shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions on 2 Asscher diamonds from JA

123deleteme

Rough_Rock
Ive been lurking here and reading as many Asscher posts as possible and right now Ive chosen these two stones as my current favorites. The first one was recommended previously by Karl in another thread.

This will be set on a 18k White Gold Pave Cathedral with Claw Prong Basket also from JA.

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/I-VS2-Ideal-Cut-Asscher-Diamond-1354593.asp
1.03 Carat I-VS2 Ideal Cut Asscher Diamond
Depth: 66.9%
Table: 65.0%

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/E-VS2-Ideal-Cut-Asscher-Diamond-1424525.asp
0.92 Carat E-VS2 Ideal Cut Asscher Diamond
Depth: 68.4%
Table: 55.0%

Requested ASET and Crown height info for both. How do these two look? This will be my first diamond purchase and Im hoping that when it is all finished that this engagment ring will look stunning :love:

Thank you in advance!

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I'm no asscher expert, but I definitely prefer the cut on the one Karl recommended because of the thicker windmills. E to I is a big color jump though.

E B

Ideal_Rock
jstarfireb|1318884912|3042246 said:
E to I is a big color jump though.

Agreed. Apparently, warmth is more obvious in step cuts, so that's something to keep in mind. Is this for yourself or someone else? What budget are you hoping to stay at?

123deleteme

Rough_Rock
E B|1318886219|3042261 said:
jstarfireb|1318884912|3042246 said:
E to I is a big color jump though.

Agreed. Apparently, warmth is more obvious in step cuts, so that's something to keep in mind. Is this for yourself or someone else? What budget are you hoping to stay at?

This is for my girlfriend of 6 years. My total budget is about $5500. Setting is $1570, leaving about $4000 to spend on the stone. The PS discount at JA will help. Looking to keep it around 1ct.

I know the budget on the stone is not the best for a top notch asscher cut. But I think there can still be some nice looking cuts around this price point (hopefully).

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I am not a fan of the tiny windmills but they can look nice if someone likes them.
You do however lose some sparkle in direct lighting because of the lack of med and small virtual facets.
Overall it is less balanced.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

ndtyler333

Rough_Rock
I can help you out a bit, I was looking at that first stone from James Allen. I spoke to them about it several times. Could be a very nice stone...

ASET
James%20Allen.jpg

SARIN
1354593sarin.jpg

123deleteme

Rough_Rock
E B|1318890657|3042303 said:
shocking- Would you consider a slightly less expensive setting to put a little more $ toward the diamond, or is that THE setting? :))

Thats THE one the future Mrs. wants :)

ndtyler333|1318919117|3042572 said:
I can help you out a bit, I was looking at that first stone from James Allen. I spoke to them about it several times. Could be a very nice stone...

Thank you! Im hoping one of the experts can help me interpret these images and stats a little better.

123deleteme

Rough_Rock
Received a few more images
Diamond #1 (ASET and SARIN above)
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/I-VS2-Ideal-Cut-Asscher-Diamond-1354593.asp
1.03 Carat I-VS2 Ideal Cut Asscher Diamond
Depth: 66.9%
Table: 65.0%
1_38.jpg
http://www.jamesallen.com/DiamPics/BB541-036pic.jpg

Diamond #2 (awaiting ASET and SARIN)
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/E-VS2-Ideal-Cut-Asscher-Diamond-1424525.asp
0.92 Carat E-VS2 Ideal Cut Asscher Diamond
Depth: 68.4%
Table: 55.0%
2_33.jpg
http://www.jamesallen.com/DiamPics/AWZWG000895pic.jpg

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I still like the first one better than the second. But have you looked into the 0.96 G/VVS1 suggested by EB? It could be a contender.

123deleteme

Rough_Rock
jstarfireb|1319076855|3043927 said:
I still like the first one better than the second. But have you looked into the 0.96 G/VVS1 suggested by EB? It could be a contender.

I did look at it, it is about $1000 over my budget, if it is that much better then the other choices (seems like the 1st diamond is the main one out of the 2 so far) then I might be willing to increase my budget to get the other stone. More opinions needed lol

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I'm not an expert, but the pic is most pleasing to me out of the three, which is why I mentioned it. I think Karl said he can help more if you get an ASET. G is a really nice color. But VVS1 is something of clarity overkill, and it faces up a tad small at 5.3mm.

