shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions needed

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ceylonfan

Rough_Rock
I''ve done a fair amount of research on PS and visited a few BMs but I''m still not sure what to buy. I was looking at 1.7 to 2.0 carat rounds in the F to G and VS2 to SI1 range but a friend of mine bought a J SI1 3 carat that looked pretty good set. He''s telling me that in the real world the color doesn''t matter much b/c diamonds get dirty and look the same. So, the question is should I go with the larger J or stick with a whiter F. When I compared diamonds under the bright lights of the BM stores I could tell the different b/n an F and a H and prefferred the F.

Also, my friends enagagement was called off and he got the ring back but he''s tells me that regardless of the GIA cert he can''t unload the ring w/o losing 1/3 of his investment. Is this typical?

hikerchick

Brilliant_Rock
You don''t have to go all the way down to a J . . . a well cut H will face up nice and white . . . when you saw the difference between the F and the H in the store, how well was each of them cut? I think you should aim for a G/H VS2/SI1 in your budget and get the largest diamond you can . . . what is your budget, if I may ask?

Also, I would never think of a diamond as an investment, they make poor investments as what your friend said about losing money trying to sell it is pretty typical.

ceylonfan

Rough_Rock
Total budget for rock and setting is b/n 24k to 27k.

hikerchick

Brilliant_Rock
That is a GREAT budget and depending on the setting you are thinking of, it leaves you with LOTS of options.
I will list just a few diamonds here but if you give us an idea of the kind of setting you are considering we can give you better suggestions because we will have an idea how much money you can put towards the diamond.

http://www.niceice.com/certcopies/gia15170365/index.htm
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/2622/
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamond.asp?b=16&a=12&c=77&cid=131&item=860016

ceylonfan

Rough_Rock
A nice 6 prong tiffany style solitaire setting diamond would be nice but I''ve also looked at the filigree settings like whitehouse. I guess from 1.5k up to 5k for the setting.

:)

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/22/2007 11:12:26 AM
Author:ceylonfan
I''ve done a fair amount of research on PS and visited a few BMs but I''m still not sure what to buy. I was looking at 1.7 to 2.0 carat rounds in the F to G and VS2 to SI1 range but a friend of mine bought a J SI1 3 carat that looked pretty good set. He''s telling me that in the real world the color doesn''t matter much b/c diamonds get dirty and look the same. So, the question is should I go with the larger J or stick with a whiter F. When I compared diamonds under the bright lights of the BM stores I could tell the different b/n an F and a H and prefferred the F.

Also, my friends enagagement was called off and he got the ring back but he''s tells me that regardless of the GIA cert he can''t unload the ring w/o losing 1/3 of his investment. Is this typical?
Killer budget for that! If your eyes preferred the higher color, I would recommend sticking to what your eyes like (although make sure it was GIA or AGS graded colors that you were comparing) You may be color sensitive, and after all, you will be the one that gets to look at it every day! Dirty diamonds doesn''t mean that the color changes, but it will affect the sparkle - once you have your stone you can easily purchase a little ultrasonic to keep it nice and clean!!

I like the GOG stone that Hikerchick posted for its size/pricepoint (and all the data that GOG gave). The WF stone is nice too and bigger spread, but at a significantly higher price point (and the color is not what you preferred). Both have nice trade up policies if you ever changed your mind (I think GOG requires increasing price by $500 for full trade in value towards a new stone, and WF by $50 I think, but I am not totally sure on that and you would need to confirm the policy with each company)

With regards to your friend, unfortunately he is correct about loss of $ once a stone has been purchased. Kinda like a car...!! (but even worse!!)
3.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Loosing 1/3 of your purchase price to upgrade is definitely not ideal. Many vendors recommended here have 100% of the value upgrade policies, you should definitely consider companies with this type of upgrade policy instead.

As far as color goes, you have a great budget and can afford better color. However, with a well-cut diamond you may not need the extra color unless you are color sensitive. A G/H should face up very white and a J should face up white with some warmth on the side.

Keep in mind that cut quality is the most important part of what makes a diamond look nice, more sparkles, fire, and a whiter/brighter appearance. Read the tutorials about cut here.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results