shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions Needed Please: 3.07 G SI1 RB

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

DKinLA

Rough_Rock

I could use some expert opinions here. This is my first post and I am a sponge soaking up all this knowledge.

Previous to discovering PS I was very cautious about clarity. The vendor whom I trust says the stone is super eye clean. No inclusions visible.
Let me know what you think. My specific questions are below next to the images.

First: GIA report ...

gia rep.jpg

DKinLA

Rough_Rock
Next Photo under 10x Magnification

Photo 10x.jpg

DKinLA

Rough_Rock
Now for the Asset

Assetpic3G.jpg

DKinLA

Rough_Rock
H&A ...

H&A3G.jpg

DKinLA

Rough_Rock
And last but not least HCA

** My question here is that even though this stone has excellent ratings it doesn''t fall within the AGS 0 white outline. How concerned should I be about this? Will this affect the light performance? How would it compare to a stone that did fall within the GIA and AGS areas?

Many thanks in advance.

HCA3G.jpg

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks like a lovely diamond and huge! I think I know which vendor has it and they do have a good rep here. I wouldn't worry about it not falling within both GIA and AGS outlines on the HCA, you have excellent images which trump the HCA that cannot physically see the diamond - some prefer a diamond to land within the AGS/ GIA ' bullseye' on the HCA but it isn't essential. Also this is a very large diamond of good cut quality and an eyeclean SI which makes it a great find.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/5/2009 5:45:32 AM
Author: Lorelei
It looks like a lovely diamond and huge! I think I know which vendor has it and they do have a good rep here. I wouldn''t worry about it not falling within both GIA and AGS outlines on the HCA, you have excellent images which trump the HCA that cannot physically see the diamond - some prefer a diamond to land within the AGS/ GIA '' bullseye'' on the HCA but it isn''t essential. Also this is a very large diamond of good cut quality and an eyeclean SI which makes it a great find.
Agreed. Diamonds this size are hard to find these days, and it''s very well cut considering. I see no problems!

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
The diamond looks great! If you''re not gonna snatch it up, I might do a mini-upgrade!!
31.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/5/2009 8:04:00 AM
Author: elle_chris
The diamond looks great! If you''re not gonna snatch it up, I might do a mini-upgrade!!
31.gif
LOL!!!
Evil_smile.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/5/2009 8:09:53 AM

31.gif
LOL!!!
Evil_smile.gif
lol.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/5/2009 8:12:21 AM
Author: Ellen

Date: 3/5/2009 8:09:53 AM

31.gif
LOL!!!
Evil_smile.gif
lol.gif
16.gif

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
tongue.gif
lol

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
On a more serious note, is there too much leakage around the edges? (green) and are the reds too light? especially in the table area? Or is it just the way the vendor takes them?

I''m just now trying to understand ASET images.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/5/2009 8:43:38 AM
On a more serious note, is there too much leakage around the edges? (green) and are the reds too light? especially in the table area? Or is it just the way the vendor takes them?

I''m just now trying to understand ASET images.
I think it is fine elle, I believe it is the image set up for the ASET being different to what we normally see.

This is an excellent tutorial on ASET for you here -

http://www.highperformancediamonds.com/index.php?page=education-performance

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Lorelei.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Most welcome!
35.gif

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Looks swell!

cheers--Sharon

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Don't worry about the overall combo and the HCA box. 56/40.6/34.5 is on the border of AGS0 and AGS1 in that mm range. Great proportions set and good cut precision from those images.

Date: 3/5/2009 8:43:38 AM

I'm just now trying to understand ASET images.
Cool Elle. Green areas are not leakage but they are less bright than red. Where you see green the diamond is drawing its light from lower angles (light reflected from walls or coming off your shirt etc). Naturally those sources are not as intense as the red areas which are getting their light from above - in most environments our world is lit from above.

Your question about the green is valid. It looks like the diamond may have been dug a bit to keep the girdle to STK. If you look at the simulations on this journal article page the footprint correlates with around 3 degrees of crown only digging (1B). If memory serves GIA's threshold for a brillianteeing penalty is 4 degrees from normal...so this may have slipped by.

This is a larger diamond than normal though. Sometimes that can cause issues in viewers (esp the smaller 'toy' H&A viewers), but this seller seems to have done a good job of proper photography. Cheers to them for that, by the way.

DK, have you been able to see and compare this diamond for yourself?

DKinLA

Rough_Rock
Elle & Lorelei - you are too funny.

I am seriously considering this rock but will let Elle pick it up if I change my mind. I have been looking for months and it is really hard to find an ideal cut stone above 2.5 carats. The cut is my number one priority and something I don''t want to sacrifice or settle on. It needs to be G color or better since I am really color sensitive. Its not in my head either since I can consistenly guess color at various jewelers.

