shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinion polling: 2.3 carat princess or 2.0 carat round

Would you prefer the 2.3 carat princess or the 2.1 carat round?

• Option 1: The 2.3 carat princess

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Option 2: The 2.1 carat round

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

dr_c

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

I want to surprise my girlfriend with a diamond, but we have only gone ring shopping once before. At the time, she liked a princess cut that we looked at, but I think she would be amiable for any nice stone. I suspect she is going to be a bit of a size queen, so I present the following two stones for consideration:

1 - Princess cut: 2.3 carat, VS2, H
1.06 L/W
75% depth
69% table
Good symmetry and cut -- very good polish
7.46x7.01x5.30 mm

2 - Round cut: 2.1 carat, SI1, H
58.5% depth
59% table
Good symmetry and cut -- very good polish
Faint flourescence
8.47x8.38x4.92 mm

I would love to know what folks on the board would prefer, themselves, between the two options! (And I welcome all comments)

Thanks!

-T

NY SPARKLE

Rough_Rock
Hi dr-c

I wouldn't buy either of those at this moment until you get crown and pavillion angles. (especially at those yummy sizes) They could be gorgeous stones but unless you have that info you won't know. Pesonally I prefer the round 'cuz if its well cut it will out sparkle the princess anyday.
love.gif

weemodin

Shiny_Rock
Assuming the stone checks out okay, I'd vote for round. It's got a much larger diameter than the princess. Plus, round is timeless.

Robyn12

Shiny_Rock
I think if she liked the princess cut when you went shopping with her, you should go with princess. I think most women tend to prefer one or the other -- square or round -- and if the square is what spoke to her (especially if she put it on and liked the way it looked) I'd go with square.

Plus out of these two, the square but has better clarity and is bigger!

Good luck!

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
I wouldn't buy any of those two stones. I suggest you get more hints from your GF first. Yes she likes the pricess cut, but was she comparing it to the 2+ ct round? It will look much bigger!

For the specific round stone you choose, I don't like the table. You definitely need more stats to determine its cut quality.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 1/28/2004 1:39:09 PM Robyn12 wrote:

I think if she liked the princess cut when you went shopping with her, you should go with princess. I think most women tend to prefer one or the other -- square or round -- and if the square is what spoke to her (especially if she put it on and liked the way it looked) I'd go with square.

Plus out of these two, the square but has better clarity and is bigger!

Good luck!----------------

Hi, I'm not sure of the specific stone you're looking at, but regarding shape, I too agree with Robyn that you should consider just looking at princess cut stones UNLESS your girlfriend has actually shown interest in round stones as well. I too think that women tend to prefer one or the other. I love round stones and consider them timeless, but some may think they're boring because you see them most frequently. Possibly your GF thinks this way? Just make sure of her opinion before deciding on any stone
1.gif

Michelle

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Size matters, not weight: so #2.

Don't know how your previous ring hunting went, but if I get into a jewelry store and casulay say "that's nice" or "this is better" it rarely means much unless I ma really focused on a purchase. The limited choice available is usually very constraining, so a "choice" mai not convey much of what a person really wants. If you were only looking at princess cuts (or square stones) to begin with, this would be a strong hint, as oposed to some casual remark. Just a thought...

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Yep, I agree with some of the others that unless you're *sure* she'd be happy with a RB to go with a princess.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I wouldn't buy either of those stones either....the round may not be cut well. Do you have more data? 59% table and 58.5% depth would need more info , definitely. Crown and pav angles?

I'm not a princess fan so I would definitely go round brilliant, esp for the size difference...its huge in terms of diameter!

So find out more information on the round, but I am a RB girl. If you girl liked princess...then maybe thats what she wants. BUT if she wants size...then it's a RB.
2.gif
So hard to figure out!

dr_c

Rough_Rock
Well, the oracle has spoken (that's y'all). I am going to take the synthesized advise of this (and a couple of other threads) and intend to do the following:

I'm going with Round Brilliant; From the postings, it seems that is the choice for a size queen, and when she liked the princess, she liked having it surrounded by two triangular diamonds on the side. The budget won't support that right now given the size of the diamond I want to get her.

I'm going to look beyond Blue Nile; As was pointed out, they will not provide enough information in terms of dimensions to make an educated decision. Other threads discuss this point -- so I'm going to look at goodoldgold.com, www.niceice.com and www.whiteflash.com to find someone that will tell me about their product's crown and pavilion for their $14K!

Thanks to all for the advice!

-Dr C

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
As a square fan, I suggest talking to Jonathan at GOG to find you a squarish stone, if he can, or look for something in the shape she evidently liked...Yes round stones are timeless, but what is timeless to one person (lace wedding gown) is absolutely NOT timeless for another... Women are picky. If she's a size queen, that's one thing, but find out if she's a shape queen too... Good luck, and I am sure she'll be floored and exstatic either way!!!
1.gif

jenibear

Shiny_Rock
I am confused. If you said she liked a princess with triangle side stones (trilliants?), then why are you shopping for a round?
I agree with the posters who believe you have to figure out her preferences first. Doing a little more detective work won't hurt.
Find out if the size matters more than the shape or if she's got her heart set on a huge princess.
I myself love the square look and sacrificed some size for a D colored princess - because that's what I wanted.
Everyone's different.
But hey, if size is really all she cares about, I agree you should get an RB - or you can get a 3ct princess!
3.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Definitely find out more about her tastes. If people love a round or a square, they love that look. Loving size IMO does not equal princesses unless you can get a 3c princess which it sounds like you can't with the budget. The difference in size between 2c round and 2c princess is huge as you can see. But if she loves cut shape over size, then you should follow what she wants. You can always upgrade later.

Tough call...alot of people on here love rounds, so you are kind of asking a biased audience.
2.gif
See if you can find out more about her taste. She may not realize that the princess cut will sacrifice ALOT of size....and your budget may hinder getting a larger princess. In which case, she may want the round for the size ...plus well-cut rounds are just amazing anyway.
2.gif

I would suggest a Regent or similar for H&A brilliance in a squarish shape, but they are priced the same as H&A rounds AND they have more of the spread of a fancy princess rather than a round. So in that case you'd PAY for a H&A round but get the small spread which doesn't sound like it fits either. Still back to square one.
2.gif

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
My gut is telling me to either wait or go with a princess and find a great stone.... I am planning on a three stone and love the princess/radiant with trilliants look...and once you get that image into your head, it's hard to get it out.

Rounds are great, timeless, a bit more 'bang" in dimensions for your buck but I have seen princess stones that look like they are on fire... if you get a good stone, you won't "lose" anything in terms of sparkle and the look of a large rock.

Also, the eye is even more critical with fancy shapes, as the numbers are most reliable in round stones, so go look at stones in person or make sure there is a 100% return policy.

Good luck & post pics when done!
1.gif

canadiangrrl

Brilliant_Rock
If you think she especially liked the princess shape, go with a princess shape.
1.gif
What we (the collective P'scope we) think about the shape of the stone is ultimately irrelevant. Agree with the others though that you need more information. And, not that you asked, but I'd drop the size on that princess and up the colour to at least a G if you want to stay within your budget parameters. An H of that size in a princess cut may look slightly tinged. If you think that size would be more important to her than colour, and the slight possible tinge wouldn't bother her if she could get a bigger rock, then by all means, get the H. Just my opinion - which is ultimately irrelevant.
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results