shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions on a Regent Cut

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sdtincup

Rough_Rock
Okay...slowing taking in all the awesome info. here on this site (special thanks to Diane for her help thus far)! After a bit of studying, I think I''ve decided on a regent shape for my soon-to-be missus! She loves the old miner and cushion cuts (shapes), but there''s a far bit of quality lacking in some of the stones I''ve seen available online. I''ve already been in contact with Jonathan @ GOG and already am impressed with his candor, knowledge, and promptness. Here''s one I''m currently considering and I''d love to hear feedback from everyone with regards to the quality and also what people would guess is a fair price.

http://www.goodoldgold.com/regent_0_85ct_d_vs1.htm

Best I can tell from the more limited resources out there for regent shapes, it appears to be of very good quality. There are a couple other regents GOG has available, but many have medium blue flourescence...not sure if that''s worth overlooking or not at this point...sure sign of a newbie! lol Anyway...any help''s cool, I know there''s a vast pool of knowledge on this site!

Thanks,
sdtincup

10.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Nice..Regents are beautiful.

I wanted to chime in and say that I think you can also view other colors such as the G VS that has med blue fluor...it will make it appear whiter, most likely more like an E or F and it's got better optics:

http://www.goodoldgold.com/new_page_44.htm

than the D VS you were looking at . I don't like the white ring around the D VS on the idealscope image and this Bscope and IS image are better. Plus it would most likely be a tad cheaper due to the G instead of D color..and Regents are marked up anyway as it is...no need to pay for something you can't see !
1.gif
Plus with the med blue fluor...the G is a great option. I'm still looking around for more options for you....

I have an H VS Regent and trust me, it's WHITE and so charming. So I would not hesitate to drop that color at all IMO.

Also this option, F SI but I still like the G VS up above better in terms of numbers.
1.gif

http://www.goodoldgold.com/regent__83ct_f_si1.htm

diane5006

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Ho...have been travelling...I was like your GF and liked Old Mine and cushions too... I have my Grandmaas Old Mine and I love it...

Don't worry about the medium blue fluoro...not an issue...mine has Med blue and it is awesome...no issues...there is a section on it on GOG website (fluoro that is)

You are lucky to have more of a selection (albeit still limited) You could drop color if you want to...and go wiht the G or F...Jonathan will give you the info you need on either stone...and tell you what is better choice

I like the G better...but if you are not in a rush you can wait and see wha telse comes along...

I must admit I lov emy D...But I would have liked E/F too

sdtincup

Rough_Rock
You know...everyone here just rocks...love the advice I'm getting!!! I hadn't considered the G color one...I'd looked but had some concerns about the flouro and color. But it seems all the feedback I've been getting is that it's truly not a problem at all.

Jonathan is going to get me back some specifics with the two stones I'm looking at so hopefully that will help narrow it down even more...OR help me decide to wait it out a bit longer. However, I must say that I'm already far more impressed with the quality I'm looking at now vs. some of the other online dealers...if for no other reason than the honesty and total disclosure of ALL characteristics of the stones I'm looking at.

It does seem that for these particular stones, the brilliance is sooo good that the color would not be nearly as disconcerting as if I was looking at a lower quality stone with respect to light, etc.

Any opinions out there for size and such?? Stupid question I know...but it's not like I've done this before! lol I'd obviously love to get some huge rock for my girl, but I'm thinking this (the .87ct stone) would be a VERY nice engagement ring...especially in a setting with accent sapphires and diamonds.

Opinions??

Thank you guys, really do appreciate the comments and suggestions!!!
-sdtincup
rodent.gif

tomatoe

Brilliant_Rock
sdtincup, regents rule *lol*

anyway, the size of the rock that u will be buying for ur intended (to me), all comes down to how much u can afford at this point in time and how big/small her fingers are eg. a 1 ct b&m rb looks huge on my 4.75 finger.

unfortunately, due to the newness of regents, we dont have alot of choice when it comes to mixing and matching the size, colour and clarity choices as with other stones but i am sure that ur choice will blow her socks off anyway. as for flourescence, u can be assured that in the lower colours they will make the stone whiter
9.gif

gd luck and have fun!
5.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
I curious as too the price difference between them and RB.
I dont like fancy shapes much but the regent is the only one Id consider.

It will look awesome in a ring with sapphires and diamond accents.
Have you considered ruby? I think the red compliments the diamond greatly.

Just keep in mind that the regent needs an open setting to look its best so run the setting you like by Jonathan to make sure it will be ok.