John - I saw the lighter red and more green on the ASET too. I haven''t seen the stone in person yet since I am on the opposite coast as the vendor. Flying out there isn''t feasible at the moment either. The vendor says it has amazing light performance and he is very candid, rejecting many stones before even giving me details.

I guess I will just have to see it for myself.

Any other thoughts? Should I hold out some more?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/5/2009 1:03:31 PM
Author: DKinLA
Elle & Lorelei - you are too funny.

I am seriously considering this rock but will let Elle pick it up if I change my mind. I have been looking for months and it is really hard to find an ideal cut stone above 2.5 carats. The cut is my number one priority and something I don''t want to sacrifice or settle on. It needs to be G color or better since I am really color sensitive. Its not in my head either since I can consistenly guess color at various jewelers.

John - I saw the lighter red and more green on the ASET too. I haven''t seen the stone in person yet since I am on the opposite coast as the vendor. Flying out there isn''t feasible at the moment either. The vendor says it has amazing light performance and he is very candid, rejecting many stones before even giving me details.

I guess I will just have to see it for myself.

Any other thoughts? Should I hold out some more?
I think it is definitely worth taking a look!

Sorry about the little threadjack....

creepaway3.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/5/2009 1:08:13 PM

I do too. And you can always have it shipped to one of the PS appraisers for a totally unbiased, pro opinion. I think that''s what I would do.
28.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/5/2009 1:32:11 PM

I do too. And you can always have it shipped to one of the PS appraisers for a totally unbiased, pro opinion. I think that''s what I would do.
28.gif
Good idea Batman!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/5/2009 1:33:08 PM

28.gif
Good idea Batman!
1620862a04f4hqekd.gif

DKinLA

Rough_Rock
Alright this is going to reveal how "novice" I am. How does sending the stone to an appraiser work? Do I have to purchase it first? Do you have recommendations of appraisers in the NYC area?

Sorry for the silly questions ...

PS: Ellen & Lorelei -- do you guys know each other? Your kind of like batman and robin
21.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/5/2009 3:17:24 PM
Alright this is going to reveal how 'novice' I am. How does sending the stone to an appraiser work? Do I have to purchase it first? Do you have recommendations of appraisers in the NYC area?

PS: Ellen & Lorelei -- do you guys know each other? Your kind of like batman and robin
21.gif
lol! We are very good buds, though we've never met.
2.gif

Ok, I have never done this, but I "believe" you would pay for it, the company would send it to the appraiser. If you are close, you could meet with them and discuss the stone, or sometimes people send them to one not close, and talk by phone. Then, if you accept the stone, you take it home/it is sent to you. If you don't, the appraiser sends it back to the jeweler, who would then refund you.

Which leads me to ask, does the jeweler have a very good/clear return policy?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/5/2009 3:32:16 PM

Date: 3/5/2009 3:17:24 PM
Alright this is going to reveal how ''novice'' I am. How does sending the stone to an appraiser work? Do I have to purchase it first? Do you have recommendations of appraisers in the NYC area?

21.gif
lol! We are very good buds, though we''ve never met.
2.gif

Ok, I have never done this, but I ''believe'' you would pay for it, the company would send it to the appraiser. If you are close, you could meet with them and discuss the stone, or sometimes people send them to one not close, and talk by phone. Then, if you accept the stone, you take it home/it is sent to you. If you don''t, the appraiser sends it back to the jeweler, who would then refund you.

Which leads me to ask, does the jeweler have a very good/clear return policy?
LOL!! Ditto!! And we are like Batman and Robin!!
hehe23.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/5/2009 3:04:02 PM

Date: 3/5/2009 1:33:08 PM

28.gif
Good idea Batman!
1620862a04f4hqekd.gif
Hehehe!!!
superheroflying.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LOL! You girls are too funny! I need to quit work so I can have fun with y''all all day!

Okay, I am clarity conscious, so that is my disclaimer. I''d want to know if this stone is really eyeclean from the sides as well as on top. It would bug me a lot to see inclusions from the side, and in a large stone, I think you have to really be careful since inclusions might be more visible.

DKinLA

Rough_Rock
Diamondseeker2006: Believe me, I''m just as clarity sensitive. I never thought I would go below VS1 but the vendor that found this stone says that it has very small white inclusions that blend in with the facets of the diamond. He even says this stone is like getting VS quality at an SI price. It is completely eye clean (face up and profile). If I saw an inclusion from the side I wouldn''t buy it. --- Period.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results