shape
carat
color
clarity

opinions on diamond cert info

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

gemofnj

Rough_Rock
Trade
Hello Again!

It is GIA Certified by the GEM Trade Laboratory. It did not come with a proportion diagram as my cert is dated 2001.

Do I have to get it re-certified or contact the Lab to get the Proportion Diagram?

Here are the stats on the Main stone in the ring:

Shape Square Modified Brilliant (Princess Cut)

Measurements 9.35 x 9.33 x 7.17

Weight 5.17 carat

Depth 76.8%

Table 73%

Girdle Medium to Thick

Cutlet None

Polish Excellent

Symmetry Very Good

Clarity Grade VS 2

Color Grade H

Fluorescence None

Comments: Pinpoints are not shown

Thank you for any comments, and should I get the proportion diagram??

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t think that is necessary as GIA still do not cut grade princess cut, so the proportion profile is not that useful anyway as GIA do not even list the crown height of the princess cut.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Gem

I personally wouldn''t bother if you are happy with the stone, unless you feel you would rather have the newer report format.

gemofnj

Rough_Rock
Trade
So how do I get a better understanding of whats in my diamond? I''m new here and see all these tests everyone gets on their diamonds before they buy them.

Should I get an ASET test or others? Salin? Do I get these performed from my jeweler? How do all these folks do these tests?

I would like to see how my diamond fits into all this criteria.

gemofnj

Rough_Rock
Trade
i would like a newer format.

but generally speaking, is there anything that is good or bad that stands out from this report???

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Buy yourself an ASET scope and learn how to use it, then go shopping with it will be the simplest.

Not that expensive anyway.

http://ideal-scope.com/cart_order.asp

Or get it independently appraised.

The numbers look ok, nothing especially out of whack.

gemofnj

Rough_Rock
Trade
ok thanks. i''ve had it appraised that is not the issue. i just want to know more about my stone and its character.

im guessing to just buy the beginner set? can my jeweler do this for me?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/28/2010 10:49:44 AM
Author: gemofnj
So how do I get a better understanding of whats in my diamond? I'm new here and see all these tests everyone gets on their diamonds before they buy them.

Should I get an ASET test or others? Salin? Do I get these performed from my jeweler? How do all these folks do these tests?

I would like to see how my diamond fits into all this criteria.
Ok, well your best bet might be to make an appointment with an independant appraiser that is skilled in evaluating cut quality, choose one that also can provide you with ASET images etc. This could be a valuable exercise as I imagine this is a costly stone and it would give you useful info not only on the cut but for insurance purposes.

It looks fine on paper, nothing out of the ordinary but the basic numbers only give us a chalk outline of the stone unfortunately.

appraiser tool

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
So I am guessing the appraiser you went to did not have ASET?

Most jewelers do not have ASET but you can ask around. Maybe go check out jewelers with AGS0 cut graded stones, they will more likely have the scope.

The size of your stone might be a bit problematic with the ASET scope, usually those are design for use for sub 2 carat stones I think. I would call the contact number listed on the idealscope site and ask for opinion/suggestions.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/28/2010 10:59:34 AM
ok thanks. i''ve had it appraised that is not the issue. i just want to know more about my stone and its character.

I just read this, you could find an appraiser that is skilled in evaluating cut just work on that aspect of it for you, it might be hard to find a jeweller that gives you an impartial opinion on the cut of the diamond.

gemofnj

Rough_Rock
Trade
Stone,

The stone was purchase in 2001 so I''m not sure these tests existed then, and if they did, I am just learning about them now.
1.gif

In addition, this report doesnt give much and is missing the proportion diagram. Like Lorelei states, its very vague--which kind of bothers me.

Maybe the independent appraiser is the way to go so that there can be an unbiased opinion. I have a wonderful relationship with my jeweler, but to me, his opinion would be somewhat biased.

Thanks for the input and advice.

gemofnj

Rough_Rock
Trade
Also, this tutorial on ASET does explain that Princess Cut diamonds fall into a different criteria.

http://www.americangemsociety.org/uploads/ASETTheory-709.pdf

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Good luck.

Keep us posted. :)

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sorry, I am confused. Is this a diamond you have owned since 2001, or a diamond you are looking to buy now.

gemofnj

Rough_Rock
Trade
I own the diamond.

Its beautifully set in a 3 stone setting with other smaller princess cut diamonds the sides all in a pave setting.

I would upload a photo but cant do it at the moment.

Just looking for the character of the main diamond.

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/28/2010 10:59:34 AM
ok thanks. i've had it appraised that is not the issue. i just want to know more about my stone and its character.

The numbers alone do not tell you everything you need to know as other Pricescopers have mentioned. Various combinations of Table/Depth and Crown/Pavillion angles will result in great looking Princess Cuts. There are certain cut parameters which achieve good results through proper facet arrangement and matching. Table, Crown, and Star and Girdle facets are cut in a certain way. Great stones exhibit a high balance of fire, brilliance, and scintillation and the amount and intensity of these elements.

One of the better ways to evaluate a Princess Cut is with tools that evaluate light leakage as mentioned.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/28/2010 11:26:35 AM
I own the diamond.

Its beautifully set in a 3 stone setting with other smaller princess cut diamonds the sides all in a pave setting.

I would upload a photo but cant do it at the moment.

Just looking for the character of the main diamond.
In this case, I think it would be good to send the ring to a reputable independent appraiser who can give you a whole work up on the diamond and its characteristics! There are some who frequent PS who have all the good tools and can give you lots of great information about your diamond. BUT BUT BUT there is danger in this. A diamond you love can lose its glamour if it turns out that it is not as well cut as you once thought. A little knowledge, and PS, can be a dangerous thing for those diamonds we already own
4.gif

gemofnj

Rough_Rock
Trade
Yes dreamer, I do agree. Finding out imperfections in a stone we already own can do serious mental damage. lol

However, on the positive side, you can always sell it, or upgrade if you dont want to live with it.
1.gif

gemofnj

Rough_Rock
Trade
Josh,

This is precisely what I would like to learn about my diamond. To me this is important to learn if my diamond is a "great" stone.

And, probably a double edge sword!

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/28/2010 11:48:19 AM
Josh,

This is precisely what I would like to learn about my diamond. To me this is important to learn if my diamond is a ''great'' stone.

And, probably a double edge sword!
First this is a 5 ct. plus stone which in itself is substantial.

A "great" stone is one which appeals to you.

Psychologically more Important, Will your stone appeal to you less?

You could do a cost effective analysis of getting a sarin done and possible re-cut.

If there is an option for upgrade and value of full initial purchase price I would go that route.
40.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results