shape
carat
color
clarity

opinions on a sapphire purchase

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How dark a person likes their gemstone is 100% personal but it sounds like it doesn't have enough saturation for you. Considering that the stone is shadowed and indoors, it's not all that bad a sapphire. I don't know the lighting condition of the other sapphire you saw on PS but she had sufficient indoor lighting and indirect sunlight always show sapphires at their best. If you don't like what you see outdoors, then I would keep looking for the right one.

eringnewbie

Rough_Rock
Thanks for passing along the jeff davies link. He does have a few that are catching my eye:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFZFX-8PRV4&feature=youtube_gdata_player

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBVr9vkmWIo&feature=youtube_gdata_player

How close are his videos and photos to real life. Obviously ideal lighting?
Chrono, thanks for the input. I like a medium dark bkue hue that's fairly saturated. The in store hand shot was a pretty stone but I guess it was a little too dark for me. Not bad though. And the price was great. Decisions decisions!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
eringnewbie|1381772125|3537573 said:
Thanks for passing along the jeff davies link. He does have a few that are catching my eye:

Chrono, thanks for the input. I like a medium dark bkue hue that's fairly saturated. The in store hand shot was a pretty stone but I guess it was a little too dark for me. Not bad though. And the price was great. Decisions decisions!

You are wise to consider Jeff Davies, as his sapphire prices have seemed good lately. I find him responsive to all my queries, so do not hesitate to reach out to him. He does not throw out the term "vivid" easily or often, so the fact that he describes them that way makes me pay attention. That said, remember that he does take his photos under strong lighting I believe of studio-style setup. My experience with these kind of photos is that they almost always mean that the stones in hand will be a tone darker and slightly less brilliant or intense of color. That would knock out the second one for me as I believe it would be too dark. As for the first video, can you ask him to assess how it looks in ambient light alone, like medium bright, indirect daylight? What I would want to know is whether it keeps its color, or in those situations, just looks darker with blue flashes of color. It sounds like you are looking for a stone that holds the blue in most lighting situations, so you may in fact find yourself looking for a well cut stone of medium tone with strong to vivid saturation...

carmen1

Shiny_Rock
eringnewbie|1381772125|3537573 said:

I've found his photos are fairly accurate, and he has posted a handshot on his facebook page of that 1.77 (I'm hoping he takes more of these, as in the past he has not been able to) - here it is:

He is very responsive and is usually willing to provide an AIGS brief upon request. I don't know if they are larger than you are looking for and he didn't post the prices, but the 3.03 and 3.09 cushion sapphires he has are worth a look too. He has handshots of both on his facebook page as well.

jd_177_vivid_royal_blue.jpg

eringnewbie

Rough_Rock
Carmen thanks! I did email him and im awaiting a response. It looks beautiful and id love to get more info!

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
eringnewbie|1381722000|3537289 said:
Thanks for the help. I have to admit its a little disheartening to feel like the color and stone performance I want is probably outside my budget. Almost makes me reconsider my choice of sapphire over diamond...almost!

So I'm sure most people would say this stone is too dark, the photo was taken under jeweler's lighting, but it's already set and if down the road I wanted to upgrade the stone they give you that option. Thoughts? As you can see the phone used to take the pic is casting a shadow on the ring but it still has some fun flashes of blue/violet.

I love this ring for it's entirety. Is this the look you are going for? Is an ornate setting important to you, or could you do a sapphire solitaire? The latter would give you more money towards the stone, but you may have your heart set on that classic sapphire and diamond halo look.

