shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions on an Elyque setting please...

Sunshine812

Shiny_Rock
4C4FE517-FF12-428D-951F-978EAF299EFA.jpeg
I have been following your thread with interest. So sorry you are not completely happy with the way your ring has been set. Here is a pic (hopeless at taking pics) of mine, an older ring that I seldom wear now. It is much, much smaller than yours, centre oval is about .40ct, not sure of the melee size. I don’t see any metal showing between the oval and melee, due (I think) to it being a shared prong, basket setting. Not sure if this post will help you, but I hope you do get your dream ring.

Thank you for sharing and following this thread. Your ring is very pretty. I love seeing the different types of settings for a “halo” that shows barely any metal. I guess I didn’t explain it in a way that was clear. I did keep saying I didn’t want the straight line around the outside of the halo and space between the prongs or spacing/gaps between center stone and halo. I only heard about shared prong on shank not on halo, and nothing about a basket setting.

I know I was not the ideal customer and I changed my mind a lot because the ring was not getting to what I wanted or what I wanted the actual in real life ring looked nothing like the renders I wanted or liked. I’m very picky and I too want a ring I will love.

Sunshine812

Shiny_Rock
@Sunshine812 my ring is made by CvB Inspired Design. It's called the Delilah. I have had two of these settings now. One was a very pale pad sapphire I sold. This has a different frame for the diamonds than the pad did, I think. This reminds me of a frilly crinoline layer on the underside.

If you look at Caysie's Instagram and Etsy, and site, on this, you can see there are different methods of building the halo support.

If you like this style support, send her the photos. Look at her Instagram too and she will chat with you about how you can work the setting. Her work is very detail oriented and meticulous.

She has multiple halo- and cluster- designs if you like her aesthetic!

I’m definitely going to look at CvBs Instagram and Etsy and see all her designs. I love your ring. Maybe she can take my current ring and build me a halo support or cluster that I can love forever! I can’t wait. Thank you for all your advice, pictures, and most of all showing me your ring.

I’ll keep you posted, again thank you.

Venti25

Shiny_Rock
I honestly think that you should be considering a different vendor to make the ring as you've been unsatisfied with the outcome so many times now. I also don't believe that asking for another remake is necessarily a fair outcome given the CADs have changed three (probably a fourth?) times now. Quite a few vendors charge for custom CAD and Jonathan to my knowledge, doesn't. I completely understand wanting a ring to love - but it does seem that you're not quite sure what you want to love either, so perhaps a more detailed process of what you want the end product to look like and go back from there? You may need a more experienced and perhaps expensive bench.

BMI

Shiny_Rock
Do you think RG or stay WG?
I think if you want to minimize the look of the metal, white metal is definitely the way to go for you.

@Sunshine812 Did you like your second ring better than your third ring?

I got the impression from your previous thread that you very much liked the rose gold. If so, perhaps a two tone ring with a white metal for the head/cluster and a rose gold shank?

Here's just one example with a plain rose gold shank/white gold halo to give you an idea of the look.

IMG_2517.jpg

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
Your ring is beautifully done and perfectly proportioned. Your 4th version did the trick for you, I love it.

I wonder how my Oval would look if I went to like say the next up size of melee 2.6mm?

I too love the one Elle posted, it gave me an Oval with large melees and scalloped edges to see that I like the scalloped. Do you think people would say my ring is a cocktail ring or cluster ring? I guess it doesn’t really matter as long as I love it. if I went bigger in halo stones, I’d probably do a plain band to not detract from the center and halo diamonds. I also would like to go back to RG seeing that I have a “K” and that shows a bit with the 14k WG X-1 that it’s currently set in.

Dainty band, yes the first time my E-ring was made the band was 1.8 and very thin for my size finger. It felt tiny and it was scratchy on the sides, not comfortable at all.

Yes, I have a better understanding of what I want now, I’m just hoping it can be fixed this one last time. I sent a message but no response as of yet, so we will see. I’ll keep you all posted.

