shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions needed on this sapphire

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

vedderbetter

Rough_Rock
Here's a sapphire I'm considering for my ering. What do you all think of the cut (windows etc) and the color? I prefer the lighter blues but I don't want to have a stone that looks washed out in person. The setting will be a three stone ring with two 1/2 karat radiant cut diamonds on either side in white gold - every simple but elegant. I'm concerned the NSC has a big mark up on their stones and that maybe I could get a comparable or even superior stone from someone like Jeff White. Any opinions would be greatfully accepted!

http://www.thenaturalsapphirecompany.com/Sapphires/Blue/Radiant/stoneid=B2542

If someone can help me post the picture that would be great!

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
If I have learned anything at all about sapphires, it''s that they often look different in person than in pics.

That one looks really pretty to me online. I don''t see a window.

One thing you''ll have to decide is do you want an unheated stone. If so, you will always pay a premium for it. Most sapphires are heated.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi VG. Their stones are more expensive because they are Unheated. Jeff White does beautiful work, I would love to get a spinel from him
9.gif

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Forgot to add, I just looked at the picture. It is a beautiful stone and I do not see any windows. You will just have to decide if you want to pay for an unheated stone.

Linda

valleygirl

Rough_Rock
I think that working with a vendor is a good idea. They have access to more gemstones, which means more choices for you! I think the lighter color in that stone is nice other than what I think is a bowtie effect, but it is a native cut stone and it does seems off a bit, but I am no expert. The Natural Sapphire Company has all natural sapphires so you will pay more for a stone that is unheated. If a little bit of heat treatment is not a big deal to you then go with a stone that has low heat treating, I think you might get more stone for your money that way.

One important thing you should do after knowing what color you want is to figure out what shape and cut you want for your stone. That will narrow down your search a lot and a jeweler can help you with a setting that will work.

Definately contact a jeweler who will work with you. Right now I''m working with Wink Jones and Richard Homer, they been great to work with. I''ve heard good things about Jeff White as well.

good luck in your search.
9.gif

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/11/2008 1:23:24 PM
Author: valleygirl
I think that working with a vendor is a good idea. They have access to more gemstones, which means more choices for you! I think the lighter color in that stone is nice other than what I think is a bowtie effect, but it is a native cut stone and it does seems off a bit, but I am no expert. The Natural Sapphire Company has all natural sapphires so you will pay more for a stone that is unheated. If a little bit of heat treatment is not a big deal to you then go with a stone that has low heat treating, I think you might get more stone for your money that way.
Huh?

bar01

Brilliant_Rock
Just looking at what is available on the site (video, pic and report) it looks to my amateur eye - nicely cut, very clear, but a lighter colored sapphire. Kind of a sky blue rather than the cornflower/royal blue. While the lighter blues might be priced/valued less, I actually kind of prefer the look.

As for the premium for an unheated sapphire – I have seen ballparks in the 20-30% range over heated sapphires. Up to you that extra cost is “worth it”. A mental/emotional choice mostly. But IMHO when you consider that the rarity issues – untreated sapphires are so much rarer than heated – the 20%-30% extra seems like a bargain.

vedderbetter

Rough_Rock
I am set on a radiant cut stone - I don''t care personally for round stones and like the look of a square.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree Bertrand. All of my Pads and my one Blue sapphire are unheated. I purchased from the NSC.

Linda

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
VB: If you love that stone, ask Steven Bliss to send it to you. You can examine it and decide if you would like to keep it. He is wonderful to talk to and very very helpful.

Linda

valleygirl

Rough_Rock
Date: 7/11/2008 1:28:39 PM
Author: FrekeChild

Date: 7/11/2008 1:23:24 PM
Author: valleygirl
Huh?

hahaha! thanks for calling me out on that one... phew! what was I thinking?
33.gif

..maybe I should let the picture clear up before I post eh?
37.gif
... I swear, putting an older computer and an older brain together is just no good! (dial-up doesn''t help either)

that stone does have some nice color though... I agree with Bertrand on the "sky blue" attribute

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I like the colour a lot.

