shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions on 2ct GIA H VS2 antique peruzzi?

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can’t see the carbon spots, it’s lovely! My only concern is the depth.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I think it’s beautiful and a great price. The depth may bother me, as you lose the beautiful Maltese cross that is characteristic of the peruzzi. But this comes down to personal preference

This is not as good of a deal, and it’s very tinted, but I actually prefer the cut on this one

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it’s beautiful and a great price. The depth may bother me, as you lose the beautiful Maltese cross that is characteristic of the peruzzi. But this comes down to personal preference

This is not as good of a deal, and it’s very tinted, but I actually prefer the cut on this one

Wow! Stunning find!

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
last things to consider for the stone you’re looking at, I personally wouldn’t care about carbon inclusions but I’m maybe not like other PSers about clarity. But even you have even an inkling of nagging doubt, once you fixate on inclusions I feel there is no going back

But beyond my comments about the cut, which to me is the biggest priority…more practically, this stone is going to sit very tall off the finger given the face up size. Like, as tall off the finger as a 3.5-4 carat old mine cut. (Mine is 3.5 carats and is almost the exact same height at 6.12mm with 69% depth). This peruzzi is truly a little square!

If you have a ring holder, I’d see what that feels like for you and if you like how that looks from the side. If you’re clumsy and want an exposed girdle, that’s a bad combo. I also have a fragile girdle in my OMC, I’d steer clear of setting styles that won’t keep it well protected. Leen heyne would make me nervous bc he exerts a huge amount of pressure to create his rings - they are essentially set through tension. And it would leave a significant percentage of the girdle totally exposed. I didn’t think about this stuff as much when I bought my stone, but I wish I had consciously let it sink in how much that limits the setting options.

Given the shape of your stone, I believe a lot of setting options will be limited, not just because of the girdle, but the shape of the stone being SO square can create some awkward profiles IMO. I’d personally only entrust a stone like this so someone who really knows antiques and has a good eye for design, and a hand forged ring is going to be the best way to closely protect the girdle and deal with the asymmetry that is common for antiques. But the styles you liked with the chunky tab prongs and basket coming right up under the girdle would be perfect I bet.

Also I’m not a jeweler obviously, it’s just based on my experience selecting settings for my own antiques, adding my 2 cents. so hoping others with more expertise chime in

Last edited:

Artemisia

Rough_Rock

I LOVE Pebble & Polish and their eye. The owner has been really transparent and forthcoming in the two times I've inquired about a ring. There's a rose cut ring with a metal laurel wreath halo that I've been thinking about for at least a year now, or for however long they've had it. I also love this setting and how architectural the details are - was very tempted - but my concern was that I am also yellow/olive tinted and didn't think it'd be a flattering color: https://pebbleandpolish.com/product...-a-gia-1-50-carat-old-mine-cut-diamond-center.

That stone is gorgeous - the cross! I need to figure out if purer yellow/brown tints in lower colors work for me.

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
More photos/video, pardon the smudging:

41B0A66B-12FE-47A1-9913-9D2381F36A4E.jpeg

F4DED145-E6D3-464F-A7CC-6AEEF03FC055.jpeg
Oh, I like that very much. :love:
I don't care about the carbon spots. They don't distract at all.
Without the height/depth it wouldn't be a Peruzzi, that's the main difference between this and a squared old mine cut. Those steep angles are it's hallmarks, so for a Peruzzi- it's a good one. They don't come up that often, you're very lucky to get to decide!

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I LOVE Pebble & Polish and their eye. The owner has been really transparent and forthcoming in the two times I've inquired about a ring. There's a rose cut ring with a metal laurel wreath halo that I've been thinking about for at least a year now, or for however long they've had it. I also love this setting and how architectural the details are - was very tempted - but my concern was that I am also yellow/olive tinted and didn't think it'd be a flattering color: https://pebbleandpolish.com/product...-a-gia-1-50-carat-old-mine-cut-diamond-center.

