shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions/advice on this stone please

Chubby-sama

Rough_Rock
Good evening PSers!

I would love to get everyone's opinion on this stone from JA...

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/J-VS2-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1346321.asp

I'm considering this stone as part of a (late) Mother's Day gift for my mom! ^_^

Also, please let me know if you have suggestions for another stone around the same price range. My budget is ~$2000 for both the diamond and the ring setting. TIA!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a sweet gift :bigsmile:

It looks like a nice one, request IS from JA to confirm the ASET simulation on the AGS report, and that the stone is eyeclean to your specifications, whatever they are (clean from 12" face-up? from 6"? etc.)

We can't see the price on it - it just says it's on hold, but what sort of setting were you thinking of (ring?)? I think w/ the time limit it'd be better to go w/ a JA stock setting..

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is a really generous gift!!! I'd like to ask you if you'd consider going down in size and up in color and clarity a bit. I am afraid the K color is going to be a little too tinted and SI2 may not be eyeclean.

Since this isn't for an engagement ring, it may be tricky to get a setting within your budget that doesn't look like an engagement ring. I think that will be the challenge. Any chance you'd want to make it a pendant instead? If so, those settings can cost less than rings and allow more of your budget to go towards the stone.

Chubby-sama

Rough_Rock
Yssie|1304722832|2914341 said:
What a sweet gift :bigsmile:

It looks like a nice one, request IS from JA to confirm the ASET simulation on the AGS report, and that the stone is eyeclean to your specifications, whatever they are (clean from 12" face-up? from 6"? etc.)

We can't see the price on it - it just says it's on hold, but what sort of setting were you thinking of (ring?)? I think w/ the time limit it'd be better to go w/ a JA stock setting..

Thank you Yssie! Yes, it on hold now for IS images :halo: and I'll definitely ask those questions you suggested. I will most likely get a simple setting like this: http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/contemporary-rings/diamond-solitaire-ring.html. To be honest, I forgot the exact price of the stone :oops: but I remember setting the price range to be under $2000 (I think it's ~$1800 maybe?)

Chubby-sama

Rough_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1304723760|2914355 said:
That is a really generous gift!!! I'd like to ask you if you'd consider going down in size and up in color and clarity a bit. I am afraid the K color is going to be a little too tinted and SI2 may not be eyeclean.

Since this isn't for an engagement ring, it may be tricky to get a setting within your budget that doesn't look like an engagement ring. I think that will be the challenge. Any chance you'd want to make it a pendant instead? If so, those settings can cost less than rings and allow more of your budget to go towards the stone.

Thanks for your input, diamondseeker. I am a but hesitant about the color... and depending on how they respond to my questions about eye cleanliness, the clarity may be ok for my mom as she is very far sighted. I've asked my mom for her preference in settings and the one I linked was the one she chose, so I guess she doesn't mind the engagement ring look ^_^. Strangely enough, she thinks the stone is too large (lol) for a pendent but I may try to convince her otherwise :devil: .

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is great that your mother chose the setting she liked! :)) And if she likes K color, then that would be fine! I just don't recommend lower colors (below J) as a surprise unless someone specifically prefers them.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results