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Oh gorgeous! I think that would be lovely choice. Unfortunately, I don't know how Regents price out and I also don't know what your budget is, or I'd be tempted to push toward that 1 carat Jonathan has listed. Whatever you decide is going to make her very happy I'm sure!

tomatoe

Brilliant_Rock
regents are priced about the same as H&A's
5.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes Regents are priced about the same as a RB H&A stone. A little expensive if you ask me, esp because their 'spread' in diameter is smaller than the same size RB H&A, but it's a brand thing and also an inventory thing IMO. Kind of like the 8*. But they sure are pretty.
2.gif

If your budget can afford it, I would hands down go bigger. But then again I am a bigger kind of gal.
2.gif
I have size 6 fingers so my 1.35c looking stone (7.15mm diameter) looks big but not ostentatious. What size fingers does your girl have? I would try to go at least for a 1c stone and then flank it with sapphires or something else. But you'd also be fine with something like .87 or around .90c.

How soon is Jonathan getting more Regents in? I would seriously consider that G color.
2.gif

sdtincup

Rough_Rock
Hey Mara!

I am considering going bigger...oh the madness of what to get! lol My girlfriend's previous ring size was 8 but has lost weight and thinks it might be smaller now (to what degree I'm not sure). Right now I'm definitely leaning towards the .87ct G based on some feedback I got yesterday from people. Jonathan was going to get back to me today with an exact price on that stone.

You bring up a good point, I wanted to ask him what other stocks he potentially could get his hands on. Currently he's also got a 1.01ct F VS2 (http://www.goodoldgold.com/regent_1_01ct_f_vs2.htm) that I may ask him about as well. My GF has already expressed that she'd love a larger stone if it came down to weighing other factors...but of course at the same time I want a really nice sparkler on her finger! She deserves to brag a bit and show it off! lol

As strange as it sounds...I was originally looking for more of a stock setting...there's plenty that I really like that would work perfectly...but of course they're sized for about a 1ct minimum for proper mounting. Anyway...keep the advice comin'...I dare say it truly takes a village!!
21.gif

-sdtincup

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have to say that I really like the G VS hands down over any of the 1c or around there stones numbers, pictures, reports. The G VS has a great IS image and also Bscope results, while the others have more 'typical' seeming results with fire at the high end of the Bscope, White Light lower...IdealScope images have a few rings of white leakage.

So I guess if I were choosing, I'd sacrifice a bit of size in order to get the best cut on this baby that I could. Possibly in the future an upgrade may be possible?
2.gif
Sounds like she's got big fingers...so she may get diamond shrinkage faster than most. Make sure those Sapphire side stones are large!
1.gif

sdtincup

Rough_Rock
Yeah...it's hard not to see the how that stone just excels in the scopes! I'm going to get with Jonathan for a price and pick his brain about anything else in the pipeline he may have access to. But really, that .87ct G is georgous! My GF's pretty athletic and between that and massage she's got a more muscular build...and a bigger ring size! lol And dare I ask what diamond shrinkage could be...should I start saving now? lol! Did you see the other post I had about looking for dealers and opinions on regent cuts? I posted a couple picks of a setting style I like...also I think it was Diane who posted a lot of cool setting pics also.

Another thing I'm thinking...is that a stone with these characteristics I don't think is going to appear especially small in comparison to a true 1ct. stone. I could be wrong of course...it's happened before!

-sdtincup

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree that the Regents tend to look larger than life...my .37c Regent pendant looks much bigger than I thought it would...maybe it's the fact that it's not quite round, not quite square...somehow it draws the eye more? Lots of sparkle too
2.gif

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
="padding-bottom:0;marginTop:0;marginBottom:0;">----------------
----------------[/quote]

Uh, Mara, is it set? Did I miss the thread with your pictures?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yeah I just realized that I only posted pix to the 'Mara' thread that Michelle started....I didn't create a new thread. The pictures are all in there, I just bumped it.
1.gif
Hopefully at some point I'll create a new one in the Show me the Ring (Pendant?) but I also am trying to see if I can get it shipped over to Garry or Jonathan to have them fix the horrible setting that the 'gorilla' created for it!
sad.gif

sdtincup

Rough_Rock
Hey everyone!

Just wanted to pass along an fyi that I've chosen to go with the .87ct VS1/G Regent that I'd been looking at and got a lot of positive feedback on. Thank you everyone for all the input and guidance on my first purchase, I'm feelin' pretty good with dealing with Jonathan and GOG and have faith I'm in very, very good hands as I go forward with appraisels, settings, etc.

Thank you!
-sdtincup
wavey.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
YAY! Please have Jonathan (and then yourself later!) post pictures of it so that we can all drool. Best of luck and let us know what happens with the setting!
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results