shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions on an Elyque setting please...

Sunshine812

Shiny_Rock
I can’t open the links to see what is in the Stuller catalogue that @lydial posted. I suspect that you have a French style halo and what you really are asking for is the scalloped basket. My ring has 2.5 mm stones and I think that is the only way to do it when you have a large halo. I personally don’t like any halo where the stones look like they are sitting on a plate and the center is flush. I feel like that is the difference between your pics and the finished ring. If they lifted the stone slightly and tucked the halo under. You also need a slight tilt to the halo but the degree’s I will leave to the experts. When you have larger stones, especially on a round, you don’t want it to look like a center stone with planets orbiting around it.

I don’t know what the limitations are working with only the Stuller catalogue. Could your credit be applied to a custom design because I think a scalloped basket is the only way you are going to get one you are asking for. I am including my CAD but this was before I knew much about CAD’s and not all the info is on here. I actually had it recast after this version and raised the head a bit more. I had no problem with a flush sitting band either.

6E4E666E-F45A-4001-BE7F-CADA44FAEB13.jpeg 6A4F1BD6-15BF-4B9C-BA43-B41DEFF0620B.jpeg 684961AA-DBE8-4990-94B0-50CCE15B6F56.jpeg
F2AC3E48-CFBF-4063-B200-1F4A796FCF61.jpeg 0D8D3CF9-5343-48E2-A341-FD890B58373C.jpeg 42750185-DAB5-4C8B-BB68-A790FDC35F49.jpeg 0014B1F5-66B3-423B-8C8C-EDD4196AD106.jpeg

Below was my first version of my ring. I didn’t like the diamonds sitting flush to the stones. This one was in u-prong and I was also going for minimal metal. I just wasn’t happy with it and I ended up paying for an entirely new setting which is how I ended up on PS 5 year’s ago. Everyone said my stones were going to be way too big in the halo but I had a vision for my ring and I still love it. I wish it photographed better because when I am wearing it, I see mostly a ball of sparkle although the renderings look heavy. I just wanted a very solidly built e-ring. In some lights you see the metal and in other lights it is just one big sparkle blob.
54959792-02D7-46DB-BE11-DED979F9D2FA.jpeg
Let’s hope you can get it worked out because I can still see the difference and I think the style is the problem.

Hi again, i would like to answer back, but I’m in the middle of moving. I love your ring and you hit the nail on the head, a scalloped basket and possibly bigger melees and maybe plain shank. Talk later.

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
Hi again, i would like to answer back, but I’m in the middle of moving. I love your ring and you hit the nail on the head, a scalloped basket and possibly bigger melees and maybe plain shank. Talk later.

No problem. I did want to clarify that my halo stones are 2.25 and not 2.5. They are 5 pointer’s and the band ended up being 3 mm diamond’s and I think 3.2.-3.3 in width. I had to go back and look.

I know this is frustrating but hopefully you can work it out before they do anything else to this. This is my 4th halo version so I really do understand. I couldn’t find any thread’s 5 year’s ago when I joined and rarely share my halo because most people are interested in smaller halo stones. I have always liked the scalloped look though because it Is floral. You might have to think about doing this custom if you are limited by what is available in the Stuller catalogue. This diamond needs to shine!

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I definitely see the difference and I totally understand what you’re going for. It has nothing to do with the size diamonds you’re using. The setting style itself just needs to be changed. Your ring has a lot of extra metal. It’s not a bad look...it’s just not the one you’re aiming for. I can see the excess metal in your CAD rendering as well. It doesn’t look as pronounced as the finished product but it is there.

CC55101B-75F7-4760-AE47-504132A8C6A9.jpeg

25CB545D-FF84-4219-BB44-FC80B15A8B8A.jpeg

Personally, I think you’re looking for something with shared prongs and a scalloped edge. This isn’t my ring but I think it’s a perfect example of what you’re looking for. The scalloped edge takes away any excess metal along the outside and lets the diamonds take center stage. The shared prongs mean the diamonds will be right next to each other (no big metal gaps there either). You will likely have to have this made custom. That’s the only way to ensure a no gap look.

A79CFFDC-8B34-4663-9EFE-3B933707318B.jpeg C1FEBBE2-889D-4342-B266-DADCFF5C0084.jpeg

I would have a very honest conversation with the jeweler you’re working with. I’m sure this whole thing has been equally frustrating for him/her. Trust me, they want you to be happy (and that’s very obvious as they’ve done 3 settings for you so far). However, I think it’s important that you find pictures of finished rings (not cad renderings) and show them to the jeweler. This isn’t a complicated ring style so once they know exactly what you want...they should be able to make it for you.

