shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions needed! Wacky emerald cut . . .

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Cool Rockhuntin!
Clearly, theres'' a lot of "contention" going on here- my ONLY intent is to assist you in any way I can.
No need for me to call GIA. I''m certain.
If they were not so intent on "knocking me" others here would be able to confirm that GIA does not issue cut grades for emerald cuts.

Let''s wait and see the images.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
This is boilerplate on the gia report check on older reports and it is possible they do not filter for shape.
I have seen it on rounds that the data was not available.

"Additional Information:

No cut grade has been calculated for this item, and the item would need to be submitted for an update, to receive a cut grade."

I believe the op that it is there and am not surprised.
The report check is down right now.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 12/14/2009 7:44:35 PM
Author: Rockdiamond
Cool Rockhuntin!

Clearly, theres'' a lot of ''contention'' going on here- my ONLY intent is to assist you in any way I can.

No need for me to call GIA. I''m certain.

If they were not so intent on ''knocking me'' others here would be able to confirm that GIA does not issue cut grades for emerald cuts.

Let''s wait and see the images.
What part of its on report check and not the printed report do you not get?

Hassling new people is way over the line.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks Karl- I have never seen that on the GIA site.
It makes perfect sense, especially considering the GIA site is down.
I think RockHuntin knows I only want to assist.
If not, my apologies if it came across as anything else RH.
I've seen many cases of people believing there was a GIA report, when none existed.
In many of those cases, terminology on the report in question gives away the fact it's not GIA.
Hence my skepticism.
Thanks again Karl for clearing it up.

RockHuntin

Rough_Rock
Thanks guys. I appreciate the sanity-check, Karl_K.

As of now, I haven''t received an email with a picture of the report and the server is still unavailable.

So I guess I''ll have to ask - how much would it cost to recut into a better diamond (if I can get it for a very fair deal)?

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
RH ( can I call you RH?
1.gif
) If you post the price, I''ll be glad to give you an honest market assessment.

It''s been busy here- can you save me re-reading the thread and remind me- do you have the opportunity to view the stone either in person, or with a valid money back guarantee?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The main concern isn't what a recut would cost.
It is the loss of weight and risk.

Even if you get it for a great price for a 1.5 carat, will that be a great price for a 1.1 carat, or whatever may be the final weight?

Plus there is risk of it breaking apart while being cut.
If it does it is YOUR loss.

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
I did a search here on PS and for that size stone, same color, clarity, and roughly same size, the price for the whole set ($5,000) seems fair (since the stones alone are in the $4,000-$4,500 range) but that did NOT take into account table measurements, which everyone else has pointed out to be an issue with the stone you''re looking at.

Just wondering, in your original post you said you "know someone selling"... Does that mean you know them personally? If so, I wouldn''t let that affect your decision. I think you could find a stone that would perform far better for a decent price, without having to worry about recuts, which as Kenny pointed out is a huge risk on your part.

RockHuntin

Rough_Rock
After thinking about it for some time, I am going to pass on the set. I honestly think it wouldn''t be worth it in the long run to spend on a "not so great" diamond when other options are available.

The extremely thin girdle could be a disaster waiting to happen. Also, why have a 1.5ct if it doesn''t perform? I would rather just get a better diamond upfront. As they say, the bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

I want to thank everyone for their input; I appreciate your enthusiastic and informed insight!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results