shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinion/Recommendations On Lab Diamond (Brilliant Earth)

JacksonJack

Rough_Rock
We are lucky to have a James Allen, Brilliant Earth, and Blue Nile showroom in the area. Went to all three and the fiance fell in love with a setting from Brilliant Earth. Luckily for me, BE also deals in lab diamonds which will save me quite a few dollars.

Looking for a round diamond in the 1.25 carat range that is eye-clean. We don't care about looking at it in a microscope. As long as it's colorless and sparkly and clean to the naked eye. And looking for the lab diamond to be under $3,500. Can anybody see if there's anything wrong with the diamond linked below? Or have any other recommendations from Brilliant Earth's lab diamond database?

https://www.brilliantearth.com/lab-diamonds-search/view_detail/7062466/

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just to check, have you asked your fiancé if she wants / would be happy with a lab diamond?

They are the same as mined diamonds in terms of chemical/physical properties, but us humans attach sentiment and emotion to a diamond ring, so not everyone likes them!

If she doesn't want one and you do buy one anyway, I don't envy you when she eventually finds out... lol

JacksonJack

Rough_Rock
Just to check, have you asked your fiancé if she wants / would be happy with a lab diamond?

They are the same as mined diamonds in terms of chemical/physical properties, but us humans attach sentiment and emotion to a diamond ring, so not everyone likes them!

If she doesn't want one and you do buy one anyway, I don't envy you when she eventually finds out... lol

Yup. She was there with me when we were at Brilliant Earth. They showed us a real diamond, a lab diamond, and a moissanite. She prefers the lab diamond for the sole reason that it's cheaper. But didn't want the Moissanite since it wasn't a diamond and she'd have to clarify to everybody anytime someone asked about her ring. Even though she couldn't really tell the difference between the diamond and the Moissanite.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yup. She was there with me when we were at Brilliant Earth. They showed us a real diamond, a lab diamond, and a moissanite. She prefers the lab diamond for the sole reason that it's cheaper. But didn't want the Moissanite since it wasn't a diamond and she'd have to clarify to everybody anytime someone asked about her ring. Even though she couldn't really tell the difference between the diamond and the Moissanite.
Excellent stuff - it sounds like you are both on the same page, which is great :)

I haven't really got time to look for stones today because of work :( but look for stones within these parameters and then run any you find through the HCA tool mentioned earlier - if they score under 2, you have a potentially good stone :)

Table 54-57% (extended range 53-58 )
Depth 60-62.4%
Crown angle 34-35 degrees (extended range 34-35.5, maybe even 36)
Pavilion angle 40.6-40.9 degrees

As the crown angle gets higher, the pavilion angle should get lower - i.e. 34 crown and 40.9 pavilion, but 35.5 crown and 40.6 pavilion

JacksonJack

Rough_Rock
Excellent stuff - it sounds like you are both on the same page, which is great :)

I haven't really got time to look for stones today because of work :( but look for stones within these parameters and then run any you find through the HCA tool mentioned earlier - if they score under 2, you have a potentially good stone :)

Table 54-57% (extended range 53-58 )
Depth 60-62.4%
Crown angle 34-35 degrees (extended range 34-35.5, maybe even 36)
Pavilion angle 40.6-40.9 degrees

As the crown angle gets higher, the pavilion angle should get lower - i.e. 34 crown and 40.9 pavilion, but 35.5 crown and 40.6 pavilion
Thanks. I've saved that HCA tool link and will run it through that with the diamonds I look at with the right parameters. And I'll use that to pick out the diamond.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results