It may be _very_ difficult to find a sapphire you like to fit a setting you already have. Colored stones are much harder to find in fine colors than a D-E-F diamond. I would recommend you start with the stone you want, if color is important to you. You could set your stone in a simple solitaire setting now, and spend money later for a diamond halo.

eringnewbie

Rough_Rock
Pregcurious, I do have my heart set on a halo setting and I love the split shank for the finger coverage. Plus, in low light when the sapphire maybe becomes less vivid the diamonds can pick up the slack! :)

To those that suggested I speak with Jeff Davies, I really appreciate it. He's very forthcoming with information and even sent me some additional hand shots. I guess my last reservation about buying through him is the distance. He's in Thailand and I'm in California. Just worried if for some reason I don't love the gem, it may be expensive to return. The sapphire looks amazing in all the pics and video. Talking it over with my boyfriend to ease his mind on not only buying another stone online but purchasing outside of the states.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So I already know you'll think 5mm is probably to small. But the color of this 5mm cushion is eye popping! And it would probably leave you room in your budget for a well made double halo, like a fine Tiffany soleste style. I dont know what your budget is left for the setting. Just an idea though. I can imagine even on the small side the color might draw a whole lot of attention.

http://www.concavegems.com/detail.cfm?zNum=7301

(I am on the phone can't manage to post the exact link. Its about half way down the page

Eta or wait, the link might actually be to the stone I'm talking about.

eringnewbie

Rough_Rock
Hey everyone still on the fence about buying the sapphire. I think the color is tremendous per the pics he sent over but having a hard time with buying overseas. Anyone buy from him or another international vender and decided they wanted to return the stone? Was it expensive to get it back?

I think the color is lovely...what do you gem lovers think? Hopefully iys okay to post these here for a little further assistance!

Niel, thanks for locating that sapphire. While I think its very pretty its a little small for me.

screenshot_2013-10-14-18-42-19.png

screenshot_2013-10-14-18-42-31.png

screenshot_2013-10-14-18-42-35.png

carmen1

Shiny_Rock
eringnewbie|1381852238|3538068 said:
Hey everyone still on the fence about buying the sapphire. I think the color is tremendous per the pics he sent over but having a hard time with buying overseas. Anyone buy from him or another international vender and decided they wanted to return the stone? Was it expensive to get it back?

I think the color is lovely...what do you gem lovers think? Hopefully iys okay to post these here for a little further assistance!

Niel, thanks for locating that sapphire. While I think its very pretty its a little small for me.

I am not an expert by any means, but it does look lovely to me. I have purchased quite a few gemstones from Jeff, but I have never returned any. I don't think it would be that expensive to ship back to Thailand, but if it is a significant concern ask Jeff how he would recommend shipping it back and then call the carrier and request an estimate.

eringnewbie

Rough_Rock
Thats a good idea. I'll definitely reach out to him.

I guess my hang ups are international return, the B&M Store near us has a preset sapphire ring (the stone isnt as vibrant but the trade off is they have an upgrade policy and do all the maintenance for free), and finally having a loose stone we cannot obtain insurance on until we are about to set it. I'm just torn! The price is great on Jeffs stone and the color looks amazing but its hard to convience the bf we should pull the trigger. :)

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So I've bought and returned to Jeff as have others here. He ships incredibly quickly and you would receive it, if the Creek don't rise and all of that, probably within a week, since he sends more expensive stones with expedited delivery. To return it, he expects you to send it back Registered (which means you packing it all up and having every corner covered by USPS regulation brown sticky paper tape), which is the most protected way to go, with it placed under lock and key at all times. So the cost of return would be whatever method you choose, from first class (slower) to international express (fastest), and then the added cost of sending it Registered, which depends upon the country its being sent to. Thailand hopefully would be in the $16 - $24 range for Registered (then add your shipping). Does that help?

Its a hassle breaking in your PO, but if they are knowledgable already, or are quick learners, you won't be driven crazy. :o

livannie

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I don't know a lot or have a lot of experience with sapphires but I just wanted to say I think the one that is set in your last pictures is gorgeous. In my opinion, I don't think it looks too dark at all. I don't know what it looks like outdoors but in that picture it looks like it kind of glows, it looks mysterious, I guess that's my favorite kind of sapphire. :loopy:

eringnewbie

Rough_Rock
Minousbijoux, I looked on the usps site for more info about shipping to thailand and noticed restrictions on precious gems and jewelry.
http://pe.usps.com/text/Imm/tz_004.htm#ep1141939

Does this mean that if for some reason I sent the stone back and it was lost in the mail, even if I had insurance would they deny me because the package contained prohibited material? I've never shipped anything high value overseas and im very worried that it may get lost, stolen or intercepted by customs.

