shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions needed for a Diamond found on Craigslist

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bluemoon

Rough_Rock
Hi Everyone!

Wanted to get quick opinions about this possible purchase. Found this wedding ring set on Craig''s List and wondered what you guys and gals think. $4500 for the whole ring set, 18k ,ring size 6, and diamond and setting is from WF. Center stone sits between two trapazoid baguetts and wedding band is a five diamond stone band. Sounds good on paper and looks good too...just seems a little too good or could i just be lucky?

Unfortunately this is the only info that I have on the center diamond...

Emerald cut - 1.02
GIA
G SI1
6.48x5.30x3.37
depth - 63.6
table- 62%
girdle- medium
cutlet- small
polish-excellent
sym-very good
flourescent- faint

I found similar loose diamonds on PS for about $3700-$4200,so I think if anything I''m saving money on the diamond setting and band.

ANY opinions/feedback would be greatly appreciated (good or bad). THANKs!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/8/2009 3:31:30 PM
Author:bluemoon
Hi Everyone!

Wanted to get quick opinions about this possible purchase. Found this wedding ring set on Craig's List and wondered what you guys and gals think. $4500 for the whole ring set, 18k ,ring size 6, and diamond and setting is from WF. Center stone sits between two trapazoid baguetts and wedding band is a five diamond stone band. Sounds good on paper and looks good too...just seems a little too good or could i just be lucky?

Unfortunately this is the only info that I have on the center diamond...

Emerald cut - 1.02
GIA
G SI1
6.48x5.30x3.37
depth - 63.6
table- 62%
girdle- medium
cutlet- small
polish-excellent
sym-very good
flourescent- faint

I found similar loose diamonds on PS for about $3700-$4200,so I think if anything I'm saving money on the diamond setting and band.

ANY opinions/feedback would be greatly appreciated (good or bad). THANKs!
If you decide to investigate see if the seller will meet you at an appraiser of your choosing so the set can be evaluated ( make sure they are diamonds, check for damage and so on) and you can get an expert opinion on the price. If it checks out then you can conclude the deal there and then. That is the only way I would consider it, ask if they have the WF paperwork also.
Appraiser tool https://www.pricescope.com/appr_list.aspx

Check very carefully the main diamond is eyeclean as it is an emerald cut of SI clarity, these shapes show inclusions more easily than rounds for example.

Todd Gray

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
You indicated that the setting is from White Flash, by chance is the diamond from White Flash as well? If so, they might have some file photographs available. I know that we''ve been able to provide access to diamond details pages (not pricing info, etc. but just the diamond details page) for diamonds being purchased third party which we have sold previously... It''s certainly worth asking - it might be easier if you can get a copy of the GIA lab report and/or the number - we track diamonds by lab report number and having that information certainly makes it easier to find and I imagine that the good people at WF have the capability of tracking diamonds by lab report number as well - it''s pretty common. "By the numbers" things look promising!

bluemoon

Rough_Rock
Thank you for the advice Lorelei. That's exactly what I plan to do! The inclusion looks like it's near the upper top left hand corner. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that where the prongs may be so it's covered. I haven't seen it in person yet.

bluemoon

Rough_Rock
I have the GIA report number. I will give WF a call and see what they can dig up for me. They are currently searching a diamond for me, not sure how they will feel about helping me with this since this might mean a potential lost sell for them. Thanks!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/8/2009 3:58:48 PM
Author: bluemoon
I have the GIA report number. I will give WF a call and see what they can dig up for me. They are currently searching a diamond for me, not sure how they will feel about helping me with this since this might mean a potential lost sell for them. Thanks!
Most welcome and Todd gave great advice, keep us posted!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I also think there may be some room for negotiation on the price. Recently, one of the experts here commented on private sales like this and noted that in many cases the seller has looked around and discovered how poor the resale value really is for diamonds and jewelry and thus is trying to make a little more money with a private sale.

At the highest, I think this wedding set is probably only worth about $3000, maybe even more like $2500. assuming it is what it is purported to be. Here is my math: Assuming that the EC cost somewhere at the higher end of the range you found, on the second hand market the diamond shouldn''t cost much more than 30-40% of its retail value. So that is about $1700 at the absolute maximum or the center stone. A three-stone setting from WF that is custom will run about $1500 retail, so again about $600 on the resale market (assuming gold has a similar decline in value, this I am not sure about). WF also has a five stone band .35ctw (I''m guessing here since you didn''t mention specs) for $750, so about $300 on the resale market. I''m going to add another $400 for the traps, and my total comes out to a value of approx $3000. And that''s the high end of the resale value IMHO. So just be sure you are paying a fair market value for the product.

bluemoon

Rough_Rock
Hi Dreamer-Wow. Thank you for crunching the numbers for me
36.gif
. I''m definitely going to research this some more and make sure what I get is fair value market like you said. He did say he paid around $7000 for the whole thing, but I''m not sure how long ago that was.

I didn''t know there was a "second hand" market for diamonds. I thought diamonds are like gold - goes up and down but always retains same value.

Moh 10

Brilliant_Rock
Even if they retain the same value you and I buy retail price but have to sell at wholesale price, which is around half of retail.
15.gif

bluemoon

Rough_Rock
Even if they retain the same value you and I buy retail price but have to sell at wholesale price, which is around half of retail.

oh I see...gosh there''s so much to learn from you guys! btw Moh 10- love your avatar.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/8/2009 9:03:42 PM
Author: bluemoon
Hi Dreamer-Wow. Thank you for crunching the numbers for me
36.gif
. I''m definitely going to research this some more and make sure what I get is fair value market like you said. He did say he paid around $7000 for the whole thing, but I''m not sure how long ago that was.

I didn''t know there was a ''second hand'' market for diamonds. I thought diamonds are like gold - goes up and down but always retains same value.
Diamonds are very poor financial investments, it is usual when trying to resell on the secondary market to recoup 30 - 35% of what was originally paid.

bluemoon

Rough_Rock
Hi Todd! I took your GREAT advice and sure enough WF was more than happy to send me some additional info!
What do you guys think?

IS_GIA14358015.jpg

bluemoon

Rough_Rock
Wanted to add the extra info that was on the sarin report (highlighted) . Sorry I was not able to upload it.

Emerald cut - 1.02
GIA
G SI1
6.48x5.30x3.37
depth - 63.6
table- 62%
girdle- medium (3.6%)
cutlet- small
polish-excellent
sym-very good
flourescent- faint
L/W ration - 1.22
pav depth- 63.5%
crown angle- 32.5
crown height- 12.3%
cutlet off center- 12.2%

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results