Thanks again for all your comments and advice. Much appreciated

You are getting a lot of design advice. I have made a lot of rings but I am no diamond expert. I think if you are limited to the Stuller catalogue, you are not going to get what you want here.

I just want to point out that you want a halo really and not a cluster ring IMHO having read all these pages over the week. I consider my ring a halo and it has the scalloped edges/shared prong pave from what I can see. On the band, each diamond is held in individually which I just usually refer to as pave. I think you need to not go too big on those halo stones. If this was a gemstone ring or maybe not your e-ring then I would say to go for it. I don’t know if you can get refunded any money from Jon or start over with another designer. I really think you should stick with the 2.25 or go no larger then 2.5 mm for the halo to keep it a halo. In the scalloped halo, you are not going to see metal like you did with the previous ring support. I get the sense that you want a rose gold e-ring that is not a cocktail ring from your updates.

I also love the ring that Elle posted and the stones were slightly larger but still look like a halo. I can’t quite tell if a band can sit flush or not. If you have a big halo, you probably want to keep the band simple. Every single band I have fits with my ring so I can go big or small. I am reposting from the side again. I really think this is the best design if you want a flush band. There are the same few designers that are mentioned on this board but I use another jeweler in LA (Sam at Debebian’s [email protected]). He is very good at CAD’s and has all his own in house people, which I like. It makes it easy to control the process and I don’t usually have surprises.

Again from the side and front, mine is still a halo.

E072E435-F7F8-4341-9B04-9BDBD1339159.jpeg
DCFBEF8E-9197-402E-9393-465454FEA134.jpeg
76EBE123-C437-4C2B-BDBE-7504A50897C9.jpeg
These are 4 different bands that all sit flush and they are all a little different. I lifted the head on the ring and I love the organic flow of it now. I really hate any airlines on a halo because dirt builds up and we found a way to lift the stone slightly and tuck the halo. It took me 4 times to get it just right too so you will get there. Don’t rush the process. I would try to stick with your original vision or you will end up with something you are not happy with and there might not be anymore chances. Good luck!

D9D9508F-FF6B-4E25-85C4-9472CA1679DB.jpeg
9C200629-0314-4020-A2D9-F7B39D40A56A.jpeg
0FF70918-028E-43F6-9D45-26A4B6D6C0E6.jpeg

Attachments

• 525F6AA9-48FE-47FD-9FBF-07B05A525A95.jpeg
    525F6AA9-48FE-47FD-9FBF-07B05A525A95.jpeg
    142.4 KB · Views: 17

Sunshine812

Shiny_Rock
@Sunshine812 Did you like your second ring better than your third ring?

I got the impression from your previous thread that you very much liked the rose gold. If so, perhaps a two tone ring with a white metal for the head/cluster and a rose gold shank?

Here's just one example with a plain rose gold shank/white gold halo to give you an idea of the look.

IMG_2517.jpg

Thank you. Yes the RG was pretty. 2 tone is an interesting idea. Thanks so much for sharing

Sunshine812

Shiny_Rock
You are getting a lot of design advice. I have made a lot of rings but I am no diamond expert. I think if you are limited to the Stuller catalogue, you are not going to get what you want here.

I just want to point out that you want a halo really and not a cluster ring IMHO having read all these pages over the week. I consider my ring a halo and it has the scalloped edges/shared prong pave from what I can see. On the band, each diamond is held in individually which I just usually refer to as pave. I think you need to not go too big on those halo stones. If this was a gemstone ring or maybe not your e-ring then I would say to go for it. I don’t know if you can get refunded any money from Jon or start over with another designer. I really think you should stick with the 2.25 or go no larger then 2.5 mm for the halo to keep it a halo. In the scalloped halo, you are not going to see metal like you did with the previous ring support. I get the sense that you want a rose gold e-ring that is not a cocktail ring from your updates.

I also love the ring that Elle posted and the stones were slightly larger but still look like a halo. I can’t quite tell if a band can sit flush or not. If you have a big halo, you probably want to keep the band simple. Every single band I have fits with my ring so I can go big or small. I am reposting from the side again. I really think this is the best design if you want a flush band. There are the same few designers that are mentioned on this board but I use another jeweler in LA (Sam at Debebian’s [email protected]). He is very good at CAD’s and has all his own in house people, which I like. It makes it easy to control the process and I don’t usually have surprises.

