shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions for Aquamarine

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi again everyone! Looking at aquamarines right now...A vendor sent me this pic, please give me your opinions. Stats: completely untreated and 0.70 carets (each stone).

screenshot_23.png

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is the vendor trustworthy? Beryl is now known to be sold without disclosure that it has been clarity enhanced and/or irradiated.

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm not sure about the vendor but they are based in the UK which makes returns easy for me. Also they offered to do a 3rd party gem report for £75

If everything checks out, do the above stones look ok? I don't want the colour to go lighter or watered down when on my hand....

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is why I asked the questions above. The colouration looks unusually strong for such a small size. Resin or oil is easy to detect but irradiation is more complicated. It is difficult for the labs to detect and the improved colour isn't stable. The deep blue will fade. If the vendor is trustworthy, then I would buy it but if not, then I do not know whether he/she will refund my money should it be irradiated without disclosure and fade. There is also synthetic beryl...

Not sure whether the lab in UK has the right equipment to differentiate the possibilities.
http://www.gia.edu/gems-gemology/fall-2008-aquamarine-beryl-analysis-identification-adamo

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It's the IGL lab....know anything about it?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
theredspinel|1447946415|3951725 said:
It's the IGL lab....know anything about it?
I am not familiar with IGL.

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Ok I'm off to do some research! Thanks btw Chrono, you're a credit to this forum.

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Huh...spam alert...?

So I've done some research on igl and yes its not as highly regarded as GIA in western countries and for a really expensive piece of jewellery I would prefer GIA, but for this stone...I think this lab report will suffice. They have specially stated they have the equipment needed to check for heat and irradiation (important ones for me).

I think I might go for it, waiting for vendor to get back to me regarding a setting so fingers crossed!

I know I'm a bit all over the place regarding what gemstone I want exactly...its so hard to decide on just one! Budget for me right now is the biggest factor and while I still plan to get my unheated/untreated pink sapphire and a neon glowing pink spinel, I would want to get the best of both of those items (and not settle for a tiny saphire or less neon mahenge pink). So I have the option of just saving and being able to get 1 awesome piece at the end of the year or....get the best relatively cheaper semi precious gemstone I can afford now.

I'm going for the latter...I can't get the best mahenge pink spinel but I can 'the best' aqua right? I know it's only small but the colour is out of this world and what I'd pay to get a big sized stone in that same colour...I'd rather spend on the mahenge. Right?!!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
theredspinel|1448017145|3952028 said:
So I've done some research on igl and yes its not as highly regarded as GIA in western countries and for a really expensive piece of jewellery I would prefer GIA, but for this stone...I think this lab report will suffice. They have specially stated they have the equipment needed to check for heat and irradiation (important ones for me).

You've come to same conclusion as I did. It's probably all right for a less expensive stone. In general, I do not get any lab reports for inexpensive stones if I purchase from a vetted vendor because I know they have their own basic testing equipment and know their sources well.

I understand what you are going through. I also save up over several months or even years to get that one "holy grail" gemstone. Aquamarines are still plentiful but a top pink spinel isn't as easy to find.

This is a vetted vendor known to be able to procure excellent Mahenges at a very fair price.

https://www.primagemsusa.com/content/208-carats-natural-mahenge-spinel
Beautiful cut, shape and colour.

https://www.primagemsusa.com/content/128-carats-natural-mahenge-spinel
This beautiful stone will probably be inventory for a while just because it is a trilliant. Can't beat that 7 x 7 mm spread though.

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the links Chrono. I can't seem to see any prices?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They used to post prices but I see that you have to inquire now. :(sad

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yes that's what I was getting.

So what is the standard price to pay for 1 of the above aquamarines? I know that's a massive question...but just to get a general idea..

Justin_Cutter

Brilliant_Rock
theredspinel|1448032424|3952084 said:
Yes that's what I was getting.

So what is the standard price to pay for 1 of the above aquamarines? I know that's a massive question...but just to get a general idea..

http://www.gemval.com/appraisal.php Puts the .70ct Aquamarine at $256 for that color. Gemval is driven by retail pricing so keep that in mind. It can be a useful tool though as long as you know that. I am convinced that a LOT of appraisers use the Gemval website. I have received a few appraisals that were shockingly close to the value that Gemval gives.
~Justin

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oh thanks for that Justin it's nice to have a somewhat rough idea of these things, really appreciate it.

Justin_Cutter

Brilliant_Rock
No problem!
~Justin

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results