shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions on an oval

AandW

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

My gf is set on getting an oval ring, and we have both been on the forum for a while now, learning about what to look for in an oval diamond.
We've recently started reaching out to vendors, and was recommended this by GoG:
http://www.goodoldgold.com/ecommerce/1-5ct-g-si1-oval-diamond.html

This is the first stone that we've seen, and it looks good. But as we haven't seen any others, there's no basis for comparison at the moment.
Hoping to get some second opinions here.
What do you think? Does the ASET look ok? Should we wait for more options to turn up?

Here's a video of it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CA4YxDaGH9E&feature=youtu.be

Thanks for your input!

Regards,
A&W

AandW

Rough_Rock
By the way, we're currently both based overseas.

Planning to set the stone in a halo ring right after getting it (probably with VC).
That is why we're looking for second opinions and input, as we won't get to see it until everything is done.

Thanks in advance!

fiona00004

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I am not an expert at reading asets nor buying ovals...

I upgraded from a radiant to an oval. My oval is 1.23 ct, j color and vs2 d I love it!

I somehow have the feeling that the high price of the one you are showing is because of the color? Because the price shown is almost twice the amount I paid for mine. I think I would probably look around for some more ovals for comparison, especially if you are not sure. I don't know if GOG could possibly send more pics or videos of the oval against the hand in various lighting conditions to show its performance in a more "normal" situation...

Good luck with your search! I love ovals!

Did you have a setting style in mind?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's a very pretty oval.

Ovals are hard to pick without knowing what to look for.

A little oval education (purely from Tyty333's point of view)

My favorite stones are usually faceted like this (example)..

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/oval-cut/1.60-carat-g-color-vvs2-clarity-sku-302603

If you look at the GIA report on the 1.60 and look at the diagram of the back of the stone you can see that the pavilion main
facets dont run straight across the middle of the short width of the stone so, you never get an arrow (which can tend to be
dark especially if wide and badly cut) going through the middle of the stone.

The GOG has an arrow but it looks like it mostly reflects bright/white which is showing a better cut (IMO).

Here is an example with an arrow running down the center of the stone which is not cut well and reflects badly when it's showing...
(big black line when you stare down at the stone). This is how most Ovals are cut. There are a lot of badly cut ovals out there.
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/oval-cut/1.50-carat-i-color-vs2-clarity-sku-270523

If you look at the GIA report for this stone you will see that the pavilion main facets run directly across the center of the short width
of the stone, resulting in the big, black, bad...bow-tie.

Anyway, back to the GOG stone...I think its a lovely stone and certainly looks quite nice in the video!

AandW

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your response! :)

I see what you mean about the arrow across the middle. Is there an ideal cut for Ovals? for eg, is it better or worse to have the pavilion main facets across the middle of the stone?

I think that I do also prefer the faceting on the 1.6ct JA stone you mentioned. When I first saw the picture of the GOG stone, I was unsure about the facets across the middle, but later on thought it looked fine in the video.

The GOG stone is very pretty, but I'm not sure how it rates in the world of Ovals. Does it face up big/small, is the inclusion acceptable, is it considered colourless enough, is there any bow tie (I can't see one!) etc.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AandW|1425757817|3843418 said:
Thanks for your response! :)

I see what you mean about the arrow across the middle. Is there an ideal cut for Ovals? for eg, is it better or worse to have the pavilion main facets across the middle of the stone?As far as I know there is not an industry standard for ideal cut ovals. You need aset
images to check on light return. If the stone has a sarin report you can look at the angles. GOG can get you both (I think). With respect
to pavilion main facets - I think it's all personal preference. You CAN find pretty stones of each time but it takes a lot of hunting.
Working with someone like GOG can help you narrow down the nicer stones quicker. You just have to be able to tell them what
your personal preference is.

I think that I do also prefer the faceting on the 1.6ct JA stone you mentioned. When I first saw the picture of the GOG stone, I was unsure about the facets across the middle, but later on thought it looked fine in the video. This is the nice thing about GOG...the videos.
Sometimes bow-ties in a static picture look terrible but when you see them in a video you can really tell if its a bad or good bow-tie.

The GOG stone is very pretty, but I'm not sure how it rates in the world of Ovals. Does it face up big/small, is the inclusion acceptable, is it considered colourless enough, is there any bow tie (I can't see one!) etc. Around PS we usually say as long as the stone is
eye-clean and it doesn't affect the light return (like a cloud) or integrity of the stone (like a feather on the corner of a princess)
then the inclusion is ok. Ask GOG if its eye-clean. For Ovals... G is a good middle of the road color and should look pretty white.
H may also be OK. An I color will probably start to show some tint. I'm going to provide you with some links with more
information on oval stones.

Shape selector...for fun...click on the oval and enter the info for the stone.
http://datlas.com/shape-selector/

Scroll down and enter the info for the stone...
http://datlas.com/do-it-yourself-aganaja-cut-class-grader/

But...numbers for fancy cuts just dont tell you enough. Dont get too stuck on them. Aset images, videos etc really tell you more
with respect to fancy cuts. (IMO)

GOG used to bring in 3 stones for a client and do a video. You might have to pay a deposit. If you have a favorite faceting
pattern, let them know so they can bring in what you will like. You can post the video on PS and ask for people's opinions
and get lots of feed back.

AandW

Rough_Rock
I'll speak to GOG about trying to get a few more good options to choose from. Will be back with more options (and questions!)

Thanks again! :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results