shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions on a Montana Sapphire

Hi! I'm going back and forth on what to get for my engagement ring. I had been leaning towards a 5 stone diamond ring, but am also considering a Montana sapphire solitaire. I'm posting here because I need some opinions on the sapphire I'm looking at.

I saw this stone on obsessedovergems but that vendor isn't listed in the vendor info in the pricescope post. Anyone have any experience with them?

The stone a really pretty teal colored 2.47 carat cushion cut that is very sparkly and clear looking. They are asking $5400 and I have no idea whether that is a reasonable price or not. I was going to email them and ask if it was treated at all after reading the newbee gemstone info thread (but honestly, even after they answer, I may not know what to make of how it should/would effect the price).

Here is a link to the stone as it ha a video which may help: https://www.obsessedovergems.com/product-page/2-47ct-montana-sapphire

Any thoughts?

1634823200851.png

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’d ask to see the stone on the back of the hand, in that same lighting environment (which I am guessing is bright natural indirect light)
Then again in multiple artificial lightings - indirect and direct.
As well as asking them to describe the color shift in their words.
if there’s no color shift - it’s a rare bird.
the shiftiness of these stones are key to know about - to make sure you know what you are getting and being happy with it.

as for this particular vendor - I don’t know
Any possibility of ordering an inexpensive stone to test the waters?
As for pricing - it’s been well discussed here about the pricing of Montana’s - it’s well worth reading. Whether it’s US based mining/lapidary economics or marketing.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you are a purist, note that some Montana sapphires are heated.

Second the suggestion from @Rfisher regarding checking out the colour shift. Many new to Montanas are taken aback by the sometimes dramatic shifts.

If you are a purist, note that some Montana sapphires are heated.

Second the suggestion from @Rfisher regarding checking out the colour shift. Many new to Montanas are taken aback by the sometimes dramatic shifts.

I was kind of excited about color shifting in general but will ask about how this stone does or doesn't do that... Thank you!

I’d ask to see the stone on the back of the hand, in that same lighting environment (which I am guessing is bright natural indirect light)
Then again in multiple artificial lightings - indirect and direct.
As well as asking them to describe the color shift in their words.
if there’s no color shift - it’s a rare bird.
the shiftiness of these stones are key to know about - to make sure you know what you are getting and being happy with it.

as for this particular vendor - I don’t know
Any possibility of ordering an inexpensive stone to test the waters?
As for pricing - it’s been well discussed here about the pricing of Montana’s - it’s well worth reading. Whether it’s US based mining/lapidary economics or marketing.

Thank you--all really helpful. I am now reading through some past links on Montanas and pricing.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I never heard of that vendor, but if you want to compare prices, earthstreasury.com specializes in Montana’s. I think the prices skyrocket over two carats because they tend to be small in size.

There appears to be a teal color shift in that stone, which may or may not appeal to you.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@RingRingRingRingRing
One suggestion.
gemfix has an sizeable montana selection, along with great photo vs video for perception
Along with each one (mostly) he gives written description of the color shift.

it’s worth going through each one of his inventory to read his descriptions of the color shifts and see the picture vs the video.
I know it would take a lot of time for him to include pictures in his listings of the color shifts too - but that would be asking too much.

I never heard of that vendor, but if you want to compare prices, earthstreasury.com specializes in Montana’s. I think the prices skyrocket over two carats because they tend to be small in size.

There appears to be a teal color shift in that stone, which may or may not appeal to you.

Thank you -- that helps! I do like the teal color shift.

@RingRingRingRingRing
One suggestion.
gemfix has an sizeable montana selection, along with great photo vs video for perception
Along with each one (mostly) he gives written description of the color shift.

it’s worth going through each one of his inventory to read his descriptions of the color shifts and see the picture vs the video.
I know it would take a lot of time for him to include pictures in his listings of the color shifts too - but that would be asking too much.

Okay thank you. Am having a look there too though I don't think I saw any with the same cut (and am still familiarizing myself with all the cuts).

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I didn’t really mean go there specifically for an alternative to the stone you picked.

I meant as a learning tool of relative ease to see already listed there how many teals shift and verbal descriptions to what they shift to, and of still shot photos compared to hand shot videos.
Does the teal shift to silver, lose blue, go army/sage green, go dilute, or have little shift. Soo many variations of what they do. This info is already there on the gemfix site, without having to ask. It’s a resource.
how much time you spend in indirect bright natural light of the glamour shot teal color is something to take into consideration.

Okay thank you. Am having a look there too though I don't think I saw any with the same cut (and am still familiarizing myself with all the cuts).

Last edited:
I didn’t really mean go there specifically for an alternative to the stone you picked.

I meant as a learning tool of relative ease to see already listed there how many teals shift and verbal descriptions to what they shift to, and of still shot photos compared to hand shot videos.
Does the teal shift to silver, lose blue, go army/sage green, go dilute, or have little shift. Soo many variations of what they do. This info is already there on the gemfix site, without having to ask. It’s a resource.
how much time you spend in indirect bright natural light of the glamour shot teal color is something to take into consideration.

Ah, got it! That makes sense. You were pointing out looking at the lighting differences....

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results