was able to be more thorough. Is it just the engagement ring or was the wedding band stolen too? Was the box taken or just the ring?

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry to hear all this @matt_k.

If you are going to troll bars and bring them back to your place, then rent a safety deposit box at a local bank or credit union and put all your valuables there. Or buy a home safe. I prefer a wall or floor safe as I believe it's harder to steal something you don't know exists. Home safes won't stop dedicated thieves, but should protect you from the hood rats who's just looking for a quick score.

Who's your insurance company?

Very unlikely they will give you a cash payout, or if so, it may be at a discounted rate. Also, did you submit paperwork so that the BGD stone was properly documented? Buying a 1 carat H VS2 is a different price than a super ideal branded 1 carat H VS2 like BGD, WF, etc. They will try to replace with "like quality" which is why I ask if they are aware it's not a run of the mill stone.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So sorry to hear the rings got stolen! I hope insurance is able to cover it.

Thanks for your message. I guess I sounded too precise about my own taste as far as ring settings go. Haha. I DO love the sleek and modern look of a solitaire ring in a bezel setting(preferably accompanied by a diamond wedding band in a different color to help offset the two rings). But I wasn't planning to buy the setting, just the diamond. You are right, input from the person the ring will eventually be for(hopefully eventually... even though the idea of a relationship THAT serious at this point seems like a million miles away, combined with my natural gun-shy nature after striking out at bat the last time ).

Even buying just the diamond is risky - my husband asked me what kind of diamond I wanted, and I said "none - a sapphire" and he looked like I completely broke his brain. If he had bought my ring on his own, he would have spent three times as much as we ended up spending on my wedding set on a big diamond in a solitaire and I would have never worn it.

Also, while not all of us have been there with broken engagements, we've all been there with breakups. Your recovery process sounds pretty normal. Sucks that the ring got stolen, but don't sweat your feelings. Breakups really knock you for a loop.

matt_k

Shiny_Rock
You might want to file a police report. Are you sure that you’ve looked everywhere? I ask because when searching for something so important, my anxiety sometimes has caused me to overlook some “hiding” spots and once I calmed down I was able to be more thorough. Is it just the engagement ring or was the wedding band stolen too? Was the box taken or just the ring?

I'm positive it was stored in my bottom dresser drawer in my bedroom. I don't have any useful info whatsoever for the police, however. if one of my drunken one night stands took the little bag that had both rings in their original boxes (which I'm almost certain is probably the case) it would have happened a minimum of three or four months ago, because I haven't had any company at my place since then. And out of the 2 possible women, I don't have any contact information(and I can only remember the first name of one of 'em ).

Last edited:

matt_k

Shiny_Rock
So sorry to hear the rings got stolen! I hope insurance is able to cover it.

Even buying just the diamond is risky - my husband asked me what kind of diamond I wanted, and I said "none - a sapphire" and he looked like I completely broke his brain. If he had bought my ring on his own, he would have spent three times as much as we ended up spending on my wedding set on a big diamond in a solitaire and I would have never worn it.

Also, while not all of us have been there with broken engagements, we've all been there with breakups. Your recovery process sounds pretty normal. Sucks that the ring got stolen, but don't sweat your feelings. Breakups really knock you for a loop.

My insurance company doesn't do cash payouts, but if they honor the "mysterious disappearance" portion of their policy coverage I've decided to go with a stone from high performance diamonds(that way I could always accept their very generous 80% lifetime buy-back option and go with a sapphire, etc( or I could go with their equally generous upgrade policy and pick a diamond to suit her taste).

matt_k

Shiny_Rock
Very sound advice.

Re: insurance company: I'm insured with Jewelers mutual. You are correct, they do not do cash payouts. But from what I've read online they are supposed to be pretty generous with their replacement process (they had the diamond grading report for my e-ring, plus an appraisal.... and my engagement ring was insured for $9,400).

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: insurance company: I'm insured with Jewelers mutual. You are correct, they do not do cash payouts. But from what I've read online they are supposed to be pretty generous with their replacement process (they had the diamond grading report for my e-ring, plus an appraisal.... and my engagement ring was insured for $9,400).

Remember they will replace the stone, setting and any bands with LIKE quality up to a MAXIMUM of $9,400.

Upstream you mentioned you had a BGD Blue 1.164 J SI1. They will likely contact BGD and ask for a similar replacement and cost to do so. While just barely smaller, this stone may qualify. The 0.026 carats it's short may be offset by the upgrade in VS2 clarity.

So for the stone I'd expect about $6,300. If you bought a setting through BGD they would use a similar approach to determine that cost. And you mentioned a second ring. I'm not sure if that was her matching wedding band or yours but again they would check with the original vendor to determine price for exact style, metal, design, etc.