Again from the side and front, mine is still a halo.

E072E435-F7F8-4341-9B04-9BDBD1339159.jpeg
DCFBEF8E-9197-402E-9393-465454FEA134.jpeg
76EBE123-C437-4C2B-BDBE-7504A50897C9.jpeg
These are 4 different bands that all sit flush and they are all a little different. I lifted the head on the ring and I love the organic flow of it now. I really hate any airlines on a halo because dirt builds up and we found a way to lift the stone slightly and tuck the halo. It took me 4 times to get it just right too so you will get there. Don’t rush the process. I would try to stick with your original vision or you will end up with something you are not happy with and there might not be anymore chances. Good luck!

D9D9508F-FF6B-4E25-85C4-9472CA1679DB.jpeg
9C200629-0314-4020-A2D9-F7B39D40A56A.jpeg
0FF70918-028E-43F6-9D45-26A4B6D6C0E6.jpeg

You are correct, a lot of design advice. I did ask Jonathan if his bench could help me out, not Stuller, so we will see. If not, I’ll have to look around at the names mentioned in this thread and the one you used in LA.
I definitely don’t want my e-ring to look like a cocktail ring. I do love RG, plus with my stone being a “K”, I thought it would blend better. I think the 14k WG X1 is really Shiny Silver and I think my K shows In this WG. I also will take the recommendation of a simpler band.
Yes, both rings that Elle posted were pretty. Which one are you talking about? The one with the pink stones in the halo? Do you like the milgrain work?
I told Jonathan I loved all the renders but the actual rings looked nothing like any of the renders. The 2d ring was the closest.
I too hope something will be worked out, but if not, I’ll find someone else. Again thanks for all your insight and extra research to know what I really want.

Sunshine812

Shiny_Rock
Hi everyone that posted and provided me with your experience and advice. Your recommendations are much appreciated.

Jonathan from DG has said this
” the new ring can't be *exact* because we're using the same 2.2mm diamonds around a 2ct sized oval and not a 1.5xct. The law of physics demands there to be some kind of difference albeit it is near nothing of a difference. The diamonds are perhaps an extra .5 microns difference in space. If we look at macro images and strain at a gnat, it's likely we'll swallow a camel and miss the overall beauty that is your halo ring. Your ring truly is gorgeous”

So, looks like I will be finding another individual to work with. Thank you for your recommendations, I truly need someone to make my vision a reality, or something I will love.

Thanks again

elizat

Ideal_Rock
Hopefully you will end up with something you love! What are you going to do with this setting you have now? I ask because I wonder if a sapphire I have might fit. My stone is 9 x 7 x 5 deep approx.

Last edited:

Sunshine812

Shiny_Rock
Hopefully you will end up with something you love! What are you going to do with this setting you have now? I ask because I wonder if a sapphire I have might fit. My stone is 9 x 7 x 5 deep approx.

Me too! Thank you

Not sure what I’m going to do with my current setting, want to make me an offer? what color is your sapphire? I bet it would look beautiful. Have you Ever worked with Jonathan before? Maybe I can get him to unmount my diamond and put in your sapphire, but that’s probably silly since I’m sure you have your own people.
Just let me know.
Thanks again

elizat

Ideal_Rock
Me too! Thank you

Not sure what I’m going to do with my current setting, want to make me an offer? what color is your sapphire? I bet it would look beautiful. Have you Ever worked with Jonathan before? Maybe I can get him to unmount my diamond and put in your sapphire, but that’s probably silly since I’m sure you have your own people.
Just let me know.
Thanks again

I reached out to him directly by email. I've worked with him before.

My sapphire is a violet blue. It's currently set in a setting that I don't really care for, but I'm not sure if my stone is too big for your setting. I've reached out to him directly to ask and see what he thinks. I think that's the safest. If it will fit I will post information about how to get in touch with me outside of here.