That stone is gorgeous - the cross! I need to figure out if purer yellow/brown tints in lower colors work for me.

yeah, this is a pretty one too. it depends on how color sensitive you are. J is probably not going to read immediately as tinted, tbh

both of these P&P stones are more like squared OMCs. i dunno exactly the distinction, but...maybe someone else does. it depends on what flavor you're after, as they have different attitudes, so to speak

but the table facets being off center on the J actually annoys me more than carbon inclusions or tint :lol: , but i like a fair amount of symmetry in my old cuts and i love a tint. but that obvious facet asymmetry, that would be a dealbreaker for me personally....

the O-P peruzzi/OMC (whatever you wanna call it) appears to be a pure yellow, versus a brown or greenish stone. it'll read a "creamy" or "vanilla" - to me, this is tint is the ideal in the lower colors (i also have a penchant for grey, but it's extremely rare, ive only seen one old cut in a pure steely grey)...if you know how you look in a cream color or ivory, that's a good indication

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Oh, I like that very much. :love:
I don't care about the carbon spots. They don't distract at all.
Without the height/depth it wouldn't be a Peruzzi, that's the main difference between this and a squared old mine cut. Those steep angles are it's hallmarks, so for a Peruzzi- it's a good one. They don't come up that often, you're very lucky to get to decide!

ahh well, there ya have it. the depth is the distinction!

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
More photos/video, pardon the smudging:

41B0A66B-12FE-47A1-9913-9D2381F36A4E.jpeg

F4DED145-E6D3-464F-A7CC-6AEEF03FC055.jpeg

it's really a pretty one. love that it's nestled in a paper crane ;-)

agree with @ItsMainelyYou - those carbon inclusions don't do anything to hurt the beauty of this stone for me personally - do you find your eye being drawn to them at all @Artemisia?

ugh and its SO white! yummmm. a near colorless peruzzi is a very rare combo.

i actually love it against the yellow gold too - the contrast is super pretty

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
it's really a pretty one. love that it's nestled in a paper crane ;-)

agree with @ItsMainelyYou - those carbon inclusions don't do anything to hurt the beauty of this stone for me personally - do you find your eye being drawn to them at all @Artemisia?

ugh and its SO white! yummmm. a near colorless peruzzi is a very rare combo.

i actually love it against the yellow gold too - the contrast is super pretty

Yup, yup, yup. I echo all of this.
It's exciting as you really don't see them too often!

Artemisia

Rough_Rock
I knew as soon as I saw it that I would have to be talked out of keeping it! I'm glad I'm not alone in finding it lovely.

I don't mind or notice the carbon spots at all. I actually kind of like them? As ridiculous as that might sound. Little fingerprints. I had to hold the stone up to the light and look close and carefully to see them, which isn't going to happen in daily wear.

I love the depth and the shape and the stone's dimensionality. It's a stone! It's close to how it looked when nature finished her work!

Thank you @Cerulean for your thoughtful comments on how the depth changes what kinds of settings would be most practical. Do you think a buttercup would be too unprotected, or do you have other setting styles that you'd suggest? I'd like to be able to see the profile and the Pebble & Polish inspiration setting with the basket that comes up to a faux-bezel would obscure that view, even with the cutouts. Unrelated, I love the Unicorn Tapestries as well!

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I knew as soon as I saw it that I would have to be talked out of keeping it! I'm glad I'm not alone in finding it lovely.

I don't mind or notice the carbon spots at all. I actually kind of like them? As ridiculous as that might sound. Little fingerprints. I had to hold the stone up to the light and look close and carefully to see them, which isn't going to happen in daily wear.

I love the depth and the shape and the stone's dimensionality. It's a stone! It's close to how it looked when nature finished her work!

Thank you @Cerulean for your thoughtful comments on how the depth changes what kinds of settings would be most practical. Do you think a buttercup would be too unprotected, or do you have other setting styles that you'd suggest? I'd like to be able to see the profile and the Pebble & Polish inspiration setting with the basket that comes up to a faux-bezel would obscure that view, even with the cutouts. Unrelated, I love the Unicorn Tapestries as well!

I'm so excited for you! If you knew it was love at first sight, that's 'nuff said! And I'm with you on inclusions. I sorta find them fascinating.