Looking at the meet points and symmetry, the crown looks good to me, but the pavillion is a bit wiggly in places and the culet is slightly off centre.

Probably not enough to have a real impact on performance, just depends how pedantic you are about cut (It''s not one of my major no-no''s - it''s definitely one of the lower Cs in coloured stones.)

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Pandora,

Do you like sapphires that are a little darker?? I don''t like mine really dark. I am interested on how you like yours

Linda

icekid

Ideal_Rock
vedderbetter- that looks like a pretty nice sapphire from NSC there. I really like the color. The cut looks better than most of the stones I''ve seen there, though still off a bit as Pandora mentioned. And yes, I do believe that NSC is on the pricier side, all things being equal. If the ring were for me, I would undoubtedly go with a Jeff White creation... but I''m OCD like that
9.gif
Cut is super important to me, and maybe not quite as much to others. If you can manage the wait with Jeff, I bet it will be worth it.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I thought the stone looked amazing! The cut looks great and if the color is like that in person, I think it''s a great stone.

eac

Shiny_Rock
Another thumbs up here. If you like a light blue and a radiant, this looks very good, and I agree with the other posters who said that the cut is better than average for stones from NSC.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It''s a gorgeous sapphire! I love the color.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/11/2008 6:19:18 PM
Author: Linda W
Pandora,

Do you like sapphires that are a little darker?? I don''t like mine really dark. I am interested on how you like yours

Linda
I''m not that into sapphires really. But, I have very definite likes and dislikes with the ones I do.

I LOVE the ultraviolet blues that look almost like a fine tanzanite colour. I can appreciate the colours of the fine kashmirs etc, but I wouldn''t feel the need to own one (although I would like a cabachon!).

Unlike my taste in garnets, where I tend to lean darker, with blue sapphires I lean towards the lighter shade.

I do like pads as well. I''m very fussy on the exact shade though. I like them more orange than pink and quite vivid. I''d probably like them a touch darker than you would.

My sister and mother are big sapphire fans.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Personally I think it''s a really nice sapphire!

As much as I LOVE Jeff White''s stuff (have a sapphire from him myself!) he is really hit or miss. If you KNOW you want a radiant, and KNOW you want a certain color and stone, it could take awhile for him to procure what you want. So it''s just something to keep in mind if you have a timeframe or are impatient.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it''s lovely, and really prefer nearly that exact colour in a sapphire. I think this may be the one if the niggling little details of the cut that Pandora mentioned don''t bother you.

If it was me, and I wanted a large radiant, I''d snap it up in a heartbeat.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/12/2008 8:33:51 AM
Author: Pandora II
Date: 7/11/2008 6:19:18 PM

Pandora,

Linda

I''m not that into sapphires really. But, I have very definite likes and dislikes with the ones I do.

I LOVE the ultraviolet blues that look almost like a fine tanzanite colour. I can appreciate the colours of the fine kashmirs etc, but I wouldn''t feel the need to own one (although I would like a cabachon!).

Unlike my taste in garnets, where I tend to lean darker, with blue sapphires I lean towards the lighter shade.

I do like pads as well. I''m very fussy on the exact shade though. I like them more orange than pink and quite vivid. I''d probably like them a touch darker than you would.

My sister and mother are big sapphire fans.

That is why I love Pads, the different color ranges. My collections range from the medium strong, (Avatar) to the darker color. I could sit and play with them all day. ha ha ha. I do own the pink/orange and the orange/pink. In fact, come to think of it, my avatar is the only lighter color I own.

Linda

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/12/2008 1:42:51 PM

That is why I love Pads, the different color ranges. My collections range from the medium strong, (Avatar) to the darker color. I could sit and play with them all day. ha ha ha. I do own the pink/orange and the orange/pink. In fact, come to think of it, my avatar is the only lighter color I own.

Linda
They''re gorgeous stones - I''m looking forward to seeing a Sri-Lankan sunset so that I can see what colour they are supposed to be!
9.gif

I have a small pair of pad earrings - an ebay mega-bargain. They are real, but heat-treated, and about 0.40ct each and set in a not very nice wg setting. I paid the extortionate sum of $40....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results