Xrisus

Shiny_Rock
I actually just returned 2 stones to Jeff (about 2 weeks ago), and he actually had me ship the stones to the UK. Took about 10-12 days from when I sent the stones until my refund to my bank account/credit card. It was no problem at all, just sent it via registered mail to the address he sent me. It could have been he was just in the UK at the time, but if he does have you return it to the UK, I had no problems at all.

eringnewbie

Rough_Rock
Hey everyone, so we came to the decision buying overseas would be too big of a hassle if we didn't love the gem when it arrived. Sad because the gem Jeff showed me is beautiful and he was very helpful.

Back to the drawing board....

I really keep thinking about the preset one I saw locally. And then my boyfriend mentioned maybe a Ruby would be better because they tend to hold color better or even a pink Sapphire. Colors outside of blue may lose some luster in other lighting conditions but they don't go so dark they are black.

Hmmmm.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
eringnewbie|1381866772|3538215 said:
Minousbijoux, I looked on the usps site for more info about shipping to thailand and noticed restrictions on precious gems and jewelry.
http://pe.usps.com/text/Imm/tz_004.htm#ep1141939

Does this mean that if for some reason I sent the stone back and it was lost in the mail, even if I had insurance would they deny me because the package contained prohibited material? I've never shipped anything high value overseas and im very worried that it may get lost, stolen or intercepted by customs.

Wow, did not know that! You are wise to be concerned for something of such value. I guess I would work that out in advance with Jeff? Maybe it would require another shipping method, like FedEx/DHL? Of course, many countries have prohibitions on things like stones but they are sent regardless, assuming they won't get lost and a claim (which, if prohibited would be disallowed) won't need to be made. I, too, have sent my share of stones back to Thailand, but I'm not sure I'd take the chance on a valuable sapphire. :confused: Again, talk to Jeff - he'll help you figure it out.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oops, I guess it helps to read to the end of the thread before posting, huh? :oops:

slksapphire

Shiny_Rock
i am so sorry to hear about your decision but totally understand. i have had to deal with the same in obtaining certificates.

if you are set on a colored stone, i suggest you stay with sapphire (blue or pink or any other variation) rather than switching your search to rubies. rubies are much rarer (especially in finer colors) and much more expensive, double or even more than double the price of comparable blue sapphires.

will continue to follow your search with interest. good luck

ETA: the local sapphire ring you mention would be of great interest to me even if it isn't perfect solely due to the upgrade plan (and possibly the maintenance if it covers loose/lost diamonds from the setting). i don't think i know of any colored stone vendors with an upgrade policy though of course i could be mistaken. how long has the vendor been in business?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
eringnewbie|1381945788|3538887 said:
Hey everyone, so we came to the decision buying overseas would be too big of a hassle if we didn't love the gem when it arrived. Sad because the gem Jeff showed me is beautiful and he was very helpful.

Back to the drawing board....

I really keep thinking about the preset one I saw locally. And then my boyfriend mentioned maybe a Ruby would be better because they tend to hold color better or even a pink Sapphire. Colors outside of blue may lose some luster in other lighting conditions but they don't go so dark they are black.

Hmmmm.

For YOU, what color would you like to see on your hand? I don't know if yellow is out of play, but there's, IMHO, a killer huge yellow round at gemfix. 9mm round that would make an amazing halo.

