shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions on 3 carat upgrade

bettymac

Shiny_Rock
I haven't posted here in a really long time, but I continue to read this forum everyday. I've learned so much over the years. Probably just enough to know I don't know enough. I'm celebrating my 36th anniversary this year and we've decided to trade in my current diamond for a 3 carat. The stone I think we like best is an AGS 000/H. It scores a 1.9 on the HCA scale (even though I've read you don't have to use that tool for AGS stones, I plugged the numbers in anyway). Below are the specs. I was hoping some of you might let me know if you think this is a good stone. It's a big purchase and I'm a little nervous. Thought maybe you could calm my nerves. :angel:

3.013 carats/H color
61.9 depth
35.1 Crown Angle
40.8 Pavillion Angle
57.8 Table
Negligible Florescence
Pointed Culet

Thank you for any opinions. They are greatly appreciated!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Happy anniversary! We are a couple of years ahead of you! I think the diamond sounds great! Do you have any pictures of it? What is the clarity?

bettymac

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for responding, DiamondSeeker. Sounds like you have been married a long time too! I did not take pictures of the stone but I do have a copy of the AGS report. It is VS2 in clarity. We could not see inclusions without magnification. We looked at about 8 stones in total, narrowing it down to 2 AGS stones today. We liked this one because it had a smaller table and a better looking arrow pattern. It's been so long since we've bought a diamond that I was just looking for reassurance that this one would be a winner. I really appreciate your feedback!

bettymac

Shiny_Rock
Hmm, I was just comparing dimensions between our top two contenders. Our favorite stone has smaller dimensions than the one we decided against yesterday. Here are the dimensions on our top pick: 9.29-9.24x5.72 mm.

Our second choice dimensions: 9.38-9.42x5.67mm. The table on this stone was 59.7 which I didn't love.

Do you think our top pick dimensions are ok? I was looking at the chart for 3 carat diamonds and it shows dimensions at an average of 9.40. Does the slightly smaller dimensions on our top stone mean it's not facing up like a 3 carat should?

Thanks for any help you can give me. it's such a large purchase and my dream sized stone, I worry about making a mistake. There will be no upgrade later.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, yours faces up like it should. The other is cut to have a large table and less depth and that is why it has a little better spread (diameter). But the vast majority of super ideal cut stones we see here have measurements more like yours. So it is absolutely fine! My personal limit on tables is 58. VS2 is a great choice, too! I hope you will come back and show us your new ring!!!

bettymac

Shiny_Rock
I will definitely come back and show pictures of my new diamond. I think it will be in a temporary setting for a while until I can find a setting I really like. I'm looking for a nice solitaire setting, maybe the Tiffany type style I've seen on Whiteflash.

Diamondseeker, thank you so much for taking the time to offer your advice. I never thought I would get so nervous about this purchase but even at my age, it's a big investment and the second guessing started the minute I finally made a choice and put a diamond on hold. I really appreciate you taking the time to help me out. : )

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I totally understand because I came here myself looking for a diamond for our anniversary several years ago! It is a huge decision! But you are looking at a nice diamond, so you are doing really well so far!

bettymac

Shiny_Rock
Diamondseeker, you have really helped me with this purchase. Thank you for taking the time. I will post pictures once I get this stone set. Thank you again!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results