Sunshine812

Shiny_Rock
I definitely see the difference and I totally understand what you’re going for. It has nothing to do with the size diamonds you’re using. The setting style itself just needs to be changed. Your ring has a lot of extra metal. It’s not a bad look...it’s just not the one you’re aiming for. I can see the excess metal in your CAD rendering as well. It doesn’t look as pronounced as the finished product but it is there.

CC55101B-75F7-4760-AE47-504132A8C6A9.jpeg

Personally, I think you’re looking for something with shared prongs and a scalloped edge. This isn’t my ring but I think it’s a perfect example of what you’re looking for. The scalloped edge takes away any excess metal along the outside and lets the diamonds take center stage. The shared prongs mean the diamonds will be right next to each other (no big metal gaps there either). You will likely have to have this made custom. That’s the only way to ensure a no gap look.

A79CFFDC-8B34-4663-9EFE-3B933707318B.jpeg C1FEBBE2-889D-4342-B266-DADCFF5C0084.jpeg

I would have a very honest conversation with the jeweler you’re working with. I’m sure this whole thing has been equally frustrating for him/her. Trust me, they want you to be happy (and that’s very obvious as they’ve done 3 settings for you so far). However, I think it’s important that you find pictures of finished rings (not cad renderings) and show them to the jeweler. This isn’t a complicated ring style so once they know exactly what you want...they should be able to make it for you.

YES!! Exactly what I’m looking for, sooo pretty. Thank you for sharing this beautiful ring, now I get it.

I know this isn’t your ring, but do you have any additional info like oval stone size and melee size?

Thank you for reassuring me that I don’t need bigger melees.

I definitely think the scalloped effect is the way I need to go to get what I want, along with the shared prongs. Now you see what I mean when I say the render looks better because seeing less metal than the actual ring.

Not sure what is going to happen from here but I too hope we can get there.
I know I have been that pain in the rear client, but I’m very picky and want it perfect. I will look for some additional pictures of actual finished rings so I will have them ready. Cross my fingers they will agree to a 4th time.

Thanks again, I truly appreciate it.

Sunshine812

Shiny_Rock
No problem. I did want to clarify that my halo stones are 2.25 and not 2.5. They are 5 pointer’s and the band ended up being 3 mm diamond’s and I think 3.2.-3.3 in width. I had to go back and look.

I know this is frustrating but hopefully you can work it out before they do anything else to this. This is my 4th halo version so I really do understand. I couldn’t find any thread’s 5 year’s ago when I joined and rarely share my halo because most people are interested in smaller halo stones. I have always liked the scalloped look though because it Is floral. You might have to think about doing this custom if you are limited by what is available in the Stuller catalogue. This diamond needs to shine!

Hi again, finally I can answer back.

So your melees in your band/shank are bigger than the melees around your center stone In the halo? The top of the ring, the halo, is scalloped, but what do you call the sides, the shank, is it shared prong? It is a beautiful ring. Did you see the pic from @elle_71125 above, the beautiful oval with large melee stones? At least I know the oval looks good in that setting, scalloped setting. The size of melees are pretty close to what I envision.

I can’t believe this is your 4th rendition, so you do know what I’m going through too, are you done now? Are you good with the 4th? I too would like to know you are happy with your ring.

So we will see what happens, cross fingers, I’ll come back and let you all know.

Thanks again, really, thank you.

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
YES!! Exactly what I’m looking for, sooo pretty. Thank you for sharing this beautiful ring, now I get it.

I know this isn’t your ring, but do you have any additional info like oval stone size and melee size?

Thank you for reassuring me that I don’t need bigger melees.

I definitely think the scalloped effect is the way I need to go to get what I want, along with the shared prongs. Now you see what I mean when I say the render looks better because seeing less metal than the actual ring.

Not sure what is going to happen from here but I too hope we can get there.
I know I have been that pain in the rear client, but I’m very picky and want it perfect. I will look for some additional pictures of actual finished rings so I will have them ready. Cross my fingers they will agree to a 4th time.

Thanks again, I truly appreciate it.

I looked up the stats.
Center stone: 7.5 x 10.3
Diamonds melee: .11ct each for 1.32tcw (mm size not posted).

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
Hi again, finally I can answer back.

