shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions needed for new prongs....who has great taste?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock
Hello!
First time poster!

I have a great ring my husband got me 9 years ago (well...I confess I did change the setting already once). I LOVE the setting as a whole but always felt maybe the prong setting does not compliment the ring as much as I would like it to (or that a square/cush/emerald diamond would look BETTER). It is a very "geometric" setting and the prongs are your traditional 6 prong for a round center diamond. It is NOT an option at this point to upgrade my center stone to change the shape. We are expecting a second child...bills "tight". I saw a gal at a wedding with a very unique prong setting. THICK and very square. I am attaching a similar photo. She had a round diamond also but it appeard more "square" because of the prongs.

I would be looking for the same basic idea but just a "basket" or "prong setting". I will include what pics I have to help you all understand.

Pics:
I will start with my CURRENT ring (6 prong setting) and then show you the "look" I want...finally show you a POOR attempt of Photo-shop of the combined (top down view).
Please tell me what you think! My goal is to make my ring look a bit more "square" to complement the band more which has lots of princess cut diamonds and is very "square" looking. Also...maybe to make my diamond look larger as well? Center stone is 1.1 round. Sides are I think about 1 1/2 total per side in princess cut.

Thanks for any SUGGESTIONS or comments.

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry--cant figure out how to post multiple photos

so I will do it in a few threads

1) my ring (6 prongs)
2) ring prongs I want (4 bulky square prongs)
3) my poor attempt to photo shop and combine

THANKS

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock
Prongs I want

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock
My attempt to combine (top down view). NOTE:I had to stretch the diamond to fit over mine--the shape turned more OVAL. It is a ROUND diamond..not oval. This is just for the "idea" of the look.

THANKS!!!! HAVE FUN!!!!

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock
LAST PIC!! side view may look similar to this. The prongs are NOT quite right (not squared off as much--they are angled a bit) but it is the "basic idea" of how a side view may look???? Also, the prongs are not a thick as I would wish--- but close....close enough to give you a side view idea of what I am looking for????

SO SORRY FOR THE MULITPLE PAGES!!!

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
You could change the 6 prong setting with 4 long, square prongs which extend from the base of the ring up as high as you want to hold the diamond. However, unlike the sample with the 4 broad prongs, your ring is wider enough that these four prongs would have to come up inside the outer edge of your present ring, with in the notch where the 6 prong setting now resides. If you could live with these prongs mostly filling this notched zone, then I believe it could be done on your ring.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I apologize for how crude this is drawn, but maybe you will better understand adding 4 square prongs such as shown by these two black renderings. Two more prongs go on the opposite side of the ring. The six prong setting would be removed and the zone where is sits now would be cleaned up and made shiny. Normally, the diamond would be set lower than currently set in your ring.

notchring.jpg

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you are on the right track looking for thicker prongs. Oldminer did a great drawing for you and I think I would
look better if the diamond did set just a little lower than it does now. I think it would flow better. I think you should
find a skilled craftsman in you area and do it! Take in your pictures and Oldminers pictures as examples.

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock
THANK YOU SO MUCH! Again -sorry for all the postings!!!

OH!!! I was thinking maybe I was off base so I am THRILLED to hear two of you agree!!

Thanks for including the pic! That is what I wanted to see! YES! I will print and include.

OK..so sit it a bit lower? Works. That wont make the diamond appear smaller would it? (sorry to be so vein--I work hard to get my 1.1 to look "larger"). If only I could win the lottery......

There is a very skilled jewler I can use...I plan to see him next week. I suppose this is custom but hopefully not a lot....less than $500 would be ideal...even less better.....

My ring is 18k but I was thinking to do the prongs in 14??? Stronger??? Since it is white gold you cant tell K in the color. Agree?

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

I am happy to hear you all think that this would be a move in the right direction!!!! I never quite felt the round looked appropriate in that setting....

:) GREAT!

Venice

Brilliant_Rock
I like the four prongs!
36.gif

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Venice!!! Would you set the stone lower also? I think that sounds like a nice idea! Just hope it wont make the stone look smaller...doubt it will. Great! :)

I will post a final pic once the ring is complete. NO IDEA how long that will be! Consult next week! (hopefullly)

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock
Hello!!

Anybody?? PLEASE help! Apt set for next week...how much lower?? 1/3 lower than it is set now??? Not that much?? 1/4? Thanks for ANY info! I need some kind of opinion from the experts for when I go in and start taking design!

Thanks!!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Setting it lower will likely make it look a bit smaller...

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock
Smaller = not good in my eyes even if it may look a bit better. I wish I could see it before it is complete. I liked the idea of it a bit lower....still will consider it....but...would HATE for it to look smaller! That is a sin! :)

I think the wider prongs may help to increase the appearance "size" of the diamond! May cross each other out!

But the center diamond is too "small" for me already....hum.....thanks!
1.gif

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock
UPATED PICS!! Turned out VERY well! I am super pleased! Hope it is "safe" (Main diamond") not use to 4 pongs vs. 6...scares me a bit !!! Glad I did it....$450! OUCH. I think my main diamond does look larger vs smaller even with the slightly lower setting. I was a bit worried! :)

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock
SORRY so blurry.....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results