Also, this assumes you have records on file for the stone + e-ring setting + other band. If you only had the stone documented, then that is all they will pay, so about $6,300 minus your deductible.

But assuming all that is documented, they will pay up to $9,400 to replace. If actual cost to replace is $10,500 then they may do a cash payout so they honor their policy. Unfortunately if the total sums to $8,500 then you will never see the extra $900. This is why it's important to ACCURATLEY value and insure your jewelry for true replacement plus about 10-15% for inflation. And then revisit and adjust every 1-2 years. Keeps you from paying higher premiums and always the right protection.

The thing I'm not sure of is if they will let you take the value they assess for the stone + setting + band and spend elsewhere for a larger diamond only.

Assuming they will allow this and you decide to hop to HPD or WF then remember neither of these vendors offer stones with fluor that is stronger than faint. Actually I've seen ONE CBI stone from HPD that had medium fluor. It was a big deal. Best I recall, it was somewhat a fluke. They had a few early on and I think it resurfaced as a trade. @Wink, the owner of HPD, can confirm the details. Also he deals with JM all the time and may be able to provide further clarification on insurance.

matt_k

Shiny_Rock
Remember they will replace the stone, setting and any bands with LIKE quality up to a MAXIMUM of $9,400.

Upstream you mentioned you had a BGD Blue 1.164 J SI1. They will likely contact BGD and ask for a similar replacement and cost to do so. While just barely smaller, this stone may qualify. The 0.026 carats it's short may be offset by the upgrade in VS2 clarity.

So for the stone I'd expect about $6,300. If you bought a setting through BGD they would use a similar approach to determine that cost. And you mentioned a second ring. I'm not sure if that was her matching wedding band or yours but again they would check with the original vendor to determine price for exact style, metal, design, etc.

Also, this assumes you have records on file for the stone + e-ring setting + other band. If you only had the stone documented, then that is all they will pay, so about $6,300 minus your deductible.

But assuming all that is documented, they will pay up to $9,400 to replace. If actual cost to replace is $10,500 then they may do a cash payout so they honor their policy. Unfortunately if the total sums to $8,500 then you will never see the extra $900. This is why it's important to ACCURATLEY value and insure your jewelry for true replacement plus about 10-15% for inflation. And then revisit and adjust every 1-2 years. Keeps you from paying higher premiums and always the right protection.

The thing I'm not sure of is if they will let you take the value they assess for the stone + setting + band and spend elsewhere for a larger diamond only.

Assuming they will allow this and you decide to hop to HPD or WF then remember neither of these vendors offer stones with fluor that is stronger than faint. Actually I've seen ONE CBI stone from HPD that had medium fluor. It was a big deal. Best I recall, it was somewhat a fluke. They had a few early on and I think it resurfaced as a trade. @Wink, the owner of HPD, can confirm the details. Also he deals with JM all the time and may be able to provide further clarification on insurance.

Thanks for the feedback, Sledge. Jewelers mutual actually allows you to pick whatever jeweler you want, and you only have to choose one option. So I'm definitely going with high performance diamonds no matter what, due to their amazing customer service and truly incredible 80% lifetime Buy-Back option(I had a long conversation with Melissa last night, and was VERY impressed--- it sounds like a one of a kind outfit, to be sure ).

The wedding band was from Blue Nile, and it will be replaced using Blue Nile. From what I read online, it sounds like Jewelers mutual is pretty flexible, so I'm hoping they will allow me to drop one color grade in order to gain some carat size(plus I'll hopefully be given a $1,000 credit for the setting that I don't plan to buy at this time). Melissa was very thorough when we talked last night, and she let me know that blue fluorescence is a no-no when it comes to crafted by infinity diamonds. a small sacrifice, all Things Considered(yes, it would be nice to save money from the blue fluorescence discount, but when you factor in all the other benefits of high performance diamonds it's more than worth it). Melissa also forwarded a number of pictures of crafted by infinity diamonds, and I was floored by how big they face up. She owns a .67 that looks like a 1-carat to me.

josieKat

Shiny_Rock
I feel for you with respect to both the heartbreak of the breakup and the frustration of the theft. But I really don't understand why you would purchase a diamond, a ring, and especially a wedding ring, without a particular partner in mind. Preferences are so particular to the person. I know it would probably bother me both that a prospective spouse had already purchased these items way before we met, without any idea of what I liked (even if the offer was there to change things, it would feel like a constraint on my decision-making if I had input), and that they were bought with the proceeds from a previously failed engagement (the latter feeling is totally unfair of me, of course, but it ends up emotionally feeling like there is a connection between the previous engagement and the current one).