As far as settings go...it's tough, and I don't have a silver bullet solution. It also comes down to your risk tolerance, your aesthetic preferences and your own lifestyle.

I'm too nervous to expose too much of the girdle, and my stone is an SI1 with some inclusions/cavities perilously on the edge of the stone. I'm not the best at reading plot charts (and appreciated inclusions that matter or don't) - but mine is sorta similar to yours (except worse, lol).

So, a lot of buttercup settings are 6 prongs, and really flare out, leaving the girdle unprotected. Is 6 prongs with exposed girdle fine? Could be! Might not be, too! If your stone was totally clean at the edges, it may be less problematic. But it's got some action in the plot chart, in addition to a crispy girdle.

Some ideas
I actually think this is a very cool, modern take on a buttercup...and it would protect more, sorta like a halo. It looks like a pretty small stone, so you could easily carve out more of the petals and have them come up a little higher to get a better profile view. This and the next are from here

Screen Shot 2023-02-15 at 5.01.40 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-02-15 at 5.02.10 PM.png

This ultra prongy ring from Platt Boutique...would protect plenty!
j_17059642_1663743844289_bg_processed.jpg

1676502834812.png
Or something sleek and modern, where there is a bar sort of hugging the underside of the girdle. I think the pave is too fussy, but that's just me.

Screen Shot 2023-02-15 at 5.02.36 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-02-15 at 5.03.51 PM.png

I also think this stone would be really beautiful in a bezel like this J Albrecht ring, but it depends on what you like.

Screen Shot 2023-02-15 at 5.04.52 PM.png Screen Shot 2023-02-15 at 5.05.17 PM.png

Hancocks does a lot of vintage looking settings, like this one...you can see there is a bar wrapping around under the girdle. Might need to creep up higher for your stone, but you get the idea.

Screen Shot 2023-02-15 at 5.09.05 PM.png

Caysie at CVB Designs...queen of the faux bezel. She's got a ton of different takes on this look. I am SURE she could cook up something to show off the profile.

Screen Shot 2023-02-15 at 5.11.04 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-02-15 at 5.12.03 PM.png

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm so excited for you! If you knew it was love at first sight, that's 'nuff said! And I'm with you on inclusions. I sorta find them fascinating.

As far as settings go...it's tough, and I don't have a silver bullet solution. It also comes down to your risk tolerance, your aesthetic preferences and your own lifestyle.

I'm too nervous to expose too much of the girdle, and my stone is an SI1 with some inclusions/cavities perilously on the edge of the stone. I'm not the best at reading plot charts (and appreciated inclusions that matter or don't) - but mine is sorta similar to yours (except worse, lol).

So, a lot of buttercup settings are 6 prongs, and really flare out, leaving the girdle unprotected. Is 6 prongs with exposed girdle fine? Could be! Might not be, too! If your stone was totally clean at the edges, it may be less problematic. But it's got some action in the plot chart, in addition to a crispy girdle.

Some ideas
I actually think this is a very cool, modern take on a buttercup...and it would protect more, sorta like a halo. It looks like a pretty small stone, so you could easily carve out more of the petals and have them come up a little higher to get a better profile view. This and the next are from here

Screen Shot 2023-02-15 at 5.01.40 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-02-15 at 5.02.10 PM.png

This ultra prongy ring from Platt Boutique...would protect plenty!
j_17059642_1663743844289_bg_processed.jpg

1676502834812.png
Or something sleek and modern, where there is a bar sort of hugging the underside of the girdle. I think the pave is too fussy, but that's just me.

Screen Shot 2023-02-15 at 5.02.36 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-02-15 at 5.03.51 PM.png

I also think this stone would be really beautiful in a bezel like this J Albrecht ring, but it depends on what you like.

Screen Shot 2023-02-15 at 5.04.52 PM.png Screen Shot 2023-02-15 at 5.05.17 PM.png

Hancocks does a lot of vintage looking settings, like this one...you can see there is a bar wrapping around under the girdle. Might need to creep up higher for your stone, but you get the idea.

