shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions appreciated

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

DIRK-D

Rough_Rock
I''m planning on purchasing this 3 stone Platinum e-ring in the near future.
The side stones are pear shaped, 1/3 ct. total wt., with a marquise center stone (listed below).

I''m expecting the $$$ of the ring to be $1250 +/- and the center stone to be around $2800. Do these number''s sound about right?

ANY general suggestions or advice would be appreciated.

Marquise Brilliant
GIA cert
Color E
VS2
10.07x4.62x2.01
W 0.78 ct
D 60.8%
T 59%
Girdle slthk-thk
Cutlet None
Polish Good
Sym good
Fluorescence Med. Blue

ZZ-007.jpg

Rook

Shiny_Rock
Dirk:

I am just a rookie, but I have been doing a lot of research on fancy shapes.

Are you sure about your numbers? i.e. LxWxH and total depth? It looks like there is a mistake!

DIRK-D

Rough_Rock
Yep...the LxWxD numbers are straight from the GIA report.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
A 2.01 mm depth divided by a 4.62 mm width equals a depth percentage of 43.5%. You've probably got the wrong figure on the depth mm's.

Rich, GG
Sarasota Gemological Laboratory

DIRK-D

Rough_Rock
I stand corrected..the GIA report I was sent didn't print to clearly...the depth is 2.81 mm, not 2.01.....thus = the 60.8%

Do these numbers fall into an acceptable range?

Rook

Shiny_Rock
Marquise Brilliant
GIA cert
Color E
VS2
10.07x4.62x2.01
W 0.78 ct
D 60.8%
T 59%
Girdle slthk-thk
Cutlet None
Polish Good
Sym good
Fluorescence Med. Blue

Ok again I am just a rookie, and you should have the experts verify this but here are my thoughts!

First when looking for a fancy shape the numbers don't mean anything, unless the actual diamond looks goods. Make sure you see the stone first and like it before buying it. Also make sure that the actual shape of the stone is pleasing. This diamond has a 2.17 - 1 ratio which some would think is long and thin, but that is an individual preference.

Even though the total depth of 60.8% seems to be good, make sure that is due to a thick pavilion and a thin crown. You need to know these numbers for a more accurate assessment.

Lastly, this stone has medium blue fluorescence. Some people do not like fl. some people do. Sometimes fl. can make a diamond look hazy in the sunlight. Make sure this stone doesn't and make sure you don't mind that it has fl. If you don't mind usually fl. in a stone will make it less money.

Everything else, i.e. color, clarity, table, girdle, pol/sym. looks good.

You will need more advise from the experts on the price!

Hope this helps some. I would like to hear if my assessments are correct?

:rolleyes:

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Not bad, Rook, not bad. Let me just fine tune a few points-

-----------
First when looking for a fancy shape the numbers don't mean anything, unless the actual diamond looks goods. Make sure you see the stone first and like it before buying it.
-----------

Excellent advice.

-----------
Also make sure that the actual shape of the stone is pleasing. This diamond has a 2.17 - 1 ratio which some would think is long and thin, but that is an individual preference.
-----------

By many, the 2.00 to 1 ratio is considered "ideal", but acceptable range is considered to be from 1.75:1.00 to 2.25:1.00. The 2.17 is a tad long, but still should look good.

-----------
Even though the total depth of 60.8% seems to be good, make sure that is due to a thick pavilion and a thin crown. You need to know these numbers for a more accurate assessment.
-----------

More good advice. You just want to make sure the pavilion is not too "thick" (creating a dark center), or the crown too thin (creating less "fire", the dispersive rainbow colors).

-----------
Lastly, this stone has medium blue fluorescence. Some people do not like fl. some people do. Sometimes fl. can make a diamond look hazy in the sunlight.
-----------

This is true, but usually with stones which have "strong blue" fluorescence, and quite often not even then.

-----------
Make sure this stone doesn't and make sure you don't mind that it has fl. If you don't mind usually fl. in a stone will make it less money.
-----------

All good points.

Sounds like it could be a nice stone, Dirk-D. Definitely worth checking out, if it intrigues you.

Rich, GG
Sarasota Gemological Laboratory

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results