So your melees in your band/shank are bigger than the melees around your center stone In the halo? The top of the ring, the halo, is scalloped, but what do you call the sides, the shank, is it shared prong? It is a beautiful ring. Did you see the pic from @elle_71125 above, the beautiful oval with large melee stones? At least I know the oval looks good in that setting, scalloped setting. The size of melees are pretty close to what I envision.

I can’t believe this is your 4th rendition, so you do know what I’m going through too, are you done now? Are you good with the 4th? I too would like to know you are happy with your ring.

So we will see what happens, cross fingers, I’ll come back and let you all know.

Thanks again, really, thank you.

I did do larger diamonds in my band only because my halo was already 13.8 across and that is a pretty big diameter. I always felt it looked really balanced though. I think on an oval, you can get away with slightly larger diamond melee because it elongates the stone. It doesn’t always look as good on a round but you see oversized halo stone’s on oval gemstones all the time.

I love the one that Elle posted. They both are cathedral and I think it is possible to do the scalloped edge in that style or in the one that you already have. You need to go to 12 stones instead of 14 and I think that would be the right size. You can match your halo and band sizes if you want to keep it dainty. These super dainty bands were not the style 5 years ago so you might not want them as big as I have done or just keep the band plain if you prefer that look. I like the additional sparkle but your halo stones are going to be larger.

I had such a hard time describing what I wanted in the beginning too. The first halo I did was horrible through a local jeweler. It was expensive so I had to live with it for 7 years. Then I tried the u-prong and was hoping I could live with that but I just couldn’t get used to the center diamond sitting flush with the stones. After about 3 month’s, I bought a whole new setting and that was $5K down the drain a 2nd time for the e-ring & band. My finger size changed a bit in the last 5 years which is the only reason I had it cast again (same ring same jeweler). The only bit I changed with the 4th version was raising the head sightly but everything else I still love about it and I have had this design since 2015.

I had a solitaire for many years too but I like the extra finger coverage. I don’t think my halo detracts from the center because I am not trying to make the center look larger. The center was large enough on its own but I like the scalloped/floral effect of the halo. I don’t expect to change it at any point. There is nothing wrong with the other design’s you had but if you can get this fixed w/o investing a ton more money now, I say do it. I had to pay $1000’s of extra each time to change my e-ring and band with every version. If you are picky, it will nag at you and you won’t be able to enjoy your ring. I have learned to live with some of my other experimental designs but I really wanted my e-ring to feel right. I think you have a better idea of what you are looking for now.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You have a gorgeous diamond! Your latest halo setting is beautiful, but I do see the extra metal in both the render and the actual ring. It’s not a bad thing but it is clearly not the aesthetic you are looking for.
By now I do not think it’s reasonable to expert another try from the vendor. It’s probably frustrating and costly for the setter already.
By now it will help you to look at actual rings you like (like the one @elle_71125 posted above) instead of CAD renderings.
Personally I would go custom with David Klass. I am sure hè can make the ideal ring for you, based on the one @elle_71125 posted. And she can help you interpret his CAD’s as she has had many beautiful halo rings Made by him.

Sunshine812

Shiny_Rock
I looked up the stats.

Thank you for finding this additional information, I appreciate it.
BTW - love your ring in your Avatar, gorgeous!!

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium
755581[/ATTACH]

I was honestly having trouble seeing what you meant until @elle_71125 posted this. I think if you show Jon or another jeweler these pics, it should clear up the issue. Best of luck.

Sunshine812

Shiny_Rock
I did do larger diamonds in my band only because my halo was already 13.8 across and that is a pretty big diameter. I always felt it looked really balanced though. I think on an oval, you can get away with slightly larger diamond melee because it elongates the stone. It doesn’t always look as good on a round but you see oversized halo stone’s on oval gemstones all the time.

I love the one that Elle posted. They both are cathedral and I think it is possible to do the scalloped edge in that style or in the one that you already have. You need to go to 12 stones instead of 14 and I think that would be the right size. You can match your halo and band sizes if you want to keep it dainty. These super dainty bands were not the style 5 years ago so you might not want them as big as I have done or just keep the band plain if you prefer that look. I like the additional sparkle but your halo stones are going to be larger.

I had such a hard time describing what I wanted in the beginning too. The first halo I did was horrible through a local jeweler. It was expensive so I had to live with it for 7 years. Then I tried the u-prong and was hoping I could live with that but I just couldn’t get used to the center diamond sitting flush with the stones. After about 3 month’s, I bought a whole new setting and that was $5K down the drain a 2nd time for the e-ring & band. My finger size changed a bit in the last 5 years which is the only reason I had it cast again (same ring same jeweler). The only bit I changed with the 4th version was raising the head sightly but everything else I still love about it and I have had this design since 2015.