Here's one someone did recently. Mmmmm. But of course, yellow might not be for you. But just an option, as you're opening your options.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
eringnewbie|1381854913|3538097 said:
I guess my hang ups are international return, the B&M Store near us has a preset sapphire ring (the stone isnt as vibrant but the trade off is they have an upgrade policy and do all the maintenance for free), and finally having a loose stone we cannot obtain insurance on until we are about to set it. I'm just torn! The price is great on Jeffs stone and the color looks amazing but its hard to convience the bf we should pull the trigger. :)

What exactly are the requirements or conditions for the upgrade? I have never heard of a coloured stone upgrade but only diamond upgrade. Even then, the terms and conditions are usually spending 2x more or something similar.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
eringnewbie|1381945788|3538887 said:
And then my boyfriend mentioned maybe a Ruby would be better because they tend to hold color better or even a pink Sapphire. Colors outside of blue may lose some luster in other lighting conditions but they don't go so dark they are black.

Sadly, ruby is the same way as a blue sapphire. Both are corundum, by the way, meaning that they are the same gem type, only that one is blue and one is red. A lower quality ruby will darken and some will black out. Some will hold their colour better than others. Rubies are more difficult to purchase due to more extensive treatment (diffusion and clarity enhancement) and also far more expensive than blue sapphires.

eringnewbie

Rough_Rock
Chrono Thanks for the input. I knew rubies were more money but didn't realize they had the same color issues: but it makes sense.

At this point I assume we just buy locally even though it will cost more and stick with a blue sapphire.

In addition Chrono you are probably right about the upgrade policy. I'm not 100% sure it applies to gemstones. We will have to confirm. At the very least they will do cleanings and inspections for free.

I'll keep my eyes open for local sapphires online... maybe something will come along!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A thought just occurred to me as another potential option for you since you prefer to work locally. Your local vendor can call up stones from Palagems for you to review. I think they are a bit more expensive but it is essentially risk-free on your end. I don't know if your local vendor will charge you anything for shipping it back and forth though.

http://www.palagems.com/php/db_search.php?action=gemresults&actionType=advanced&Gem_Type=Sapphire&greater_less=&Total_Weight=&weight_low=&weight_high=&Shape_Cut=&length=&width=&Gem_Variety=Blue&No_of_Pieces=1&inventory_number=&submit=Find+All+Matches

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Langs has a good reputation, even if pricier than most. It is awesome that you can see their inventory first hand up close!

Mico

Brilliant_Rock
eringnewbie said:
Chrono thats awesome...I'll definitely look into pala.

I also was told a while ago by a local to look at Langs in SF where I live. They do a lot of estate pieces and art deco rings. I actually like that vintage feel depending on the ring.

http://www.langantiques.com/products/type/sapphire-rings

Lang antiques have some especially drool worthy pieces!

eringnewbie

Rough_Rock
I agree they have some drool worthy and out of my budget rings! I've walked by a few times and just starred at the window display! The one time my bf and I were in the are it was a sunday and they were closed...I've often thought about going without him!

I think this one is pretty. Not a halo but it has a fun vintage feel. Worth seeing in person. Its at the high end of the budget but couldnt hurt to look!

http://www.langantiques.com/products/item/30-1-5387

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
You should check out Joe Escobar Diamonds since you're in the Bay Area. They have some amazing colored stones and their very own colored stone expert, Ryan. I'd call and make an appointment if it's a trek for you guys. And I'd really only deal with Ryan, and give him fair warning as to what you're looking for before you meet with him. But really, worth a consideration.

http://www.escobardiamonds.com/

je_blues.jpg

eringnewbie

Rough_Rock
Frekechild, the set ring I showed earlier in the post is actually from Escobar! We went once earlier this year and met with Erik. He was very nice and helpful. Recently we had a very nice lady show us some loose stones. Maybe it wasn't her area of expertise but the ones she showed us weren't that great. Maybe its best to do one additional appointment with Escobar and meet Ryan. If we give him enough notice maybe he can pull/source so additional sapphires. Everything in their show room is lovely, but I hate how they wouldnt show us the stones in various lighting conditions. I had to walk over to the window and try my best to keep the spotlights off the gems while viewing in indirect sunlight. Not ideal!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results