shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions needed about emerald ring I saw on sale at BBB

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

NeverEndingUpgrade

Brilliant_Rock
Good evening everyone. This is one of those "Is this a good buy?" questions. I know, I hate those too. But I would love some input.

A local Bailey Banks and Biddle near me has a really pretty ring in their sale cabinet. It features a 1.25 ct. nice looking emerald (some inclusions but nothing out of the ordinary for emerald, I think), 5/8 ct. baguette diamonds H/SI quality, set in a white gold band with the emerald itself set in yellow gold. The emerald measures 8 x 6 mm.

The original price was $5600 (inflated I''m sure) but they have it on sale for 30% off, and are now doing an additional 20% off, making the ring $3160. I''m thinking this is a good price, but I can''t find anything comparable on the Internet to compare it too. Sorry, I don''t have photos. Anyone think I should go for it?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would never buy a piece of emerald jewelry or an emerald in the thousands for that matter without a full lab report with the type of treatment. Emeralds are often filled with oil, colored resins, polymers, plastics. This is all done to make them appear cleaner. The cosmetic change can be extremely dramatic. You can make a very cloudy stone appear quite clean. The only type of acceptable treatment is oiling the stone with cedar oil, or some oil that is readily accepted in the trade. It is very difficult to find a natural untreated emerald, even at BBB.

Emeralds are one of my favorite stones ever, but I haven't bought one in years because of all the unscrupulous treatments.

NeverEndingUpgrade

Brilliant_Rock
Good point, tl! Thanks so much for the response.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
I am definitely with t_l. 3k is still a significant chunk of change. At that price point, I feel I would personally prefer to choose my stone and setting separately. But I am picky
9.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I third the opinion of getting a certed stone if spending that much. $3K is a lot of money and emeralds have all sorts of treatments now, from simple oiling to fracture filling and more. I''m not sure if any of the SA at BBB even knows what treatment this emerald has gone through. I would only purchase an emerald with oil treatment and nothing else.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results