Otherwise the I is really nice. My stone is an I color, by the way, so I have nothing against I color in general. Just that people who are more color-sensitive might be a little averse to it.

ETA: Also, I tried to search JA for more options, but for some reason I can't seem to search asschers. Every time I click "asscher" in the search, it gives me radiants. Perhaps that's why there aren't more suggestions?

123deleteme

Rough_Rock
jstarfireb|1319084157|3043999 said:
Otherwise the I is really nice. My stone is an I color, by the way, so I have nothing against I color in general. Just that people who are more color-sensitive might be a little averse to it.

ETA: Also, I tried to search JA for more options, but for some reason I can't seem to search asschers. Every time I click "asscher" in the search, it gives me radiants. Perhaps that's why there aren't more suggestions?

Jstarfireb thanks for your input and help. In JA all the asschers come up under squares when I search so try that. I think that .96 G stone is just out of my budget. I received and email back from JA with the Asets of the stones. Their gemologists recommends stone 1424525 (smaller windmills). Ill post their reply and images:

Thank you for your patience while waiting for the ASET images of diamonds 1424525 and 1354593. I've attached them to this email for your review.

We've taken the liberty of having these diamonds inspected by one of our graduate gemologists and I'm happy to say that diamond 1424525 is a great option. This diamond is very bright and has a gorgeous sparkle. As you would expect, it is icy white and faces perfectly eye clean. The ASET images don't support that diamond 1424525 is the brighter diamond but the gemologist has confirmed with me that when inspecting these diamonds side by side, diamond 1424525 is by far the diamond with better light performance. This diamond's crown height is 16.2%.

Diamond 1354593 has average light performance and isn't quite as bright at diamond 1424525. It is completely eye clean, faces warmer in color, and appears slightly larger in size. Its crown height is 14.01%.

As the brighter and whiter option, diamond 1424525 is our gemologist's favorite. I believe you'll be pleased with its light performance and overall beauty when you see it in person..

1424525aset.jpg 1354593aset.jpg

Confused now :confused:

E B

Ideal_Rock
Hi shocking,

I recommended the .96 G, VVS1 because another vendor is asking $4290 for the same stone, so if it was impressive, it was juuust out of budget and might be worth it to you if JA would price match (and I think most vendors will).

123deleteme

Rough_Rock
E B|1319574928|3047469 said:
Hi shocking,

I recommended the .96 G, VVS1 because another vendor is asking $4290 for the same stone, so if it was impressive, it was juuust out of budget and might be worth it to you if JA would price match (and I think most vendors will).

Requested ASET and asking about price matching. Can you give me the link to the other vendor that is selling the stone?

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
shocking4life|1319566802|3047379 said:
1424525aset.jpg 1354593aset.jpg

Confused now :confused:
ASET image doesn't match the real pic, the stone is to far into the scope and is getting flares.
The real picture camera setup has more obstruction than ASET and if the ASET picture was right the real pic would be much darker.

123deleteme

Rough_Rock
Karl_K|1319637836|3047916 said:
ASET image doesn't match the real pic, the stone is to far into the scope and is getting flares.
The real picture camera setup has more obstruction than ASET and if the ASET picture was right the real pic would be much darker.

Thanks Karl, so based on these two stones with the provided ASETs and stats, do you still recommend the stone with the larger windmills as the best option?

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
can you have it sent to you for eval?
Seeing it in person and viewing it in as many light conditions as possible and seeing if it speaks to you is the best bet.

ndtyler333

Rough_Rock
I don't know very much at all about step cut stones, but I can say that buying a good one is much harder than a round diamond. When I was shopping lcoally there were a few to look at but they were not very good at all, I found one that was appealing to the eye and it was clearly better the others I had to choose from, it was also much less expensive than stones that were clearly not so good.

When I was looking online I had dissmissed a stone that looked fantastic becasue its ASET was terrible. Only after the responce form others on PS did I take a chance on it. Buying online is a complete crap shoot, you really have to see it in person an even with pictures and ASET images ( unless they are exptional) you just don't know what you are buying untill its in your hand.

Price, proportions, GIA reports, and imaging don't clearly point to a pretty asscher like they do a round stone. The advice of a good jeweler is the best help with diaomnds like an asscher.

Anyway just my experiences with this process. If your not in a hurry take your time, it can alot of fun to shop around.

-Tyler

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results