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No doubt HPD is top shelf. Love the CBI stones, the upgrade and buyback policies are hassle free and of course the customer service is some of the best available.

That said, you made a statement that threw me. I agree that CBI's will face up large, but I would also agree your BGD should have done the same.

It's common for super ideals to appear larger and whiter than average stones because the cut is superior and you are maximizing light return so the super ideal stone is brighter and extends edge to edge making it look larger in low light conditions.

The video below shows what I am talking about. However, the stone that "shrinks" is poorly cut and would not be representative of a CBI vs BGD comparison.

I'm not advocating you stick with BGD, nor bagging on HPD. I just want your expectations to be real.

matt_k

Shiny_Rock
I feel for you with respect to both the heartbreak of the breakup and the frustration of the theft. But I really don't understand why you would purchase a diamond, a ring, and especially a wedding ring, without a particular partner in mind. Preferences are so particular to the person. I know it would probably bother me both that a prospective spouse had already purchased these items way before we met, without any idea of what I liked (even if the offer was there to change things, it would feel like a constraint on my decision-making if I had input), and that they were bought with the proceeds from a previously failed engagement (the latter feeling is totally unfair of me, of course, but it ends up emotionally feeling like there is a connection between the previous engagement and the current one).

my plan is to buy the diamond, not the setting(worst case scenario, if I have to get the diamond in a setting to be in compliance with the regulations for reimbursement I will get a really cheap setting just to satisfy insurance requirements... and the FINAL setting can be chosen later by some future lass ). I have no choice but to go ahead and get a wedding band now, however, because my insurance doesn't do cash payouts, only replacements. ‍♂️

I don't have the luxury of eating the $9,500 I spent on that old super ideal diamond and the diamond wedding band, frankly. if they do indeed pay the claim I'm going to consider myself VERY lucky and make the best of a difficult situation. And technically speaking, this jewelry will be brand-new to whoever wears it down the road--- it's not like I'm trying to use the same ring twice. Anywhoo, thanks for your response.

matt_k

Shiny_Rock
No doubt HPD is top shelf. Love the CBI stones, the upgrade and buyback policies are hassle free and of course the customer service is some of the best available.

That said, you made a statement that threw me. I agree that CBI's will face up large, but I would also agree your BGD should have done the same.

It's common for super ideals to appear larger and whiter than average stones because the cut is superior and you are maximizing light return so the super ideal stone is brighter and extends edge to edge making it look larger in low light conditions.

The video below shows what I am talking about. However, the stone that "shrinks" is poorly cut and would not be representative of a CBI vs BGD comparison.

I'm not advocating you stick with BGD, nor bagging on HPD. I just want your expectations to be real.

I definitely didn't mean to sound like I was throwing off on the quality of Brian Gavin diamonds--- that's NOT the case. My old Brian Gavin blue was phenomenal, absolutely. And I actually would have loved to get that 1.76 K SI1 Brian Gavin blue that was in the inventory listings recently(with the 10% discount it would have been a steal). But bottom line, that 80% lifetime Buy-Back option with high performance diamonds is the ultimate deal sweetener. And if we are talking apples to apples (and after the research I've done, it seems pretty clear that crafted by infinity is no step down in quality as super ideal diamonds go.... so it's a win-win situation as far as I'm concerned, and a no-brainer). if BGD offered a 80% lifetime Buy-Back option I would be very torn. But since that is not the case my decision has been made for me. ‍♂️

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good luck with next steps and do show us what HPD has in store for you!!

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You could always put the stone into a Tension Setting ring and wear it yourself...

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My concern is that if you get a diamond, what if you end up with someone who doesn't want a diamond engagement ring? Or wants a different shape? This all seems extremely risky

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Make this baby a pinky ring. Buy a few suits. Start having your friends calling you Lucky or Tiny.

1578543557751.png

1578543599248.png

matt_k

Shiny_Rock

Oh, and thanks for that Gary Holloway video. I already knew he was an Aussie, but it was cool to hear his voice.

I'm actually very familiar with his HCA calculator,
in fact. I eliminated assloads of diamonds with crappy numbers using his rejection tool before finally choosing my old super ideal Brian Gavin blue. and I also owned an ideal scope back in the day ( and an asset scope as well), but I misplaced them.

matt_k

Shiny_Rock
You could always put the stone into a Tension Setting ring and wear it yourself...

I'm honestly just NOT a diamond ring type of dude. But I DID like wearing my wedding band during my first marriage AGES ago(my finger felt weird without it for years afterward).

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results