shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions Needed on Leo Diamond Purchase

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

dallas

Rough_Rock
I just purchased a 3 stone Leo diamond ring from Kay jewelers in a mall. I had them replace the center stone with a larger one and change the band to platinum. It is still a work in progress but I'm now having second thoughts about the price because of a comment I just noticed on the center stone IGI spec card. I am planning on getting an independent appraisal as soon as I pick it up.

Here are the specifics:

Total Cost = $7,400 plus tax

2 outside stones = 0.76 carat total weight
color = G - H
clarity = SI(1) / SI(2)

new center stone = 0.97 carat
color = near colorless (H)
clarity = VS(2)
polish/symmetry = good /good
treatment = none
Graded prior to mounting. CLOUD THROUGHOUT STONE (what does this mean??)

I'm brand new to this forum. Soliciting informed opinions on what I just did. Since there is a 90 day return policy, so there is hope if I'm convinced it's a bad deal.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
"Cloud throughout stone" means that the diamond has a microscopic "haze" throughout it.

If it is truly a VS2, then the cloud should be transparent to the naked eye, and then visible under a loupe when turning the stone in a certain direction and catching the reflection of light off of it.

If it is truly not eye visible, I wouldn't worry about it. But if it is eye visible, even if it just seems like a "ghost" of a cloud, it will drive you crazy. It's like thinking you keep seeing something in the dark out of the corner of your eye, but then it's gone when you look directly for it. You know what I'm talking about?

IGI has had a reputation in the past for "loose grading". During the last several years it appears that they have tightened their standards up somewhat, but I would still have an independent appraiser check the grading. Make sure you purchase the ring contingent upon having it checked out by an independent appraiser, with "right of return" if you decide you don't want it for any reason.

Rich, GG
Sarasota Gemological Laboratory

dallas

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the explanation. I looked at the mounted stone on 3 separate visits to the store and I did not notice anything annoying. But being a total novice, I realize that doesn't mean a thing. Thanks again!

dallas

Rough_Rock
Well, I did it. I cancelled the Leo Diamond order. I'm now looking to purchase from an on-line dealer. I educated myself on this forum, pricescope.com, and goodoldgold. I'll let you all know how things turn out.

The Gipper

Rough_Rock
I'm not an expert, having started on my quest two weeks ago. Two weeks ago I started my educated by going to the same mall chain you mention, got a heavy 'Leo' sales pitch, then went to two other mall chains, and 3 stand-alone local B&M shops. I didn't buy anything. I then found this site and others and educated myself on clarity, color, and especially cut. I've now spent about 28 hours learning about anything/everything, but especially cut - that was harder to learn due to more technical data to digest.

That Leo might be good, but had you not cancelled, you should have definitely run it through the HCI, and at least compare it to other shops, both locally and internet. But I think you did the right thing by cancelling, because you need at least a few weeks of educating yourself and doing alot of comparison shopping. This site, goodoldgold and diamondoptics are sites that I've found have given me alot of assistance. I'm sure there are others out there as well.

In hind-site, that first chain store had the worst prices per color/clarity of all the shops I went to. They spent next to no time teaching me. I did hit some very good local stores that know their stuff, but their prices were much higher than I've found at some of the better Internet vendor sites.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results