shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions and insights to dating a ring?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So as some of you may already know, I recently acquired Beulah in an ebay auction. She's 14k rose gold (no stamp though), with a 5mm red garnet and 16 small rose cut diamonds, and the name "Beulah" engraved in the band. The band (or shank?) is almost kind of knife edge, certainly not flat like the bands on my other rings or that you see in stores these days. I also think the way they set the rose cut stones is neat, kind of like shared-prong, but a bit messier than that.

Anyways, I'd love to try to build a backstory for Beulah, but I don't really know much about vintage jewelry or how to guess the time period. So I thought I might appeal to you lovely and knowledgeable people for any insights to help me give Beulah and backstory :)

Here are the pics from the other threads:
beulah.JPG

Jewlery%20E-bay%20061.jpg

inthedarkring.jpg

betterlightingring.jpg

mysomethingold2.jpg

oldmancoyote

Brilliant_Rock
I'd say it's 1880-1890 from the following: overall style and shape; use of garnet and rose-cut diamonds; setting style; shank shape; calligraphy and - last but not least - the name itself!!!

ETA: Of course I could be completely wrong on any or all of the above, but if I were to sell this and romance it for a buyer, that's what I'd say!

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It''s a beautiful ring, I have no idea about age. Have you had the gold tested by a qualified person?

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
I discussed this on another thread, but I also think late 19th century, or perhaps very early 20th.

I checked out the name Beulah on this useful website:

baby name graph

Its popularity peaks (at 78th and 77th place for baby girls' names) in the 1890s-1900s; in the 1880s it was in 103rd place, and in the 1910s it falls to 95th place. In the 1920s it's in 138th place, and it declines quickly after that. By the 1960s it's no longer in the top 1000 girls' names.

Unfortunately, the chart starts in the 1880s, so I don't know how popular the name was before that.

The height of the name's popularity as a baby name corresponds to the time when the ring looks to me as if it was made. Was the ring given to Beulah's mother to celebrate her birth? Or was Beulah the owner? If the latter, perhaps her parents were ahead of their time when they named her.

This is all assuming Beulah and her ring are American, since the website is derived from US census information. If she's from some other country, I dunno.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/22/2009 5:45:47 PM
Author: glitterata
I discussed this on another thread, but I also think late 19th century, or perhaps very early 20th.

I checked out the name Beulah on this useful website:

baby name graph

Its popularity peaks (at 78th and 77th place for baby girls'' names) in the 1890s-1900s; in the 1880s it was in 103rd place, and in the 1910s it falls to 95th place. In the 1920s it''s in 138th place, and it declines quickly after that. By the 1960s it''s no longer in the top 1000 girls'' names.

Unfortunately, the chart starts in the 1880s, so I don''t know how popular the name was before that.

The height of the name''s popularity as a baby name corresponds to the time when the ring looks to me as if it was made. Was the ring given to Beulah''s mother to celebrate her birth? Or was Beulah the owner? If the latter, perhaps her parents were ahead of their time when they named her.

This is all assuming Beulah and her ring are American, since the website is derived from US census information. If she''s from some other country, I dunno.

Hehe, that''s some fantastic sleuth work there Glitterata! I checked the name popularity thing too and found the same results. I was trying to remember where I first heard the name Beulah, I certainly don''t know anyone with that name.

And of course, I''m not expecting exact science here, I just think this is part of the romance and fun of vintage pieces :)
And no, I haven''t had the gold professionally tested myself. I love the rose gold color, even though it''s slightly more coppery than pink compared to some other rose gold I''ve seen.

Thanks for all the help everyone!

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
It's in a famous 1930s Mae West line:

"Beulah, peel me a grape."

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/22/2009 12:01:36 AM
Author:MakingTheGrade
So as some of you may already know, I recently acquired Beulah in an ebay auction. She''s 14k rose gold (no stamp though), with a 5mm red garnet and 16 small rose cut diamonds, and the name ''Beulah'' engraved in the band. The band (or shank?) is almost kind of knife edge, certainly not flat like the bands on my other rings or that you see in stores these days. I also think the way they set the rose cut stones is neat, kind of like shared-prong, but a bit messier than that.

Anyways, I''d love to try to build a backstory for Beulah, but I don''t really know much about vintage jewelry or how to guess the time period. So I thought I might appeal to you lovely and knowledgeable people for any insights to help me give Beulah and backstory :)

Here are the pics from the other threads:
beulah.JPG

Jewlery%20E-bay%20061.jpg

inthedarkring.jpg

betterlightingring.jpg

mysomethingold2.jpg
Its posts like this and the responces from forum members that make me check out this site every day!I also believe from considering all factors that the ring is 1880s-1900.Love everything about this ring...especially the deep hand cut engraving!I bet whoever BEULAH was she had great taste and is thrilled that we are discussing her ring!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks jewelerman!
I was wondering how you can tell it''s handcut engraving?

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/23/2009 5:07:35 PM
Author: MakingTheGrade
Thanks jewelerman!
I was wondering how you can tell it''s handcut engraving?
two points to consider:
1-engeaving was only dove by hand at this period of time
2-If the work was machine done the the engaving would all be consistant and no irregularity in the script.No thick to thin.It could be compared to writing with a ball point pen versus a fountain pen.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results