Screen Shot 2023-02-15 at 5.09.05 PM.png

Caysie at CVB Designs...queen of the faux bezel. She's got a ton of different takes on this look. I am SURE she could cook up something to show off the profile.

Screen Shot 2023-02-15 at 5.11.04 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-02-15 at 5.12.03 PM.png
This post is like a masterclass in beautiful but protective settings! :kiss2:

I’m intrigued to see your stone set @Artemisia - what an exciting journey!

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
This post is like a masterclass in beautiful but protective settings! :kiss2:

I’m intrigued to see your stone set @Artemisia - what an exciting journey!

I've done a lot of sleuthing, and @yssie has given me some great suggestions for my own stone, too!

Artemisia

Rough_Rock
@Cerulean, thank you so much for the list of constraints and settings to consider! It might be a while before I get this stone set as I'm wildly undecided between the beautiful setting designs I've collected in my inspiration folder over the years...

I love that first thorny buttercup. That split shank is unreal. Thought I'd put the screenshots of everything else I'm considering (a lot) for everyone's viewing delectation.

Other buttercup styles besides the one in my initial post and the Dawn Jewellery setting
  • No stone in the setting, but an example of an octofoil buttercup with beautiful curves to each crescent
1676666014911.png
  • Quatrefoil! Not sure if it'd be possible to engineer a version of this that keeps the profile visible underneath, though.
1676664273876.png

Other non-buttercup styles I had saved that might work:
  • I love how cleanly and minimally an air gap plain metal bezel frames a stone and I imagine this would retain the protectiveness of a bezel if I didn't want to cover the girdle, with the tradeoff being losing that profile view. Is it possible to combine this with a visible profile? Maybe not.
1676664533987.png

1676663771502.png
  • More sculptural bands and bezel shapes that I think could be adapted to a design that shows off the profile. Love the prongy Platt ring!
1676664753539.png

1676663733921.png

1676664097556.png
  • That J Albrecht bezel is so sculptural! Made me think of this Leen Heyne ring, which I recognize won't work for a stone this chunky, but adding this and the Hancocks ring just because I love the roundness of the wire in these two.
Leen-Heyne-Portrait-Ring-1_5d099750-2ab3-4c4b-ae67-a6885ae42c13.jpg

1676665203780.png

Last edited:

Artemisia

Rough_Rock

To be totally honest, I have no idea how to read a plot chart. My only two criteria are "do these inclusions interfere with the look of the diamond" (no for me, yes for some) and "do these inclusions structurally compromise the diamond," but I'm not sure on the latter. Is there anything super concerning that I should take into account when designing the setting or flag to whoever sets it?

1676666264244.png

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
This buttercups are scrumptious! I love the Andrea Capello so much

I had an idea - what if you slipped a bar beneath the buttercup? Sorta like this crown setting with a bar below the girdle

6C66EB84-C6F6-4DD4-B1F4-615F346ED920.jpeg

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
To be totally honest, I have no idea how to read a plot chart. My only two criteria are "do these inclusions interfere with the look of the diamond" (no for me, yes for some) and "do these inclusions structurally compromise the diamond," but I'm not sure on the latter. Is there anything super concerning that I should take into account when designing the setting or flag to whoever sets it?

1676666264244.png

The action along the edges is what concerns me (in addition to the very thin girdle) but I am NOT a pro at reading plot charts. Hopefully someone else chimes in

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Soooo I really wasnt going to choose a regular round (except for #5 with the thick arrows), but omg. I dont think I've seen a stone this perfect outside of super ideals in a while

Sorry, OP! Ps is being weird on my phone and somehow duplicated a post from another thread that I had saved as a draft.

What I meant to write here was that I love quatrefoil settings and think it would be lovely for your stone!

Artemisia

Rough_Rock
Aretemesia, did you buy this diamond? If you've settled on it, I'd like to ask where you got it. Because . . . now I want one.

I did! I bought it from Rita on the Rocks. I hope she finds you another, I am excited every day by this rock’s quiet twinkles and almost Brutalist shape.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results