I had a solitaire for many years too but I like the extra finger coverage. I don’t think my halo detracts from the center because I am not trying to make the center look larger. The center was large enough on its own but I like the scalloped/floral effect of the halo. I don’t expect to change it at any point. There is nothing wrong with the other design’s you had but if you can get this fixed w/o investing a ton more money now, I say do it. I had to pay $1000’s of extra each time to change my e-ring and band with every version. If you are picky, it will nag at you and you won’t be able to enjoy your ring. I have learned to live with some of my other experimental designs but I really wanted my e-ring to feel right. I think you have a better idea of what you are looking for now.

Your ring is beautifully done and perfectly proportioned. Your 4th version did the trick for you, I love it.

I wonder how my Oval would look if I went to like say the next up size of melee 2.6mm?

I too love the one Elle posted, it gave me an Oval with large melees and scalloped edges to see that I like the scalloped. Do you think people would say my ring is a cocktail ring or cluster ring? I guess it doesn’t really matter as long as I love it. if I went bigger in halo stones, I’d probably do a plain band to not detract from the center and halo diamonds. I also would like to go back to RG seeing that I have a “K” and that shows a bit with the 14k WG X-1 that it’s currently set in.

Dainty band, yes the first time my E-ring was made the band was 1.8 and very thin for my size finger. It felt tiny and it was scratchy on the sides, not comfortable at all.

Yes, I have a better understanding of what I want now, I’m just hoping it can be fixed this one last time. I sent a message but no response as of yet, so we will see. I’ll keep you all posted.

Thanks again for all your comments and advice. Much appreciated

Sunshine812

Shiny_Rock
You have a gorgeous diamond! Your latest halo setting is beautiful, but I do see the extra metal in both the render and the actual ring. It’s not a bad thing but it is clearly not the aesthetic you are looking for.
By now I do not think it’s reasonable to expert another try from the vendor. It’s probably frustrating and costly for the setter already.
By now it will help you to look at actual rings you like (like the one @elle_71125 posted above) instead of CAD renderings.
Personally I would go custom with David Klass. I am sure hè can make the ideal ring for you, based on the one @elle_71125 posted. And she can help you interpret his CAD’s as she has had many beautiful halo rings Made by him.

Thank you for your advice. Yes, it’s clearly not the aesthetic I was looking for.
I’m hoping it can be fixed, Jonathan has been patient and has worked with me, but if he is not willing to do this, then I will have to figure out where to go from here. Possibly the mentioned names above. Elle provided great info and pic of what I want. You all have been very helpful.
Thanks again.

Sunshine812

Shiny_Rock
I looked up the stats.

Hi, do you happen to have a Oval with a halo that is close to 9 (8.91) x 6.5 (6.40)? Just for looks. Thank you

elizat

Ideal_Rock
I was thinking about your setting problem.

I think it's really how they are doing the halo. Your cad does show a metal plate, if you will and shared prongs. I have a ring that I don't think you will like as it's a very Victorian vibe but I'm showing you the halo and how it's built to demonstrate. Your goal is a more modern look, but just showing for the construction point.

IMG_20200525_105157.jpg IMG_20200525_105137.jpg IMG_20200525_105127.jpg IMG_20200525_105030.jpg

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was thinking about your setting problem.

I think it's really how they are doing the halo. Your cad does show a metal plate, if you will and shared prongs. I have a ring that I don't think you will like as it's a very Victorian vibe but I'm showing you the halo and how it's built to demonstrate. Your goal is a more modern look, but just showing for the construction point.

IMG_20200525_105157.jpg IMG_20200525_105137.jpg IMG_20200525_105127.jpg IMG_20200525_105030.jpg

I love this ring!

What’s the sapphire and the diamond mm’s for OP’s reference?
And mine- who are we kidding :)

elizat

Ideal_Rock
@Rfisher thanks!

The sapphire is 9.7 x 7 in the bezel by a rough measurement.

The oec halo- baby stones cut by Yoram- are 2.4 mm, I think, but it's hard to measure them set. I picked this up preloved. When I hit a prong, they are 2.8 mm. Each baby OEC had 5 tiny prongs. Hard to avoid hitting one!