Moonie

Shiny_Rock
I've been following your journey and as someone who's super obsessed with prongs, I wonder if the solution is as simple as smaller prongs so that there is less space between the halo diamonds. I have been squinting at all the renderings and the subsequent work and I really think that it's the prongs that looks bulky and looks to create extra space.

If you want more of a cluster look, that's a different story! But I have seen delicate halo work on PS by Hannah Maytal and other vendors that have super tight halos and look beautiful.

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
That is great, thank you, can’t wait to see your violet blue sapphire in the setting, thanks again.
BTW - This really made my day.:appl:

If you go for larger halo stones and have a custom ring made, I think you can still get what you are after. A ring setting that looks like your original CAD inspiration. I would reach out to my jeweler in LA and get a quote. He is very good with halo’s and has done several for me over the year’s including the one in avatar and the one I posted.

CalliopeCladdagh

Shiny_Rock
This came up on my Instagram from a local jeweller and made me think of you. It seems very close to what you are looking for and might help. You can see how each diamond is held in its own little "cup" (I don't know the technical terms) instead of one large circle of metal all around the halo. I hope the links work!

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
i am so sorry for what you have been through.

it is tough also when you are trying to describe what you want with the pictures/ renders that you have and get a different looking ring.

It sounds as if you have now a way forward to start the ring making process again.
You have had great advice and pictures to show the new vendor. One thing i will add, and it may not be a consideration at all given the pictures that you have amassed:

1) the prongs that hold the central diamond- some are claw like and some are button like. To show less metal on the central diamond, i think a claw prong would work better.
2) the support for the halo/ cluster- it has to be scalloped as shown in the various other pictures. One other detail that some have mentioned is the angle of the halo- it has to be tilted to some degree. This will also hide the amount of potential metal showing. However, when doing this, the halo stones are going to look a little smaller from above. this may not be what you are after.
i can't access my phone to show you what i mean. But... if you will hold the ring in a profile/ side view....

a) the table (flat part) of the oval is horizontal
b) the table of the halo would be at an angle of 5-10 degrees (maybe more?) downward from that oval table. remember by doing this, the halo diamonds will look a little smaller and it woudl also hide any potential metal.

hopefully, you will have all the information to work with a new vendor. Some great suggestions being offered of whom to work with.

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
oval .jpg
the blue line is what you currently have.
the red line, albeit exaggerated, is more where i think the tilt of the halo would be to hide some of that halo metal, or the scalloped/ cluster look.

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
I love the design that @Whisper89 r just added and I think that shows exactly how your ring should be built. I would guess those diamonds are 2.25-2.5 mm and the center stone size will dictate how many. I also agree with what @gregchang35 just said. I believe my halo has a 10 degree tilt if I remember correctly. I think when you are doing a larger diamond halo, the tilt is crucial. You can see the tilt in the rendering.

884B19D8-9075-4C7E-B3E9-40F72F1D341E.jpeg

B0BFD40E-6E87-4595-8D45-9CA7E3545091.jpeg

Sunshine812

Shiny_Rock
This has a happy ending.

It's home to a sapphire of mine now, that was in a setting I didn't like much. I think it is a lovely makeover and I will wear it now.

@Sunshine812

IMG_20200618_113333.jpg IMG_20200618_113059.jpg

IMG_20200618_112928.jpg

Thank you. That looks gorgeous!
In My opinion, for what it’s worth, the setting looks way better with your beautiful sapphire.
I’m so glad everything worked out!
Thanks again.

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
woohoo! we ilke a good ending.
that sapphire is stunning! and in that halo.. that pop is amazing!

elizat

Ideal_Rock
Thank you. That looks gorgeous!
In My opinion, for what it’s worth, the setting looks way better with your beautiful sapphire.
I’m so glad everything worked out!
Thanks again.

I think it worked out really well. I actually am very pleased with the outcome and think my stone looks much better in a new dress! This stone is hard to photograph and looks darker in the up close photos than it really is. Sapphires are hard to photograph in general.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
@Sunshine812 did you ever get the halo how you wanted it? I stumbled upon this old thread.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results