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
@elizat wow, that is one really, really stunning ring! That setting is TDF and those baby OECs are yumm!!!

I do think we are embarking on a cluster journey by now. We are no longer talking halos. And BTW, yes with larger halo stones there will always be more metal so there had to be a misunderstanding here. OP perhaps you did not realize you were a cluster girl at heart! Or a scalloped halo, I love those too BTW.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm just going to repost this in case the OP didn't see it the first time.....

If you decide to go with Jon again - tell him you want shared prong. Not pave. In your ring, a plate has been cut with holes in it. The diamonds sit in the holes, and small prongs curve over the edges. In shared prong, there is no plate. There's either baskets with prongs, or just arms that become prongs. But no plate. That's the problem you're having.

And I agree - cluster. Yum. But do consider a plain band.

chamois

Brilliant_Rock
4C4FE517-FF12-428D-951F-978EAF299EFA.jpeg
I have been following your thread with interest. So sorry you are not completely happy with the way your ring has been set. Here is a pic (hopeless at taking pics) of mine, an older ring that I seldom wear now. It is much, much smaller than yours, centre oval is about .40ct, not sure of the melee size. I don’t see any metal showing between the oval and melee, due (I think) to it being a shared prong, basket setting. Not sure if this post will help you, but I hope you do get your dream ring.

Sunshine812

Shiny_Rock
On the hand:

IMG_20200525_105642.jpg

OMGosh, I love your ring! It is perfect! The halo looks beautiful! Ive not seen one like this before. The size of the halo diamonds are great. Love all the prongs that hold the center stone. So you said this is called a Victorian Vibe, is it scalloped or a cluster? Thanks so much for sharing.

Sunshine812

Shiny_Rock
@Rfisher thanks!

The sapphire is 9.7 x 7 in the bezel by a rough measurement.

The oec halo- baby stones cut by Yoram- are 2.4 mm, I think, but it's hard to measure them set. I picked this up preloved. When I hit a prong, they are 2.8 mm. Each baby OEC had 5 tiny prongs. Hard to avoid hitting one!

Thank you for the sapphire measurement, it’s bigger than mine, mine is 8.91 x 6.40, so my 2.2mms might be a little small, maybe I need 2.4mms. I love the no plate look.

Sunshine812

Shiny_Rock
@elizat wow, that is one really, really stunning ring! That setting is TDF and those baby OECs are yumm!!!

I do think we are embarking on a cluster journey by now. We are no longer talking halos. And BTW, yes with larger halo stones there will always be more metal so there had to be a misunderstanding here. OP perhaps you did not realize you were a cluster girl at heart! Or a scalloped halo, I love those too BTW.

Yes I agree with you, that ring is stunning. I also think that I’m either the cluster or the scalloped halo girl. Either one looks way better to me. So, yes we started with a halo, now turned cluster or possibly a scalloped halo. Thank you for weighing in!

elizat

Ideal_Rock
@Sunshine812 my ring is made by CvB Inspired Design. It's called the Delilah. I have had two of these settings now. One was a very pale pad sapphire I sold. This has a different frame for the diamonds than the pad did, I think. This reminds me of a frilly crinoline layer on the underside.

If you look at Caysie's Instagram and Etsy, and site, on this, you can see there are different methods of building the halo support.

If you like this style support, send her the photos. Look at her Instagram too and she will chat with you about how you can work the setting. Her work is very detail oriented and meticulous.

She has multiple halo- and cluster- designs if you like her aesthetic!

Sunshine812

Shiny_Rock
I'm just going to repost this in case the OP didn't see it the first time.....

If you decide to go with Jon again - tell him you want shared prong. Not pave. In your ring, a plate has been cut with holes in it. The diamonds sit in the holes, and small prongs curve over the edges. In shared prong, there is no plate. There's either baskets with prongs, or just arms that become prongs. But no plate. That's the problem you're having.

And I agree - cluster. Yum. But do consider a plain band.

Thank you for reposting!

I messaged Jon about sending the ring back one more time, to remake.
Looks like what I’ve been describing to you all and what I know now to be a cluster. I would also ask for a plain band and possibly 2.4mms in halo. Do you think RG or stay WG?

I think that is why he insisted I see the 3d rendition, so he could ship it to me and be done with me. He hasn’t answered back to my messages, so who knows how this ends?

I sure appreciate everyone trying to help me figure out what it was that i have been describing and what I really wanted, looks like it is a cluster or a scalloped ring.

So, I hope Jon can fix, but we will see...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results